TechSpot

Microsoft confirms Windows Blue update is shipping later this year

By Dave LeClair
May 7, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Rumors about what exactly Windows Blue will be have flown around the Internet for months and we already have a few ideas of what to expect. Now, thanks to a blog post from Microsoft interviewing Chief Marketing Officer and Chief Financial Officer...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,069   +704

Yeah, like computers maybe! If they include options to get rid of the swiping in from the sides of the screen to get to menus then I'll buy it. Multiple monitors are common nowadays and it shouldn't be a hassle to use your PC because of it.

Maybe they could put a button in the bottom left that would allow you access programs and settings and such. Just an idea.
  3. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 149   +64

I have seen nothing so far in Win 8.1 that really compels me to move my desktops to MS's second gen cell phone OS.
  4. Microsoft has gotten to be about as ugly as Apple since its introduction of Windows 8, and its going to take a lot more than a mediocre upgrade to make it look pretty again. Initially, I thought 8 would be a worth upgrade to 7 and at least as good as XP. Now, after installing 8 on one computer (mercifully running under Ex7forw8), after suffering through MS's insufferable ad campaign, and enduring all the Microshill and rentboy hype, I wouldn't even buy a Windows phone.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,953   +900

Let us hope 8.1 brings back the option to enable the classic start menu, a hope that is far fetched.
  6. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,806   +542

And the installation tune in Windows Blue will be...

Oh wait, wasn't it the opening theme in Iron Man 3? Perhaps Microsoft paid for that one...
    JC713 likes this.
  7. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

According to my brother-in-law who works for Microsoft, 8.1 will bring back the Start Button. However, not the Start Menu.

As for Metro, it is not going anywhere. In fact, the plan is to converge both sides, so that transitions between desktop and Metro are as seamless and painless as possible.
  8. VitalyT

So, in Windows 8 MS removes the Start button along with the menu.
    In Windows 8.1 we get the Start button back, but no start menu. It's a sad/blue story indeed.
    In Windows 8.2 we get Start menu added to the Start button.

The progress is staggering.
    wiyosaya and JC713 like this.
  9. lawfer

The Start Menu is not coming back. Ever.

The Start Button was brought back for a simple reason: conduit.

You see, the "Start Button" was actually placed in the charms bar, only visible when you swipe form the right. This is more easily identifiable to users with touchscreens than those with M+K. To help with this, the Start button is being brought back for it to serve as a both literal and metaphorical conduit to the Start Screen, which is, the "new" Start Menu.

So don't think of the button being brought back as the Start Menu progressively making a come back; it is being added back for the sake of familiarity.

The change was actually not made by the Windows team. Instead, it seems it was forced onto them by their higher-ups. This is particularly sad, as it shows you how detached teams are in Microsoft.

Lastly, I was told the the button and boot-to-desktop is all being brought back due to businesses and the enterprise's reluctance to upgrade (arguably where Microsoft makes the most money other than OEM licences). Not the consumers.
    m4a4 likes this.
  10. Puiu

Puiu TS Addict Posts: 1,053   +95

Is it still fullscreen? if so then I will still avoid metro like the plague. you can't call this windows if it does not provide "windows" for apps, search, etc.
  11. lawfer

Yes, still fullscreen. Though, in 8.1, more apps can be resized to your liking. Meaning you could have three or four apps snapped, versus only a big and a small one in 8.

Don't think of Metro as a desktop replacement that's not there yet. It's not a replacement, and will never be there. It's there to complement.

Personally, I turned it off.

12. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Nice try Microsoft but I'm sticking with what works Win 7 64bit and its fast enough with my vertex 4 512Gb SSD so don't try that "Its faster than 7" nonsense either.
  13. JC713

I havent tried Windows 8, but I am willing to try it when this new update comes out. MS is moving on, I cant complain. But I do love the start menu, but I think the new start screen is more "hip".
  14. Dustyn

Dustyn TS Rookie Posts: 31

Nahhh! Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Edition SP1 is perfect just the way it is... try again please! ;)
    VitalyT and Denxnis like this.
  15. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 276   +29

Click the start button - shows the Metro style :p
  16. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 510   +81

Until the start button comes back I'm sticking with Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    JC713, Tha General and Denxnis like this.
  17. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 614   +81

One company is selling W7 at a higher cost than W8. W7 is also their most popular OS. Says it all!
  18. VitalyT

19. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,225

yea and until there is a big difference in gaming performance, which its not.
  20. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Adoption rate is going to skyrocket if they put the Start Button back. Just needs a "Desktop Mode" and a "Tablet Mode". That's so simple.
  21. JC713

There cant be until a new DX revision comes out.
  22. Tha General

oh, well im sticking with win7 for now. no rush anyway. IMO not even sure why they even made win8, should of just updated win7 with a new great service pack.
  23. JC713

Yeah, I wish they deployed at least 1 more service pack. They should give the user the option to have the start menu. I dont get how that is so hard.
  24. I actually don't mind Windows 8. I like the quicker bootup times, improved task manager, and the new window for copying files. With an SSD boot time is ridiculously fast. Though, I admit I've never used a single Metro app and always stay in desktop mode...and of course I got a third party start menu application.
  25. Tha General

They never listen to the community, just like google/youtube never listen to us about stop changing their designs, or MySpace , etc. big major companies never listen or care about the community.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.