Microsoft baits iPhone owners with new trade-in offer, $200+ for your iPhone

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft iphone owners trade- deal iphone trade in program

Microsoft has launched a new smartphone trade-in program designed to convince iPhone users to switch to a Windows Phone device. A company representative said the offer is part of Microsoft’s Recycle for Rewards program that allows customers to trade in old electronics like smartphones, tablets and even Xbox consoles in exchange for a Microsoft Store gift card.

Redmond is inviting those with gently used iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 smartphones to trade them in. Microsoft will issue a gift card valued at a minimum of $200 for each phone, we’re told. The gift cards can be used at a Microsoft Store towards the purchase of a Windows Phone device or anything else the store sells.

Customers must bring their used iPhones to a Microsoft retail store in the US, Canada or Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, trade-ins are not accepted online which is a bit restrictive as there are only 77 total retail stores collectively across all participating regions. The offer is good through November 3 but you might be wise to check other options like Gazelle and NextWorth before pulling the trigger as these services typically offer a decent amount for used devices.

It is the second such promotion in less than a month as an earlier offer tempted iPad owners with a similar deal. Microsoft began accepting gently used iPad 2, 3 or 4s as credit toward a Surface RT or Pro earlier this month. That offer still stands as Microsoft will accept iPads through October 27.

Permalink to story.

I would never switch to WP8, I like the OS, but the app ecosystem is lacking severely.

You know, I wasn't going to say anything but this comment really, really frustrates me about most people. The applications a platform has, actually means very little in the face of whether or not you enjoy using it. What exactly do you like doing on a phone, you know a communications device, that would require much, if any additional applications? Answer these 3 questions:

1) Can you make a phone call (Supposedly the primary function of a phone)
2) Can you send a message (SMS, MMS, and if necessary a third party application)
3) Can you browse the internet?

A fourth question would be, can a windows phone based device do all of the above? if you answered yes to that last question then you have absolutely no foot to stand on with regards to what you just said, so the fact you say you like the OS and then contradict that immediately by saying you'll never switch to it based on the fallacy that is the number of apps a platform has just depresses me. Did you know that applications on a smart phone are actually just extensions, or native installations of a website based service. Think of your banking app, that just facilitates easier access to the same functions you get on the banks mobile site. Most apps are just wrappers for these mobile sites, and last I checked, most sites worth visiting have them and one of the only benefits of using an app is just so that you don't have to type in the url all the time, but again, last I checked you have something called a favourites section in your browser. Granted, there are times when a native installation is the superior option, but I digress.

I personally don't get the appeal most people find having the platform with the most apps, as most of these apps are mostly worthless anyway, and besides there are many alternatives to choose from, but maybe you can explain it to me? Otherwise, the fact the windows phone platform has only got 200,000 apps means nothing, its just your bias towards a particular platform that is coming through loud and clear so don't fool yourself further, please!

Most iPhone 5 s would still be under contract and if not would fetch a hack of a lot more off of EBay. A rather silly and desperate sounding offer from Microsoft. What will they do with any phones they get? Probably trash them - what an ignorant waste.

Maybe they should put these efforts into a competitive product?

I sold my iPhone 5 for $530 on ebay a few months ago. I had originally paid $50 for it with an iPhone 4S trade-in at Best Buy Mobile.

I had to switch carriers and purchased an HTC 8X. Big mistake. Almost been lost or killed thanks to the lack of a nice GPS. "Nokia Here" is thankfully free, but the phone sucks. No apps. I would trade back in a heartbeat.

You personally don't get the appeal most people find having the platform with the most apps? Fine, but don't accuse others of bias if they find WP8 lacking in key apps (which is true). And as it happens, the one common gripe that nearly all tech writers lament about is the lack of key apps that most people use on other platforms.
If anything your defence of WP8 comes across as bias when most people use smartphones for the ability to run apps and not have to pull out laptops or tablets. If as you say you need your phone to run a few basic things then you don't really need a smartphone.

I would never switch to WP8, I like the OS, but the app ecosystem is lacking severely.
As "Guest" so succinctly put it in the post below yours. Most apps, whether they be iOS, Android or Windows are totally worthless. As long as they offer the really important ones, it's immaterial to me.

Guest said:
JC713 said:
You know, I wasn't going to say anything but this comment really, really frustrates me about most people.
And your comment frustrates me. I run Dashlane, U-verse, Toopher, Backblaze, and Viper SmartStart on my iPhone. None of these apps are available on Windows phone, hence the reason I didn't make the switch.

As "Guest" so succinctly put it in the post below yours. Most apps, whether they be iOS, Android or Windows are totally worthless. As long as they offer the really important ones, it's immaterial to me.

Thats valid.
moviepipe.jpg

And your comment frustrates me. I run Dashlane, U-verse, Toopher, Backblaze, and Viper SmartStart on my iPhone. None of these apps are available on Windows phone, hence the reason I didn't make the switch.

Ah, typical response. I touched a nerve and you spew nonsense as a reflex. Why do you think these apps are not on this particular platform?

Let me spin it the other way, why are those apps on your platform of choice? Perhaps the very same reason its not on windows phone, wouldn't you say? Lack of people, or abundance of people, depending on perspective.

Lack of people = less apps
Abundance of people = more apps

So how do we solve this little problem? You tell me?

Oh, and did I say to you "Guest", singled you out, and insisted that you switch to windows phone? Where was the gun to your head in what I said? I simply stated a valid fact about the problem most people seem to have with a perfectly good platform, so if people refuse to take the plunge, then how, pray tell, do you think a platform will ever grow if all it is ever confronted with is stubborn people too hopped up on the apple/android drug to think straight see anything else as viable? If the people come, so too will the apps, but one will not start without the other, or can you prove me wrong on that point?

Wow someone's a bit butt hurt. If you just want to use your phone to call and text go by a Nokia 5310 lol. You obviously don't need a smartphone. And yeah, it's obvious you're in love with windows phones. Again, severely butt hurt.

Back