Microsoft admits HoloLens will be flawed at launch

Dieter Holger

microsoft hololens e3 virtual reality vr augmented reality microsoft hololens

On Monday, Microsoft developer Kudo Tsunoda admitted that the first consumer ready version of HoloLens, a standalone Windows computer that lets you control and see holograms while wearing a visor, will only work properly when you look in the dead center of your vision.

In other words, if you move your eyes a little too far to the left or right, you won't see any holograms. HoloLens testers noticed this flaw when trying out the device and expected it would be corrected in time for launch.

But when Gizmodo asked Tsunoda if the vision flaw would be fixed he said, "It’s not final, but I would also say it’s not a huge dramatic difference in the final version from what you see today."

The HoloLens has delivered Microsoft much-needed praise as an innovator during a time when the company seeks to reinvent their brand. But although their vision for HoloLens appears effortless it looks like their first rendition might fail to execute. You have to admit, Microsoft's history of releasing frustrating products is something Windows customers are all too familiar with. And unlike Windows, HoloLens doesn't have the luxury of a massive base of users.

If the HoloLens isn't adopted Microsoft might give up on the concept for years, just look to Google Glass for an example of a shelved virtual reality hopeful.

Tsunoda didn't give a solid release date for the HoloLens, but hinted it wouldn't "be that far off" from Windows 10's July 29 distribution. If you haven't already, watch the mind-boggling concept video of Microsoft's HoloLens below.

Permalink to story.

I think that prolonged use of such technology may result in people hallucinating, after constantly seeing things that aren't there, and worse, trying to interact with them. The mental wards will rejoice to the new strain of clients. They will call them Holo-idddiots.

They should have called the device Videodrom, oh classy madness... :)

Last edited:
This actually seems really cool; time will tell how it all turns out though.

You have to admit, Microsoft's history of releasing frustrating products is something Windows customers are all too familiar with. And unlike Windows, HoloLens doesn't have the luxury of a massive base of users.
Spoken like someone who's never used major business software before. Where I work we use lots of external software packages, for accounting and tracking etc of financial securities, and for software development/coding. Everything has bugs. In fact, the most bug free stuff we use is Microsoft's stuff. Visual studio is stable, Office is excellent, and windows 7 (what everyone uses) is great. It's the stuff we've bought from other companies that's got bugs and tricks to learn to work around the random issues.

Of course the HoloLens will have a few hiccups, it's the first of it's kind. Glass was a toy, this looks like a tool.

Constantly seeing things that aren't there, and worse, trying to interact with them.

I think this technology would be awesome for pranks. Imagine if you could grab a colleague's Hololens while he's at lunch and program in a chair that's not there.

You have to admit, Microsoft's history of releasing frustrating products is something Windows customers are all too familiar with. And unlike Windows, HoloLens doesn't have the luxury of a massive base of users.
Spoken like someone who's never used major business software before. Where I work we use lots of external software packages, for accounting and tracking etc of financial securities, and for software development/coding. Everything has bugs. In fact, the most bug free stuff we use is Microsoft's stuff. Visual studio is stable, Office is excellent, and windows 7 (what everyone uses) is great. It's the stuff we've bought from other companies that's got bugs and tricks to learn to work around the random issues.

Of course the HoloLens will have a few hiccups, it's the first of it's kind. Glass was a toy, this looks like a tool.

Constantly seeing things that aren't there, and worse, trying to interact with them.

I think this technology would be awesome for pranks. Imagine if you could grab a colleague's Hololens while he's at lunch and program in a chair that's not there.
I think he was talking about consumer level releases (original xbox360, kinect, every other windows version, early lumia phones, etc). 2nd gen hololens should be much better. I expect this and VR to improve tenfold in the next couple of years.

Is anyone really surprised that a new tech is going to have bugs on launch day? Does everyone think that smartphones were just amazing from the beginning? No! Everything starts off as crap and turns out to be something amazing in the end

Back