Microsoft has made a version of Windows 10 for China with "more management and security controls"

midian182

Staff member

For most US tech organizations, getting a product launched in China is no easy feat. Adhering to the country’s strict censorship laws often means the onus is on a company to filter out any ‘sensitive’ content from its services.

Certain US firms, such as Apple, reportedly kowtow to the Chinese government by censoring their services in the country. Google, on the other hand, pulled out of China completely in 2010 after the company said it was no longer comfortable filtering its search results.

Now, Microsoft has created a version of Windows 10 for use in Chinese governmental offices and state-owned enterprises, one which includes “more management and security controls.”

Called Windows 10 Zhuangongban, or Windows 10 Specially-provided Edition, this specialized version of the operating system was created by Microsoft in collaboration with Chinese state-run technology and defense company CETC. In addition to the extra "security" features, many of the services and apps found in the consumer version of Windows 10 have been removed, likely replaced by the Chinese-approved versions.

Microsoft announced its intentions to create a region-specific Windows 10 back in December. The company's China CEO, Ralph Haupter, told Chinese magazine Caixin that the first version of the software was complete. He didn’t precisely say how this edition differed from the traditional Windows 10, but given China’s fondness for surveillance, these “security controls” will probably mean more ways for the country’s government to keep a close watch on users.

Microsoft lost a lot of money when Windows 8 was banned from Chinese government PCs back in 2014. Creating a version of the OS specifically for the region – one that has the backing of the country’s rulers and runs Windows programs – will no doubt prove lucrative for the company.

Permalink to story.

How interesting they will sell out for more $ but won't do the same for the folks back home.

Windows 10 in china? Why doesn't microsoft get windows 10 to work at all, like on all the old windows phones it doesn't work on?

Now how can I get my hands on this edition?? Because you know it doesn't include all the "features" made available to the 3-letter agencies.

This is just the regular Windows 10, except for sending all the info to Microsoft it goes to the Chinese government.

How interesting they will sell out for more $ but won't do the same for the folks back home.
I agree with this 100% Microsoft is selling out more and more, but on the other hand Apple is fighting the FBI and google is threatening to shut down the US Government's internet. And to think I was such a strong Microsoft supporter...

Back