Microsoft automatically updated some Windows 7/8 PCs to Windows 10 by mistake

Scorpus

Staff member

Over the past couple of days, some users have noticed (and complained) that their Windows 7 or 8 system has been upgraded to Windows 10 automatically thanks to Windows Update.

The issue arose after Microsoft listed Windows 10 as an "optional" update in Windows Update. Normally optional updates are unticked, meaning a user has to select them manually or they won't be installed as part of an automatic update routine. However Microsoft accidentally ticked the update when it was listed, so it began to automatically install on some systems.

Luckily the Windows 10 installation process requires user intervention, so a savvy user could have easily aborted the update and returned to using Windows 7 or 8. However some users may have proceeded with the installation not fully realizing what was going on, leading to a big surprise when their computer's operating system drastically changed.

In a statement released to Ars Technica, Microsoft admitted that the update was "checked as default", which "was a mistake and we are removing the check". The company also said that they decided to list Windows 10 in Windows Update as the service is an intuitive and trusted way to receive updates.

Permalink to story.

Seems fine to me. :)
( I had to download windows 10 media creation tool so I can upgrade my three desktops to windows 10 pro after windows 10 was launched on july 29, 2015))

on my very old core duo 1.6ghz with windows 7 home premium 64bit, the icon to upgrade already appeared but I have yet to manually update to windows 10 pro.
the problem lies in the free storage space as I have only 2gb available.
I have yet to decide which old files get permanently deleted or transferred to dvd-r discs.

And thanks to ghacks.com I've managed to avoid all of them. Never knew it'd be so annoying to keep a 2nd drive with 8.1 as a fallback due to their damned persistence.

With all the info retrieval they already do, it'd be nice if they make it realize if 10 is already installed on another drive at least.

I checked my windows update and it was automatically checked. I'm not exactly opposed to moving up to 10 from 8.1 but I always do a clean install and I'm still waiting for drivers to mature a bit on 10.

Windows 10 still has a number of critical issues effecting its stability. I have heard of a number of installations which had some problems especially on older (4 or more year) PCs. One of them had a problem with the start menu were it wasn't openning. Another had a problem with AMD display drivers when Windows 10 automatically installed an incompatible driver and f*ed up the display with flashes of rainbow colours even in the bios... Once I somehow managed to install Windows 7 the problem was over.

f*ed up the display with flashes of rainbow colours even in the bios...
I'm sorry but that one can't be blamed on the OS.

I know what your talking about. First thing which crossed my mind was that the GPU overheated or passed away, however I also read that installing a GPU display driver also upgrades the GPU firmware. This explained why I had rainbow colours on the bios itself before the OS boots. The most surprising thing was that during the Windows 7 installation, when the GPU default drivers where being installed, the rainbow colours disappeared totally! and after 3 months there has been no issue with this PC... So I think it was a bad driver which Windows 10 automatically installed.

Sons of bitches..

this is going to be the heaviest monitored and controlled OS yet that's why they are giving it away for free.
I bet its going to be the NSA friendliest version to date..with the core being always online and your OS communicating data with Microsoft...this is really a story of a captive audience there is no real second option for the normal user gamer..I would not upgrade only thing that will break me is DX12 ill have to upgrade at one point... and live knowing from that point on all my usage behavior and data is shared with the government

Windows 10 still has a number of critical issues effecting its stability. I have heard of a number of installations which had some problems especially on older (4 or more year) PCs. One of them had a problem with the start menu were it wasn't openning. Another had a problem with AMD display drivers when Windows 10 automatically installed an incompatible driver and f*ed up the display with flashes of rainbow colours even in the bios... Once I somehow managed to install Windows 7 the problem was over.
My personal experience is Windows Updates installing drivers is the best way to stuff your drivers. They simply cannot be trusted for this task and that is reason alone to audit all updates and never install Windows Updates on the day of release despite the risk - WU poses more risk to hose my machine than viruses. Use workarounds instead in the short term.

Microsoft accidentally updates 100% of Windows 7 and 8 PCs to Windows 10, they didn't even want high Windows 10 market share. Read more.

It's a bit problematic. As a gamer, I'm pretty much forced to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point in a not too distant future. But as a gamer, it's also crucial that I have complete control over things such as updating my drivers to whatever version is best for my use case and it's equally important that I'm able to avoid system updates known to cause issues with certain games or the components in my system. Forced auto-updating is therefore not an option for me... at all. They're basically forcing me to get the professional version instead of home edition. Makes me wonder if they did it on purpose to force some people into paying for the upgrade.

Win10 was an easy update for the 2 pc's I own (pc/laptop). Both came with 8.1
Personally, the update was 100% seamless, and the first upgrade since the DOS
days that didn't wreck anything. Once I put classic start menu back on it, can't really
tell the difference between it and Win7. As long as you have the pro or higher, you can
turn off the auto update, but most of your "best buy" shoppers only walk away with
the home version.

