Microsoft announces unlimited OneDrive cloud storage for Office 365 subscribers

Justin Kahn

microsoft dropbox google onedrive office

In the company’s continued attempt to take over the cloud storage space, Microsoft has now announced it is blowing the roof off OneDrive storage limits for Office 365 subscribers. The move comes as a surprise to many as the company just recently upped its limits to 1TB for subscribers and doubled its free storage space.

Unlimited storage will eventually roll out to Home, Personal and University 365 subscribers over the next few months, but those interested can get on the list for an early look over on the OneDrive Preview site. OneDrive for Business customers can expect to see the feature begin to roll out sometime in 2015.

With the series of updates and upgrades Microsoft’s cloud option has received over the past few months, its clear the company is looking to take down competition from Google and Dropbox. Unless either of those two respond in the meantime, OneDrive for 365 will offer unlimited cloud storage and access to Microsoft’s Office suite for $6.99 a month, compared to just 1TB of space for $9.99 from Google or Dropbox. 

As some have noted, Dropbox was pretty quick to drop prices once Microsoft’s initial 1TB offering appeared, so its likely to respond in some way to today’s announcement as well. Either way Microsoft is aggressively focused on its “quest of making OneDrive the world’s cloud storage leader.”

Permalink to story.

Awesome I might take them on that offer, hopefully my company will renew the microsoft partnership and offer a juicy discount to the employees for personal software.

Thats good news. I think I receive about 25 GB free storage from them at the moment but use less than 100 MB.

Last edited:
The one true thing I didn't like about SkyDrive was that it came pre-built with windows and it lagged my internet connection, luckily they've optimized the client configuration in order to avoid this and have it personalized to our liking (And broadband :p)

Awesome I might take them on that offer, hopefully my company will renew the microsoft partnership and offer a juicy discount to the employees for personal software.

In my experience, the discounts you receive from your employer are for Office 2013 purchases, not for the subscription. I was able to buy Office 2013 for $10, but that's not Office 365, so I can't take advantage of the unlimited storage. Maybe it varies from company to company, though...

In my experience, the discounts you receive from your employer are for Office 2013 purchases, not for the subscription. I was able to buy Office 2013 for $10, but that's not Office 365, so I can't take advantage of the unlimited storage. Maybe it varies from company to company, though...

Yeah I had the same benefit, although now I'm more interested in the cloud storage than getting into office 365 and Microsoft luckily gives both cheaper than the other solutions :p

Hopefully they start giving new benefits for partner employees :)

I think everybody should try to put a 100 terabytes out there, just to see what happens

Back