Microsoft is giving Xbox One customers with faulty disc drives a free digital game

Shawn Knight

Staff member

xbox microsoft gaming console xbox one

Gamers affected by a faulty Xbox One disc drive won’t be left out in the cold while waiting for their replacement. That’s because Microsoft is offering said gamers a free title via digital download for their troubles according to e-mails from Xbox support representatives as first reported by Polygon.

One e-mail the publication received indicated the customer in question would be able to choose between one of four launch titles: Dead Rising 3, Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse: Son of Rome or Zoo Tycoon. Because they are downloadable titles, those with faulty disc drives will still be able to play them until their replacement console arrives.

Microsoft corroborated the reports in a statement, saying they wanted to ensure their advance exchange customers can stay in the game with the free digital download of one of their launch titles.

Reports of issues with the Xbox One starting hitting the web soon after the console was released last Friday. A small number of users (by Microsoft’s claim) are experiencing an issue where the Xbox One’s disc drive makes a loud grinding noise when inserting a disc. In some instances, the machine is unable to read the disc which effectively renders it useless for playing physical titles.

Microsoft released a statement saying they were working directly with gamers affected by the problem to get a replacement console shipped out as soon as possible using the aforementioned advance exchange program.

Permalink to story.

With Microsoft's foothold weakening in so many other areas, you can tell they are taking this console release quite seriously as this is one of their better cash cows now. Remember what they did initially last time when people reported issues? They denied it, even though over 50% of original Xbox's RROD'd.
If only they listened and treated their customers like this on all fronts. Still, there are too many strings attached & added fee's to use all of the features this console has to offer, IMO this gives the PS4 a major advantage. I've killed my Gold Account for my 360 so when my time runs up, I will be using it much less. I shouldn't have to pay to use Netflix or buy/download games/apps. I'm no Microsoft hater but they get me so pissed off sometimes.

Intel chips shouldn't arrive in the post doa. Memory sticks shouldn't ever be faulty. DVD drives should never have faults. Power supplies should never arrive blown. Mice should never have a dodgy mouse wheel. There are many electrical items for sale out there and none do them have a 100% record. Someone always gets unlucky.

At least they are offering a free game as compensation and shopping a new console before receiving the faulty ones.

Microsoft should be applauded for their quick response and customer first focus to this issue. At least the drive issue, does not (digital download provided) prevent you from having a happy Thanksgiving as a gamer.
What's Sony's response to your bricked system? Ship it back then wait for a new batch before they get around to shipping the unit back? You can of course get your money back and dismiss the long line you waiting in to get a PS4. LOL!

Kudos to Microsoft.

Hilarious how Forza 5 and Zoo Tycoon are on the same list as free titles, the ladder should be free with the console to begin with. And anyone who has any brains would choose Forza or perhaps, possibly, Dead Rising. Found an article thats neither for or against either console, but kinda explains how this is could either be a bad beginning, or just the old, "Well not everything is 100% reliable all the time." Which, in all honesty, is the way the industry works. Work at an electronics store and you'll see, things arrive defective, brand new in the box, unopened, it's the way of life when you have thousands of little parts and assembly by under paid disgruntled workers. Mistakes happen. The real test is the first 3-6 months, then we can get the real magnitude of the situation.

There's a big difference between a faulty drive and a bricked system.
If the system is bricked you couldn't just download a game to fix it.
All Microsoft is doing is giving them something to do till their console can be replaced with a working unity which is easy if only a drive is faulty not so if bricked.

If Sony offered them a game till their bricked consoles can be replaced,would that make you happy?

Hilarious how Forza 5 and Zoo Tycoon are on the same list as free titles, the ladder should be free with the console to begin with. And anyone who has any brains would choose Forza or perhaps, possibly, Dead Rising. Found an article thats neither for or against either console, but kinda explains how this is could either be a bad beginning, or just the old, "Well not everything is 100% reliable all the time." Which, in all honesty, is the way the industry works. Work at an electronics store and you'll see, things arrive defective, brand new in the box, unopened, it's the way of life when you have thousands of little parts and assembly by under paid disgruntled workers. Mistakes happen. The real test is the first 3-6 months, then we can get the real magnitude of the situation.

I would have picked Forza 5 over Zoo Tycoon, too, but the whole point of offering options is just that -- options, in case you already bought Forza 5, for example.

"They denied it, even though over 50% of original Xbox's RROD'd."

No. Plenty RROD'd. It was not over half of their entire original xboxs lmao

Why they call them "digital"? Are there any analogue games?! All media is digital, be that CD, DVD, Blu-Ray or download. Another example of modern illiteracy, no less.

It's tough on these frustrated customers but the lesson here should be next time you have the urge to buy something as soon as it launches, rather wait a couple of weeks until the dust settles and you'll less likely suffer the frustration. At least MS is trying to make amends.

"They denied it, even though over 50% of original Xbox's RROD'd."

No. Plenty RROD'd. It was not over half of their entire original xboxs lmao

I have a dead Xbox 360, and so do most of my friends, in fact I don't know anyone with an original launch gen Xbox that hasn't had it die. Now I also have a dead PS3, and know at least 3 other people who have had theirs die. So really, both console are unreliable lead free solder crap, at least until the revisions that put out less heat.

Why they call them "digital"? Are there any analogue games?! All media is digital, be that CD, DVD, Blu-Ray or download. Another example of modern illiteracy, no less.
It is a term that has been continually used since its origin, and no longer holds meaning. Originating from the conversion of audio CD's that were analog and then converted for digital sharing and storing. The term "downloads" never really lost the adjective "digital". I agree with you though since it is used in the description of downloading games, which have always been digital.

Back