Microsoft is adjusting its Windows 10 upgrade prompt in wake of multiple complaints

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft set an ambitious goal to achieve one billion Windows 10 installations within three years of its July 2015 launch. As of last month, the Redmond-based company was well on its way to hitting that goal with more than 300 million devices now running its latest operating system although getting to that point hasn’t been without controversy.

At issue is Microsoft’s pushy, under-handed and outright deceptive tactics to try and get users to upgrade their machines to Windows 10. Anyone that has yet to do so is well aware of how annoying the constant pop-up reminders from Microsoft can be.

It was recently discovered that Microsoft had modified its pop-up window in such a manner that clicking the X button to close the pop-up equated to giving Microsoft consent to go ahead with the Windows 10 update. There’s absolutely no excuse for this level of dirty trickery, period.

And lest we forget the fact that this past February, Microsoft made Windows 10 a recommended update rather than an optional update which meant those with automatic updates enabled would get Windows 10 without consent.

After recently losing a court case over the matter, Microsoft has apparently decided to once again modify its update approach.

In a statement to The Verge, Microsoft’s Terry Myerson said that since they introduced a new upgrade experience for Windows 10, they have received feedback that some customers found it confusing. He added that they’ve been working hard to incorporate the feedback (complaints) and this week, they’ll be rollout out a new upgrade experience with clear options to upgrade now, schedule a time or decline the offer.

For once, it’d be nice to see a company rep come out and admit that they screwed up and / or were deceitful. Instead, the blame is passed to the consumer and described as being “confusing.” In what world is clicking the X to close the window ever considered consent?

Permalink to story.

LOL, they didn't even fix the original issue - if you click the "X" its STILL UPDATES..and Microsoft STILL doesn't inform you of this fact. All aboard the class action express! Little wonder Microsoft is playing nice with the Linux developer crowd - thanks largely to Mono, more programs than ever are being simultaneously released on Linux and Windows. Unless you're a die-hard Apple user, operating system choice is quickly becoming a matter of taste rather than ecosystem lock-in. I just read that nearly a third of all new Windows games on Steam also have Linux versions. If true, that's a HUGE advance just in the last three years. And here's poor old Microsoft blowing it completely by trying to force its customers to adopt OS that is inferior to its predecessor in every conceivable way. If Google builds a new PC OS that can run Android, Chrome and Linux apps (as is the rumor in some quarters) it could quickly become a problem for Microsoft, but ONLY if its a well-supported platform. If its a re-engineered Android rather than just another Google Laps experiment that shouldn't be much of an issue. But things could get worse for Microsoft - *much* worse - should Google decide to build into this hypothetical desktop environment support for legacy Windows software. Its an awfully big coincidence, methinks, that lately we're also hearing rumblings of Google wanting to take more direct control over Android.

Tes win 10 don't need to charge you it can see and spy on your every move ,and sell the info to all other companies ,A law should be passed to make this illegal !!!!
That would put the company that writes the OS for the majority of smart phones,
and that the majority of people use for Internet searches nearly out of business.
In the World of Malware, clicking the "X" on a malware popup using means consent to install.
Hmmmm. Entirely appropriate in this case.

"For once, it’d be nice to see a company rep come out and admit that they screwed up and / or were deceitful. Instead, the blame is passed to the consumer and described as being “confusing.” In what world is clicking the X to close the window ever considered consent?"
Yes Microsoft is now known as the peddler of malware and victim blames. They have lost a LOT of trust here.

What they should do is put out update to remove the Windows 10 upgrade APP from all computers that have not been updated. I am tried of blocking it and removing it from all the computer I support. I was just working on customers computer that he upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 pro because he through he need it for a work program. He had not called me when upgraded but was having log in issues. I checked the computer he multiple errors on boot up all coming because he upgraded. I ran his tag number with Dell his 2012 desktop was no supported by Dell for Windows 10. That's why the driver errors. I have been supporting and using Windows scenes Windows 3.0 and when you install one operating system over another problems happen.
I think Microsoft has lost it!!!

It's kinda of impressive how MS have managed to turn a free OS upgrade, which should have been easily positive spin, into negative spin. Then they blame the customer for being ignorant.

I fully suspect there is some soulless mid-level manager whose bonus terms are dictated by W10 uptake and has decided that by hook or by crook *everyone* is going to get aboard the W10 train.

It's kinda of impressive how MS have managed to turn a free OS upgrade, which should have been easily positive spin, into negative spin. Then they blame the customer for being ignorant.

I fully suspect there is some soulless mid-level manager whose bonus terms are dictated by W10 uptake and has decided that by hook or by crook *everyone* is going to get aboard the W10 train.

Indeed... I am so pissed off by this I put Windows 7 back on my gaming computer. I've also stopped using Windows for any tasks other than gaming. In fact I'm quite comfortable with my Open SuSe install with Plasma 5. Now if only ALL game developers would start making their Windows games also available for Linux then we can get a lot further away from M$.

So they want to implement changes to clear things up, a month from when the free upgrade period expires.... Bravo!

M$ must have felt out-done by Steve Jobs famous, "You're holding the phone wrong" antenna debacle. :)

So they want to implement changes to clear things up, a month from when the free upgrade period expires.... Bravo!
A teacher is always nice on the first and last day of school.
In short they are playing along now as things are winding down, they weren't going to change their approach no matter what, they forced Windows 10 success.
Why? Because another Windows 8 or Vista could have been disastrous.

Weird to see thee Microsoft so guarded and fragile.

This despicable corporation actually acknowledges by their own standards that the GWX pop up is malware. Why more people haven't sued the crap out of Microsoft over this misleading and crooked business practice is beyond me. I would also like to know why our worthless piece of crap government hasn't stepped in (like say, oh...I don't know...maybe the FTC?????) and put the smack down on Microsoft. Oh wait...because Microsoft has them in their back pockets. Corporate fascism at its finest. Mussolini or Chavez would be proud.

" In what world is clicking the X to close the window ever considered consent? "

I believe you buried the headline?

(answer: in the Brave New Malsoft world -- and Terry M.? regarding "customers found it confusing".. kindly blow it out your A$$)

Last edited:
"Microsoft’s pushy, under-handed and outright deceptive tactics"

Micro$lop's eminence has not come from its superior products, but from its superior skills in marketing albeit slightly inferior products. They have developed little and have acquired much...

Too late. All grandparents already "upgraded" hence M$ can claim the multi million install base...

Dear Microsoft,

Extended Support End Date: 1/14/2020
Service Pack Support End Date: 4/9/2013

You can keep W10 until you create something the customer wants and is better than W7. The clock is ticking down to Linux, Android, or upstarts to replace you on my computers on 1/15/2020.

I was forced to upgrade my Surface Pro to W10 and it is still buggy, W7 is on all my other computers.

Sincerely,
Your Loyal W7 Customer
(until 1/15/2020)

Back