Microsoft Applications not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeomgy

Hi,
I am having a problem opening my e-mails once I get into Outlook 2007, launching software once I download them, and accessing internet explorer (can't navigate anything in it once I open it). Also when I try to shut my system down, I cannot. It stays open. Once I turn my computer on, it comes to the blue welcome page and does not advance until I do a "control, alt, delete" for several times, then it shows my background for a while. All microsoft icons for "words and powerpoint" arenot showing. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You're going to have to give us some error messages and/or copy the Errors in the Event Viewer that correspond to the problems:

This can be done in Safe Mode if that is all you can access. NOTE: You will see Error about Services not starting in Safe Mode. DO NOT copy those- that will be normal:

Start> Run> cmd> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)

Ignore Warnings. Please do not paste the entire Event log.

Did not work

My system would not let me do anything. I got the following message when I did the "run: eventvwr"

"MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc.
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC.
This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

<snip>
This can be done in Safe Mode if that is all you can access. NOTE: You will see Error about Services not starting in Safe Mode. DO NOT copy those- that will be normal:

Start> Run> cmd> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:
1. Click to open the log>
2. Look for the Error>
3 .Right click on the Error> Properties>
4. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow
5. Paste here (Ctrl V)

Ignore Warnings. Please do not paste the entire Event log.

if i can add some additional info to simplify a bit

You can enter eventvwr directly into the Start> Run box
Start> Run>type in eventvwr

Filter the log display to strip out data you don't want to see
After clicking the log you want, click View->Filter to reduce your log view to things you want. Filter applies until you modify the filter or delete filter by View->Filter, click Restore Defaults button
==> For Event types, only check Error if Error events are all you want to see

Seeing an Event's Properties
You can double click the event entry

And just a tool tip for those reading who run XP
You may want to check out Event Log Explorer (i attached a screen shot) Freeware to view/manage Event Logs with a different (I find nicer) user interface (e.g. use of color, additional options to manage and view logs such as ability to see Description text on same line as)

You can also access the Event Viewer like this:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer.

But it is part of the MMC Console and if that isn't installed, it won't be found. If it is missing or corrupt, download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...66-06F2-463C-82A2-CF20902FFAE0&displaylang=en

Additionally, the last part of the message indicates a possible permissions issue. If that is the case, Rat Cheddar can be run to restore:
Policy: Rats Cheddar
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t110219.html
See above for link:
Download RatsCheddar.zip and save it to your desktop. It is a Policy Controller program written by Rathat to remove certain restrictions on XP systems often disabled by malware.

* Extract (unzip) the file to the desktop. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
* Double-click on RatsCheddar.exe to launch the tool.
* Select Enable for everything listed, then click Exit.
* Restart your computer.

Warning: This program was developed for Windows XP ONLY. Do not run this program in any
other Operating System.

I can't open any programs I download. I got the following message when I tired "D:\Firefox Download\WindowsXP-KB958644-x86.ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

I tried to post my highjackthis log but my system would not let me do it.

I got the following message when I tired "D:\Firefox Download\WindowsXP-KB958644-x86.ENU.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Try removing this update in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

KB958644 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958644
Article ID: 958644 - Last Review: December 16, 2008 - Revision: 3.0
MS08-067: Vulnerability in Server service could allow remote code execution

Beta Information
This article discusses a beta release of a Microsoft product. The information in this article is provided as-is and is subject to change without notice.

No formal product support is available from Microsoft for this beta product. For information about how to obtain support for a beta release, see the documentation that is included with the beta product files, or check the Web location where you downloaded the release.

I don't see the update in my Add/Remove Programs. I can't even do a search to try and find it because that feature is disabled

So is it correct to say you
- Can do downloads file but can never or seldom open them?
- You can't do any web searches?

As if both true make for some unique challenges for remote assistance. do you have any of the Operating System install CDs?

Well you can try a "repair" first (use the same CDs) before an install

As a challenge (and inconvenience for you to keep doing which otherwise not so bad is done online) is downloading and running the various tools/antimalware stuff /etc needed to try find/fix your problem. Biggest problem is how to open anything you do manage to find and download?

/EDIT?
By incovenient doing was even if had to search and load stuff to removable media on a friends computer then move to yours is a pain if need keep repeating the process

But let me ask this:

Can you not open ANYTHING? downloads? install files, etc? can you note anything distinguishing things you can vs. cannot open?

/** EDIT **/
AND... is your problem with opening things ALWAYS the xxx is not a valid win32 application or does the error msg vary?

When you went to Add/Remove Programs to look for the update, do you have a checkmark in 'Show Update' at the top?

LookinAround, let's hold off on alternate paths until we get a better idea of what the problems are. (BTY,regarding filtering of the logs in the Event Viewer. Personally, I have set and reset the filters many times. But the next time I open the Event Viewer, all the Event show again. It seems to be a useless feature.) But let's not make this an issue here as it may distract the user from gaining some focus.

jeomgy, I am uncertain also as to what you can and cannot do on the system and what error messages you get. You began by telling us:

1. You cannot open email
2. You cannot access from IE.
3. You cannot shutdown.
4. The system does not pass the Welcome screen.
5. Icons are missing.

Basically, if the system doesn't pass the Welcome screen, none of the rest would be available.

I was hoping we could get information from the Event Viewer, but according to you, when you try to access it, you get message that the Management Console isn't available.

You are now adding :

1. "I can't open any programs I download." This indicates you are downloading program. You should not be doing that until we restore the stability to the system.
2. Then you say "I can't even do a search to try and find it because that feature is disabled"

Let's go back to the beginning:
Can you access the Event Viewer this way:
Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer. If you cannot, do you get the MMC message. What is it exactly.

LookinAround, hold off please until we get some ides of the status here. We need to get some focus from the user.

Bobbye,

I tried entering the event viewer this way: Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer, and I cannot. I get the following message "MMC cannot open the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventvwr.msc.
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC.
This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file."

Thanks for trying to help solve my problem.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow (note space after sfc before the /)then press enter to replace the system files, you need the XP CD.

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar, reboot when the bar goes

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

System File Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System File Checker.

The System File Check is only concerned with replacing missing or corrupt system files, and does not affect installed software or data

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back