Microsoft Excel 97 Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

arun0580

I am running a VBA macro application in Microsoft Excel 97 under Windows XP -Service Pack 1 to,
1.Open an Excel work book .
2.Update a value in a cell
3.Save and close the file.
I need to repeat the steps 1,2,3 for 1,00,000 times. But after executing the process around 32,000 times the Excel application crashes.The whole OS hangs. And a message box appears As
" Run time error -2147467259 (80004005) ", method 'open' of object workbook's failed.

I am facing this problem since last two weeks, If any body have the solution please comment it .

Thanks
Arunraj.N

One of the limites of Excel 97. Be sure you have all the updates from www.microsoft.com. There are some there, although Microsoft has not supported Office 97 for years. You might want to try and upgrade to 2000 or use OpenOffice 2003

Excel 97 macro crash in XP service pack 1

Thanks raybay,
I checked the same Excel 97 macro in Windows NT, XP service pack 2 the application executes there with out any problem, The crash occurs only in
Windows XP service pack 1. I would like to know the reason for this crash. Thank you very much for your Quotes.

Regards
ArunRaj

You have your answer. There were a lot of problems with older products on Windows XP, and Windows XP Service Pack 1. The other problem is memory.
I would upgrade to Service Pack 2, since that is simple and necessary for so many things.
Then be sure you have at least 512 MB of memory... or more.

Macro code executed in Excel 97, XP Service Pack 1.

Dear raybay,

This is my macro code ,which I had executed in Excel 97, XP Service Pack 1. Pleas quote your valuable comments on this, ie any problem in this code

Thanks
ArunRaj

Sub startExcel()

Dim i As Long
For i = 1 To 100000

Dim wkb As New Excel.Application

wkb.Workbooks.Open "Excel.xls"

wkb.Workbooks("Excel.xls").Worksheets(1).Cells(1, 1).Value = i
wkb.Workbooks("Excel.xls").Save
Workbooks("Excel.xls").Close

wkb.Quit
Set wkb = Nothing

Next

End Sub

We need to look also at the amount of memory available (the usual cause) in this computer versus the NT and XP SP2 computers. I suspect that may be the problem... either memory, or memory management.
What reason to you have for opting out of Service Pack 2?

Excel 97 Macro Crash in Windows XP

Dear raybay,

We need to identify the reason for this crash, bcos our customer need to develop the application in Excel 97 and windows XP (Service Pack 1).

Our first test machine's memory is 512 MB, and second one's memory is 256 MB.
we got the crash in both machines .

Regards
Arun

Appears to me that your memory stack is overloaded.
But why use Excel 97 which came out in 1995, and hasn't been suported in years? You are dealing with an antique, along with inadequate memory, and probably a motherboard to boot. What is your front side bus?
We are very experienced in Office 97, and would never consider what you are trying to do with inadequate resources.
What do you get when you run MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes?

Excel 97 Crash (Front side bus details)

Dear ray bay,
My Front side bus details are,

Bus Type :IntelNetBurst
Bus width :64 bit
Real clock :101 MHz
Effective clock : 404 MHz
Band width : 3230 MB/s

Regards,
Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.