Microsoft announces thinner, faster 12-inch Surface Pro 3 starting at $799

By Jos
May 20, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Well what do you know? Despite shooting down rumors last week Microsoft has taken the wraps off the new Surface Pro 3 at a press event in New York City today. The new device is faster and thinner than its...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

So were gonna get worse battery life is that what your telling me?
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,550   +594

$800 for the base model means $1100 for the model you really want.

No thanks.
    Wendig0 and Jad Chaar like this.
  4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,339   +1,938

800 bucks just for a for a tablet? You're kidding, right?
    Wendig0 likes this.
  5. If you want to support Microsoft you have to buy one of these.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

They probably cost only $300 to make lol!
  7. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,372   +2,164

I have yet to handle a Surface personally, but this update looks like a decent potential replacement for my laptop in a couple years time. I'll have to see their pricing (which apparently starts at "steep" and threatens "vertical") for more powerful setups, but it appears they're taking the design where it needs to go.
  8. spectrenad

spectrenad TS Rookie Posts: 97   +18

Ofc it will cost a bit more than a laptop with the same specs, but you pay for the versatility, the touch screen, the increased resolution and the reduced size/weight of the components (miniaturization). If you don't need that, fine, I don't either, but stop bashing MS for the fun of it... At least they are trying to bring full fledged PCs to the tablet market, unlike Google and Apple, who sell mostly toys with limited functionality...
    techseven, St1ckM4n and Movatheaiur like this.
  9. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,372   +2,164

Don't bash Microsoft! Bash Apple/Google!
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,111   +1,377

For anyone camping for a new Surface, this looks like the first version that may be worth buying.
    techseven likes this.
  11. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

Oh man that 3:2 screen... 35mm photographers rejoice, you can view your pictures with no letterboxing/pillarboxing! Also, editing said images with Lightroom with toolbars minimized is probably going to be a dream.

That price though... =(
  12. So no mini, eh? I was actually looking forward to it.
  13. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

The price has always been high, when you compare the specs to other applicable devices you see the price is more in the ballpark than you would think. It maybe pricey, but you get a decent machine for your money that has full windows support in a tablet form with alot of power to back it up for the size.

Its not for everyone, but as with any device not everyone is going to want/need it. I still love my surface pro but I got mine for a slight discount.
    techseven, davislane1 and gibbstar like this.
  14. Seems like most of you guys are posting/complaining about a device you've obviously never used yet and most likely haven't used the older models either!? If you want to compare the Surface to an ipad or Android tablet then look at the Surface RT, This new Pro 3 model is truly looking like a valid laptop replacement (even decked out at $1,100)
    techseven and mosu like this.
  15. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 819   +385

what? there's called Windows Phone ;)
  16. Looks like a perfect replacement for my ASUS EP121 tablet
  17. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I hear ya, I'm sick of people complaining about the Surface Pro being an overpriced tablet, when really it's a very competitively priced touchscreen ultrabook. I don't think the iPad and Android tablets are toys though, they serve their purpose.

I have the same feeling about the Pro 3 as I did with the 2... I wish I had a reason/excuse to buy one. They look really slick.
  18. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Wow I was really excited, but for $800 seems like a real stretch.

Yeah my exact feelings :(.

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 906   +243

Wow they aren't screwing around... wonder how useful the docking station is though. I at least want to hook up two monitors to it. This really is a laptop replacement, albeit a much slicker one. You get laptop hardware in a tablet that can be a makeshift laptop. I love that they stuck with the magnetically attached keyboard too and only made it better. This looks like it may be on our list to replace many laptops someday.
  20. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

At $1650/$2050 before taxes for the i7 version plus the touch cover, I do not find it competitively priced against ultrabooks at all. The lower end Surface 3 Pros I'd agree with the statement, but certainly not the higher end ones.

I wish I had an excuse to drop the money for one as well, but I've got a computer in the waiting later this year where the $1700-$2100 would be much better spent on. Whether or not I can wait for Broadwell is up in the air.
  21. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Seems to be around double the price of an equivalent laptop. Frankly a laptop is more versatile but I still prefer a proper PC.
  22. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Yeah, the only reason I would buy a surface is for the touch screen/tablet form factor for taking notes. But yeah, typing notes is not much harder. Eh, I wonder if they will unveil a surface 3 with Windows RT on it. I feel like it must have been such a failure since they didnt update it this time around.
    mosu likes this.
  23. Skidmarksdeluxe

Make that $100.
  24. Skidmarksdeluxe

There's no denying the fact that nothing comes remotely close to being as good as a desktop PC but unfortunately they're not terribly portable. It's a good thing I'm not reliant on portable computing, my phone is all I need for that little task.
  25. I have a surface RT and albeit a watered down pc, it is still fabulous. I've been wanting a new surface for a while now. If I had the money and a tablet made sense for college I would totally buy this guy. I don't know what they're doing with the keyboards though, bigger screen is probably going to mean a bigger keyboard. Anyways, this looks so good. The kickstand would be amazing. Either way, I love my surface and I would so get one if I had money. Glad Microsoft is adding updates and building on their product.