The "best buy" shoppers as you call them need their auto updating to be honest.

Sounds like anyone really stressed about privacy should use a windows PC for gaming and a really basic Linux distro for comms.

Another had a problem with AMD display drivers when Windows 10 automatically installed an incompatible driver and f*ed up the display with flashes of rainbow colours even in the bios...

This right here makes me think everything you just said was pulled out of your ***, or either you have multiple issues with this PC and you were confused and/or deny that it was something entirely different than a Windows 10 update in which was causing issues for this particular PC.

Once I somehow managed to install Windows 7 the problem was over.

And I suppose you would claim this fixed this issues with the bios as well?

f*ed up the display with flashes of rainbow colours even in the bios...
I'm sorry but that one can't be blamed on the OS.

I know what your talking about. First thing which crossed my mind was that the GPU overheated or passed away, however I also read that installing a GPU display driver also upgrades the GPU firmware. This explained why I had rainbow colours on the bios itself before the OS boots. The most surprising thing was that during the Windows 7 installation, when the GPU default drivers where being installed, the rainbow colours disappeared totally! and after 3 months there has been no issue with this PC... So I think it was a bad driver which Windows 10 automatically installed.

I read this as well, if somehow windows 10 upgraded the firmware for you PC, then installing windows 7 wouldnt have downgraded the firmware, thus continuing to give you your claimed issues in the BIOS. Because it doesnt matter what OS you have, your BIOS is your BIOS....

Anyways, I have had nothing but good luck on installing Windows 10 on several PCs. The only issues I've run into with customers, is when they have malware of PUPs, or even some particular microsoft software, I couldnt tell you exactly what it was, because I just started uninstalling things. My guess is it was something with one of the Visual C++ updates, but could not verify unfortunately.

I had also read that the Update was bypassing settings in Active Directory and forcing itself onto business PCs. When I brought it to the attention of my IT department they told me it's under Optional Updates so it won't automatically install. I guess the rules don't apply in Microsoft any more.

There are a number of bugs in Windows 10 and there is no real useful way to alert Microsoft about it, only soporific routes. The most annoying one is the little screen that comes up telling you that you need to get an app to bring up the screen you want - Right on top of the screen you want to read.
WORSE, in some applications you can get rid of it by clicking the mouse, others require [Esc], and some you have to go to the Tab to make it disappear.
The Gall of Microsoft to keep pushing their unneeded, unwanted App Store.

Ever since Win10 was released, the tickbox has been checked 'on' by default under 'Windows Update > Optional > Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro', on both my personal computer and a friend's computer. I'm running Win8.1 Pro x64 and he's running Win8.1 Home x64. Any time we do a Win update, we have to manually uncheck that box to prevent the upgrade to Win10. But this article is stating it's a goof by MS during the past few days, which doesn't jive with our personal experience. Am I missing something here or have others seen the same issue we have?

They claim it's a "mistake" but honestly with those updates, that were called out about and more have been forcing Windows 10 on consumers. It auto-downloads Windows 10 without asking, if you have it set to auto-download updates. Then it tries to repeatedly install in the background, I wiped my system clean just recently so hopefully things don't end up as broken.

I was wondering what's up often, and repeatedly seen that each restart = Windows Update trying to install Windows 10. It's optional huh Microsoft? You want everyone on your OS, so you can keep everyone under lock and key.

I usually have my update settings to not install automatically. Updated my HP to Windows 10 and the fingerprint reader didn't work so back to Windows 8.1. Also found out Windows 10 doesn't support "Active Synch" which one of my program needed.

Don't tell the "Windows 10 is a big hit" crowd* that you are having issues. They'll call you a heretic or better yet tell you your opinions shouldn't be allowed to be posted. They might even suggest they don't even contribute to the topic or conversation. You might as well consider Windows 10 a big success and accept it regardless of the issues you may have. I'm serious that is the way some feel.

With that said I do have Windows 10 installed on my main and Notebook. I'm not experiencing any major issues either, but there are certain things I definitely don't like. Such as finding a need to replace the Start Menu, Media Player, Partitioning Utility, Backup Manager, File Manager, & Internet Explorer. Hell I couldn't care less about Cortana, Windows search, or Skype. If I actually cared about security, I probably wouldn't be using Windows Defender (aka:Security Essentials) either. You know basically every additional component bloating Windows. Just because someone installs Windows 10 doesn't make it a big hit.

* You know the ones that post; we don't have issues, there is nothing wrong with Windows 10. They see themselves as the majority. Windows 10 installation numbers have gone to their head.

Back