Microsoft demonstrates new intelligent search technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

In many ways, our organisation of personal information on our computers is still very limited and one dimensional. How many times have you searched for a key piece of information, not fully remembering whether it was held in an e-mail, a file, a web page or whatever? Probably a few.

New technology from Microsoft is designed to quickly search a hardrive for a search term, and is able to search not just files but e-mails and even e-mail attachments.

"The PC search technology... allowed a computer user to search within Microsoft's Outlook e-mail client as well as within Windows folders such as My Documents."

Getting this new capability will not involve a Windows upgrade (like a new version or a service pack) but will involve a software install.

Longhorn, the next generation Microsoft Windows operating system (due out much later), is likely to have something similar but far cooler.

Amazing! Now I can search my Microsoft Outlook email, my Microsoft OS, my Mircosoft Word, Excel, and Power Point presentations, AND Microsofts web search at the same time!

no thanks
If I wan't to rember something, I use new text document.txt on my desktop. Now if I could only rember to look at it.

Will it also send the results of your search and the unique IDs of all the microsoft storage systems / software you dowloaded off p2p directly to Redmond ?

"new technology from microsoft" new...hahah, yeah right. Apple will have this in the next version of OSX, due early next year.

This isn't new technology. I'm not sure what the fuss is about.

Apple will have this in the next version of OSX, due early next year.
I wouldn't brag about it. I'm appalled its just now available. :)

I've got $20 that says somebody figures out how to exploit this to search your computer remotely within 2 years. Not that I don't trust MS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back