Microsoft calls out PlayStation 4 Pro over lack of 4K Blu-ray player, subpar performance

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony is on pace to strike first in the 4K console war after unveiling a more powerful version of its PlayStation 4 earlier this week. The PlayStation 4 Pro packs a faster processor, better graphics and support for 4K resolution and HDR. Netflix is even working on an app that’ll allow Pro owners to stream video in 4K quality.

Sounds impressive, right? Not according to Microsoft.

The Redmond-based company took to Twitter shortly after Sony unveiled the PlayStation 4 Pro to tout its Xbox One S. It seems that Microsoft’s key issue with the PS4 Pro is the fact that it doesn’t feature a 4K Blu-ray player, an unusual omission indeed.

What’s more, Aaron Greenberg, Xbox Games marketing boss, tweeted a list of specifications for the PS4 Pro before proclaiming that Project Scorpio – the codename for Microsoft’s speedier Xbox One that’s currently in development – will be the most powerful console ever made.

Microsoft says Project Scorpio will have six teraflops of processing power compared to just 4.2 teraflops from the PS4 Pro.

Pure processing power is one thing but Sony potentially has something even more powerful on its side – time. The last we heard, Project Scorpio wouldn’t be ready until the 2017 holiday shopping season. Sony’s PS4 Pro, meanwhile, launches in two months on November 10 (priced at $399).

Assuming both launch dates stand, Sony could have a full year on the market before its next next-gen competition arrives.

Permalink to story.

Really would have liked the 4K bluray but if it would increase costs or make the drive less durable I'm ok with not having one. As long as I get bloodborne to run at 60fps in 1080p Ill buy it.

Isn't it possible and even likely that the ps4pro can get an update to a 4k Blu-ray player via system update? I don't care about the player not doing 4k just yet.

Isn't it possible and even likely that the ps4pro can get an update to a 4k Blu-ray player via system update? I don't care about the player not doing 4k just yet.
It is not a software problem, the problem is in bluray player not being compatible with 4K content.

It is not a software problem, the problem is in bluray player not being compatible with 4K content.
What about the Blu-ray player makes it not compatible with 4k content? A laser reads a disc. Isn't the rest software? Or is there a potential information bus problem that makes it too slow to handle it?

What about the Blu-ray player makes it not compatible with 4k content? A laser reads a disc. Isn't the rest software? Or is there a potential information bus problem that makes it too slow to handle it?

Same reason you can't play blu-ray discs in standard def DVD drives....

To elaborate, 4K Blu-ray uses up to tree layers each 33GB in size vs the regular Blu-ray that does 25GB per layer. Also a factor is the increased data speeds of up to 128mb/s vs the 54mb/s of 1080p Blu-ray, this can't simply be updated into the drive as far as I can tell. Perhaps also a factor in while Microsoft is going to be a year behind Sony with the console refresh, they need time for the price to decrease on this new technology. Processing power will obviously be increased compared to the PS4 Pro, a year is a long time and like all things technology related performance increases every year.

"Greatest Games" Oh really, that's why all these games will be playable on PC defeating the purpose to owning this console at all, which if I may add in a years time will be way more capable of 4K gaming than any console.

Let's not forget the false advertisement that is 4k blu-ray discs. If almost all movies are recorded at 2k how can Hollywood magically make a 2k recording into 4k? That's right they just upscale the normal blu-ray version to 4k and act like the movies are native 4k when it couldn't be further from the truth. So for most of these 4k blu-ray discs you won't notice much of a difference between them and a normal blu-ray being upscaled to 4k by the PS4 Pro hardware. Also I don't understand the tweet above since PS4 slim is smaller than the Xbox One S, includes HDR, has the same games, and has better framerates/graphics at 1080p for $299.

Same reason you can't play blu-ray discs in standard def DVD drives....

No it's not for the same reasons, a Blu-ray drive has a different laser than a DVD drive. A 4k Blu-ray drive simply needs better hardware than a normal blu-ray drive that can handle 4k media and support playing their horrible new 4k drm.

And what, you'll play games on a 4K screen upscaling from 720p? for at least 1 year the PS4 Pro is the only console that can do any decent 4K gaming. for just 100$ more you get a console that is 3-4 times more powerful.
Theyre referring to scorpio when they talk about raw power, xbox one S when it comes to 4k bluray support, etc.

