Microsoft Intellitype Drivers and Windows XP Service Pack 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Knight10

Hi Everyone ... :)

I have a older microsoft natural keyboard pro (with the short cut keys) ... this has been discontinued now but I was using the intellitype 2.1 drivers quite happily.

I purchased office 2003 pro over the weekend and decided to upgrade to XP Service Pack 1 and install Office 2003 last night. After the install had completed and I rebooted, I got back to the desktop and realised my keyboard had no power.

I checked the control panel > keyboard settings and the keyboard was not shown.

I navigated to the microsoft download center and got the latest intellitype drivers (version 5.0) ... uninstalled the 2.1's, rebooted, installed the 5.0's, rebooted but still no keyboard power.

I unplugged my natural keyboard - plugged in another keyboard and did some browsing ... I found this link (to techspot) ... https://www.techspot.com/drivers/index/file/information/2206

I tryed this USB fix but still no joy ...

Any ideas please ?

Thank you.

Darknight;
If you are looking for the intellitype pro application I am sure i have one .I use two of those keyboards.One on win2k other win xp.I will try and dig them out if you like.I throw nothing away.
i don't think it should matter but my keyboards are serial.
Later

hi, Im a bit beat up from a very big halloween celebration last night :blackeye: lol

Thanks for you reply - I do have both the 2.1 and 5.0 intellitype application(s) ... but neither work with XP SP1 ...

So it seems I must continue my search ... :rolleyes:

hi :)

Unfoturnately, no ... I wish it was something so simple ... all I did was install windows XP SP1 ...

Bad Bill, NOOOOO :blackeye:

:p

Hi
I'm curious .Does your Keyboard have the split wire with a USB and a serial connector .If so does the serial connector work?
And did you try another USB device ?

hi again ... I have other USB devices plugged in (an external 100mb zip drive and a PDA) ... the keyboard is just USB ... not split ...

Thanks for all the ideas though ... :)

K Bill, I warned you b4 ... BAD Bill, NO :blackeye:

Hi again everyone, has taken me a while (been busy doing other stuff), but I managed (with the help of a friend), to work out what had happened & how to fix this particular problem.

Sometimes Windows doesn't update the drivers correctly (when completing an update) ... so the problem I was getting was that my USB controllers / devices etc in the Device Manager were "out of date".

By un-installing all devices and re-installing them, it refreshs the registry and drivers in the system directory.

Here's how I did it (for those of you who are interested):

I un-installed all my USB devices (USB root, USB enhanced host controller & USB universal host companion controller) from control panel > system > hardware > device manager.

Right click on each entry and select "uninstall". Also look in any applicable section such as "keyboards" or anything that applies to USB devices and also choose "uninstall".

Make sure that all USB devices are "uninstalled".
(*note: if it asks to reboot, say no).

Then go to the options and select Action > Scan for Hardware Changes. Once all the USB devices have been re-detected, reboot.

(*note2: if you have a USB device, it will be temporarily disabled, and if your keyboard is USB, you will have to reboot using the reset button.. all the devices will be redetected).

My USB keyboard now works, my scanner is once more dancing the white light fantastic and the wife's PDA is once again straining from her ever busy schedule !!!.

:rolleyes: :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back