Microsoft completes its $2.5 billion acquisition of Minecraft creator Mojang

Justin Kahn

Mojang, the developer behind Minecraft, is now officially a Microsoft company. After being announced in mid-September, the expected $2.5 billion deal has now gone through. Head of Xbox Phil Spencer made the acquisition official saying “today we welcome Mojang to the Microsoft Studios family. We're excited for the possibilities ahead with the Minecraft community.”

Mojang is being especially particular about ensuring confidence in the massive community of Minecraft gamers out there as well. “Change is scary, and this is a big change for all of us. It’s going to be good though. Everything is going to be OK,” the company said in a statement regarding the sale. “Please remember that the future of Minecraft and you – the community – are extremely important to everyone involved. If you take one thing away from this post, let it be that.”

Minecraft creator Markuss Persson, who said on Twitter back in 2012 it would take about $2 billion to get him to step away, got what he was asking for. But according to him, the sale has little to do with financial gain. Persson who will be leaving the company as part of the deal previously said “it’s not about the money, it’s about my sanity…I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.”

For those of you that enjoy the blocky world on platforms outside of Microsoft’s, the company has previously said it will continue to support Minecraft on other platforms including Sony’s consoles and iOS.

Permalink to story.

“Change is scary, and this is a big change for all of us. It’s going to be good though. Everything is going to be OK,” the company said in a statement regarding the sale. “Please remember that the future of Minecraft and you – the community – are extremely important to everyone involved. If you take one thing away from this post, let it be that.”

In other words... "please don't run off since we bought Minecraft, I know how bad you hate us, but please give us a chance."

How long before Microsoft kills it entirely. I give it a year. Minecraft is the anti-Microsoft game and there is no crossover between the Microsoft culture and the Minecraft culture. Microsoft merely paid 2.5 billion dollars to kill an entire culture. Smooth move. In a year there will be a tenth the players there are today.

I hope they bundle minecraft free with Windows!
Imagine the Creativity that will flow!
are you kidding? microsoft? free? :p

Well, they already did, that's if you don't read other articles.

Windows is Free on any 9" or any Tablets
Windows 10 will be free upgrade for Windows 8 and 8.1 OS
Windows Office 365 is free for Windows Tablets and Surface Pros
Windows OneDrive is FREE for those who have Office 365

Visual Studio and SQL server also have fully working express editions for free, with their pro versions being aimed at companies. The old days of Microsoft are long over, some people need to catch up with modern times.

And I doubt they'll destroy Minecraft. I'm confident they will keep true to the original ideals and improve it.

Well, they already did, that's if you don't read other articles.

Windows is Free on any 9" or any Tablets
Windows 10 will be free upgrade for Windows 8 and 8.1 OS
Windows Office 365 is free for Windows Tablets and Surface Pros
Windows OneDrive is FREE for those who have Office 365
My point was that microsoft wont give anything out for free that it can still make money off of.
Especially minecraft.

Lol they won't offer it free with windows. The more likely case is that it comes with a new windows OS whether you like it or not, and part of the price for that OS will be minecraft. Kind of like how they required you to buy a kinect with the xbox one IF you bought it. It's just that M$ can probably actually get away with the minecraft windows "bundle."

Back