Microsoft drastically cuts OneDrive storage, free users now get 5 GB

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has decided to drastically cut the storage space offered through OneDrive after a small number of users were caught abusing the service, allegedly backing up more than 75 TB to one unlimited account "in some instances".

The storage space reductions have widespread consequences for all OneDrive users. Free users are hit the hardest, with their storage space being cut from 15 GB to 5 GB. This sends OneDrive's free offering below competitors such as Google Drive, who continue to offer 15 GB for free to all users.

The camera roll bonus of 15 GB is also being cut, with all changes to free storage coming into effect in early 2016. For anyone using more than 5 GB of free storage at that point, Microsoft will offer a free one-year Office 365 Personal subscription with 1 TB of storage, although a credit card is required.

Microsoft is also removing the 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans for new users, replacing them with a single 50 GB plan that will cost $1.99 per month. These changes will come into effect in early 2016, although current paid customers will not be affected.

By cutting 100 GB and 200 GB plans, Google Drive once again comes out ahead in storage value, as they offer 100 GB for $1.99 per month, as well as 1 TB ($9.99 per month) and 10 TB ($99.99 per month) plans.

For everyone on an Office 365 account, unlimited storage is being replaced with 1 TB of storage, starting immediately. If you're currently storing more than 1 TB in your OneDrive account, Microsoft will notify you, and you'll be able to keep your files stored for "at least" 12 months.

Microsoft claims these changes "are needed to ensure that we can continue to deliver a collaborative, connected, and intelligent service", but it's hard not to feel like every OneDrive user is being punished for some users abusing the unlimited storage option.

Permalink to story.

Who "steals" so much cloud storage and what are they using it for? That is the story I'm waiting to hear.

Wait, what??? Why am I being punished for what "a few" people did?? and us 365 users go from unlimited storage to just 1tb??? I'm onlyl using 50gb to backup all my pictures & home movies, but still, I shouldnt have my storage capped because of a few bad apples. wouldnt it be better to punish them instead?

Wait, what??? Why am I being punished for what "a few" people did?? and us 365 users go from unlimited storage to just 1tb??? I'm onlyl using 50gb to backup all my pictures & home movies, but still, I shouldnt have my storage capped because of a few bad apples. wouldnt it be better to punish them instead?

No, because that wouldn't provide an excuse to pull a bait-and-switch like this. Trust me, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

I couldn't care less if they cut it down to 0 bytes. Apart from my Outlook email account which only takes up a few KB I don't use it, I'd rather store my own personal data myself which is what I do anyway, and it's safer.

Sarcastic remarks aside though, 5GB should be plenty for the average person. With free online storage that is. Anyone wanting more than 5GB should be willing to pay for it. Especially if they are not willing or responsible enough to carry around a device as small as a USB stick*.

* My 64GB Mushkin Enhanced Atom is only the size of 3 stacked nickles. That's 4 times OneDrive current capacity (12x after cut) and much faster than most ISP rates.

Sarcastic remarks aside though, 5GB should be plenty for the average person. With free online storage that is. Anyone wanting more than 5GB should be willing to pay for it. Especially if they are not willing or responsible enough to carry around a device as small as a USB stick*.

* My 64GB Mushkin Enhanced Atom is only the size of 3 stacked nickles. That's 4 times OneDrive current capacity (12x after cut) and much faster than most ISP rates.

5 GB isn't the problem, is that they reduced 15 GB to 5 GB, and you can easily get 15 GB from Google

Oh, and a USB drive isn't nearly as convenient for backups as cloud storage, plus the cloud is off-site.

This sounds like horse ****. Sounds exactly like the Mobile Phone companies. They have to throttle data because some people abuse the system. Okay so punish those people not everyone. All about the $.

A company like microsoft is struggling to host data? Damn they fair screwed that up didn't they! If they can't handle unlimited they shouldn't have posted unlimited its a sad excuse for a company.

I can completely understand clamping down on the free accounts, but for paid subscriptions/O365 users? That and reducing free accounts to well below what Google Drive provides? I don't quite get those two...

Wasn't the unlimited storage for O365 a really recent change? I made a spreadsheet months ago with all the O365 plans and labeled the OneDrive for Business feature as just 1TB of storage per user.

Back