Microsoft demos real-time language translation for Skype

1. Remember the iconic Universal Translator from Star Trek? Microsoft announced yesterday that it is planning to roll out a similar language translation feature for Skype by the end of the year.

Read more
  2. Sometimes people who speak the same language misinterpret what was said.
    I foresee misunderstandings galore with this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,327   +1,930

Tell me about it. Reading posts by some guests you'd swear they're talking sh!t but upon closer inspection it's actually English. A translator could come in handy here.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,105   +1,375

The most common spoken language in the world - broken English, what else is there to say... try and translate it ;)
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

This is quite cool.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

This is cool buy why skype... if they could integrate this into their phones I would admit it would be an instant by and not just from me but by a massive margin in the phone market share! People would love to talk to their friends all over the world in their native language and this is one way to do it.

No more paying for translators just buy a microsoft phone which has live call translation on governments, citizens, companies etc. would love this product its such a big thing if it was real!
  7. HellcatM

HellcatM TS Rookie Posts: 35

I agree, put it in Windows period, weather its phone or RT or Windows 8. It would be cool if they could make it so you could just hold your phone out and have a conversation with someone thats in the same room as you. Go to another country and ask a question and get an answer even though you speak different languages. Putting it in Skype I think would be difficult to do this.
  8. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 929   +238

As I see it, skype will be a test bed for this, and perhaps there is a large amount of realtime data that this app has to look at while translating - which, to me, seems like skype would be a better location to more easily collect that data. As an app for Windows Phone or RT, it might need an internet connection.

IMHO, it will be interesting to see where this goes on the future.
  9. But when are they going to have a translate that I can use to translate what the people at my favorite Chinese restaurant are saying about me.