TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft demonstrates new intelligent search technology

By Phantasm66 ยท 5 replies
Jul 30, 2004
  1. In many ways, our organisation of personal information on our computers is still very limited and one dimensional. How many times have you searched for a key piece of information, not fully remembering whether it was held in an e-mail, a file, a web page or whatever? Probably a few.

New technology from Microsoft is designed to quickly search a hardrive for a search term, and is able to search not just files but e-mails and even e-mail attachments.

"The PC search technology... allowed a computer user to search within Microsoft's Outlook e-mail client as well as within Windows folders such as My Documents."

Getting this new capability will not involve a Windows upgrade (like a new version or a service pack) but will involve a software install.

Longhorn, the next generation Microsoft Windows operating system (due out much later), is likely to have something similar but far cooler.

2. abc

abc TS Rookie Posts: 39

Amazing! Now I can search my Microsoft Outlook email, my Microsoft OS, my Mircosoft Word, Excel, and Power Point presentations, AND Microsofts web search at the same time!

no thanks
    If I wan't to rember something, I use new text document.txt on my desktop. Now if I could only rember to look at it.

3. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 536

Will it also send the results of your search and the unique IDs of all the microsoft storage systems / software you dowloaded off p2p directly to Redmond ?

4. "new technology from microsoft" new...hahah, yeah right. Apple will have this in the next version of OSX, due early next year.

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

This isn't new technology. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

I wouldn't brag about it. I'm appalled its just now available. :)

6. Tarkus

Tarkus TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 621

I've got $20 that says somebody figures out how to exploit this to search your computer remotely within 2 years. Not that I don't trust MS...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.