Microsoft and Dropbox team up to offer direct Office integration

By Justin Kahn
Nov 4, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Just after Microsoft announced unlimited cloud storage for Office 365 subscribers, the company is now taking on an unlikely partner. While Redmond seems to be pushing into the cloud space aggressively, it has now announced a partnership with one of...

Read more
  2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I would have never expected this.... but this is great news since OneDrive kind of sucks currently and I would much rather have it for use on my Office for iPad.
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,408   +461

I didn't get it at first but Microsoft is actually worried with Drive's solution at hand, that now allows you to view and edit documents/pdf on mobile devices.
  4. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

Smart move. There are really 3 players in the "cloud" storage market for end users. OneDrive, Dropbox and Google drive. Prior to this announcement, for the everyday user it appeared as though oneDrive had some weird custom setup that allowed it to work with Office. This made Dropbox/Google Drive appear more standardized.

By adding Dropbox support to Office they've completely flipped the view. Now it seems like it's common and "normal" for office integration and it's Google's Drive who is now outdated and unable to keep up.

Instead of being a singular feature set, they've instead made their competitor look outdated and still managed to significantly increase their user base.