Microsoft asks, would you sell back your digital games for 10 percent of what you paid?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Digital delivery is the preferred method of purchase for millions of gamers. Aside from the sheer convenience of not having to get out and go buy a physical copy of a game at the store or wait for it to arrive in the mail (pre-downloads are especially convenient for midnight launches), digital downloaders don't have to worry about their games being lost, stolen or damaged.

Buyers also don't have to deal with the hassle of physically switching out discs when they want to play a different game and the actual space that retail boxes take up.

The trade-off, of course, is that digital downloads are essentially a one-way street. By that, I mean you can't resell them once you get tired of them. Some would argue that physical games are also subject to better deals and if you're a collector, well, there's not much to collecting digital games.

But, what if you could trade in your digital games?

That's the question Microsoft is reportedly presenting people as part of its Xbox Customer Survey. Specifically, Microsoft wants to know if gamers would "sell back" their digital games for 10 percent of the purchase price in store credit.

For example, if you paid $60 for a digital game, you'd get $6 back in store credit by relinquishing your rights to play it.

On one hand, it's a digital game that currently has no resell value so anything is better than nothing. Conversely, one could argue that 10 percent is hardly worth the effort as you'd have to trade in ten games that you paid $60 for each just to get one new $60 title. What's more, the money is staying in the ecosystem either way as it would be issued in store credit versus cash.

So, would you bite? Sound off in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

That's like saying why don't they make cars for 1/10th of what they cost? Really, tho, why don't they? If they removed the $15,000 duty on japanese trucks, they would. $15,000!

"Conversely, one could argue that 10 percent is hardly worth the effort as you'd have to trade in six games that you paid $60 for each just to get one new $60 title."

10% of $60 = $6

6 games * $6 = $36

:p
In defense of Shawn's minor mathematical misstep, let me say "we don't need no steenking math here at Techspot! (We have computers which could, (ostensibly), do it for us)....:cool:

Both M$ and Sony should have this option already.

As for the rate...this is about par for what you get anyways.* The only way you're going to make a better recovery selling a used game is to buy it used first and resell after you're finished with it.

*The exception being near-release resells and 1yr+ resells, which would be below and above, respectively.

Yeah, sounds just dandy. I get 10% for my games..which requires me to have a MICROSOFT ACCOUNT to sell them, which involves real money, which means Microsoft gets to sell all my personal info. Seriously, screw that company and anything that looks like it.

They had my credits stolen at one point and then 'refunded' them and then they were expired before I used em. So no, I'll never use the MS store again.

I think I would ask what the average profit is that Microsoft receives on said games, then offer 50% of that, a sort of revenue splitting .....

A couple of problems with this. First, you get your money back in monopoly cash. No, I don't want to only choose from 1 place. The second problem is that 10% is far too low for only store credit. This is as bad as Gamestop's trade-in program. You have to trade in 10 games just to get fricking 1.

Microsoft can talk about how much it loves it's customers but it's actions certainly say the opposite. The only company that has had more eclectic opportunities to rip it's customers off this year than Microsoft is Comcast and I'd say it's a hell of a close race.

Considering it's 0% right now, I love how people are complaining about it. You don't buy digital to sell back, but if the option was there for a game I'd never play again I'd probably do it. Right now I just "hide" em...

Should be able to sell a digital copy to someone else for whatever price you want, then they can charge a % off that a their fee. Greed is not good.

Yeah, sounds just dandy. I get 10% for my games..which requires me to have a MICROSOFT ACCOUNT to sell them, which involves real money, which means Microsoft gets to sell all my personal info. Seriously, screw that company and anything that looks like it.
why would they sell your personal info?

I think you're overreacting. I realize the sacrifices you would have to make, with respect to your investment in games, along with the expenditure of time and effort involved, in order to offer your personal information to M$. Which after all, is a dream of each and every one of us, to be cuddled in the loving arms of the "all knowing, people's information loving monopoly", which is M$.

Relax, you don't have to beg, plead, or prostrate yourself before the new Indian Godhead whose earthly visage is known as "Nadella", to embrace the warmth of full integration into the, "Internet community of the damned".

All ya gotta do is, click on the button which says, "Install the Windows 10 update".....:eek:^10th.....

Last edited:
"Conversely, one could argue that 10 percent is hardly worth the effort as you'd have to trade in six games that you paid $60 for each just to get one new $60 title."

10% of $60 = $6

6 games * $6 = $36

:p
In defense of Shawn's minor mathematical misstep, let me say "we don't need no steenking math here at Techspot! (We have computers which could, (ostensibly), do it for us)....:cool:

To be fair I think he was trying to see if M$ had any concept of math, and if he could trick them into cheaper games. Right ? With every game a free Japanese truck worth $15k...

Well considering MS games are more expensive than Steam or Stores in the first place definetely no, can save more than 10% on the purchase price never mind resale.

Whatever and whoever
maybe, but so could many other places... the police, hospitals, where ever you work, steam, good old games, humble bundle, sony, ect, ect could all sell your information to someone.

but theres no reason for any of them including microsoft to sell your information to anyone for nasty dark purposes. I could see them selling the information to marketing people but they wouldnt sell anything to personal.

They are not going to be selling fake ids based on real information or selling passwords to your picture collection to some random person or selling ss or credit card numbers or account information...

unless you are someone important, theres no need to be worried about a company selling your information. They gain very little and risk a ton selling random people personal information. its bad for business.

its one thing to be worried about someone stealing and doing bad stuff with your information. its another thing to be worried about someone stealing and doing bad stuff with your information with no actual base for the concern other than being overprotective with your things

maybe, but so could many other places... the police, hospitals, where ever you work, steam, good old games, humble bundle, sony, ect, ect could all sell your information to someone.
I know this topic is about MS games, so it is off topic to talk about MS in general and much more to talk about others. However out of all those mentioned, none of them are as personal as an OS of which we trust with all our data.

I think it's a good idea for people that play/beat a game and never touch it EVER again (which is A LOT of people).

If you think 10% is not enough just don't do it, no harm done.

For me personally, I'm "emotionally attached" to my games so to speak, so I would never sell one back. I also replay the classics from time to time. But as I said, for a lot of people that ONLY want to play the latest stuff, this would be a really good option

Back