No it's not for the same reasons, a Blu-ray drive has a different laser than a DVD drive. A 4k Blu-ray drive simply needs better hardware than a normal blu-ray drive that can handle 4k media and support playing their horrible new 4k drm.

And what do you think that better hardware is, hmm?

For 4K Blu-Ray, you need a drive that can handle the 33GB/layer Blu-ray format and up to three layers... basically like BD-XL, which has been around for years as a recordable format. But standard BDs are 25GB/layer and only two layers. Of course, the device needs the 4K player application, decryption, HEVC decoding at 4K, etc. I'd be surprised if the PS4 couldn't do all that. But if the drive can't support it, no deal.

Peak speed is 128Mb/s... that's less than a 4x drive. The PS3 has a 2x drive. Not a significant extra expense, not even really new technology.

I suspect they just didn't feel like paying for the 4K Blu-ray licensing. Most won't care, so what's the worry? I'll stick to my PS3... will resist the dark side at least until 2017, but for at least some, like me, who used the PS3 as their primary BD player as well as a game machine, this is a dealbreaker.

Someone should make a console that plays PS and Xbox games in one console and then laugh all the way to the bank.

How many 4K movies/series are on Netflix and Prime? 20 maybe? Where are the herp derp PS4 people that went crazy over the XB1 killing there bandwith and caps? Comcast and other ISPs that cap must have touched themselves when the PS4 Pro was announced.

My bet is that Sony will have something else coming next year to compete with the "Scorpio" which is scheduled to release Holiday season 2017. As for the PS4 Pro and it's lack of a 4K Blu-ray player? Meh.. whatever. Doesn't matter to me really. I am currently watching my movies and gaming on a Vizio P-series 4K 65" (P65-C1), which is a pretty @#$%&% amazing display, if I may add. My 4K blu-ray player up-scales 1080p content beautifully to the point that you would think it was true 4K. Even 1080p streaming content from Netflix, VUDU, etc., all look amazing when upscaled with my Vizio.

Anywho, the TL;DR.. no 4K Blu-ray player on the PS4 Pro? No big deal imo. Would it be nice? Sure.. Necessary? No. Let's worry about that when 4K becomes more mainstream. Say.. Holiday Season 2017. :p

My bet is that Sony will have something else coming next year to compete with the "Scorpio" which is scheduled to release Holiday season 2017. As for the PS4 Pro and it's lack of a 4K Blu-ray player? Meh.. whatever. Doesn't matter to me really. I am currently watching my movies and gaming on a Vizio P-series 4K 65" (P65-C1), which is a pretty @#$%&% amazing display, if I may add. My 4K blu-ray player up-scales 1080p content beautifully to the point that you would think it was true 4K. Even 1080p streaming content from Netflix, VUDU, etc., all look amazing when upscaled with my Vizio.

Anywho, the TL;DR.. no 4K Blu-ray player on the PS4 Pro? No big deal imo. Would it be nice? Sure.. Necessary? No. Let's worry about that when 4K becomes more mainstream. Say.. Holiday Season 2017. :p

Oh.. and this too... #PCMasterRace :p

The lack of a UHD Blu-Ray player is indeed *****ic, just like all the PlayStations' lack of SACD playback (since Sony invented this unasked-for format in the first place).

But XBox shouldn't even be a consideration for a self-respecting consumer. Not only does Microsoft CHARGE EXTRA for the ability to get Netflix or other streaming services (on top of the services' full fees), but now apparently they've taken away your ability to play head-to-head games AT HOME.

Yeah, apparently the XBox no longer lets you play against the person sitting next to you. WTF?

And what, you'll play games on a 4K screen upscaling from 720p? for at least 1 year the PS4 Pro is the only console that can do any decent 4K gaming. for just 100$ more you get a console that is 3-4 times more powerful.

Don't be fooled by the marketing the new PS4 won't be powerful enough for native 4k. It will probably just be 1080p upscaled with HDR and other tricks to try and improve the image.

The Xbox S may have enough horsepower to actually do native 4k but I have a feeling there will still be compromises made.

Back