Microsoft is launching a Minecraft marketplace for third-party content, new virtual currency

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft is taking additional steps to monetize Minecraft with the (pending) launch of a new marketplace for Pocket and Windows 10 players.

The marketplace, set to arrive this spring as part of the Discovery Update, will allow gamers to browse, download and play community-created products from within Minecraft itself.

Microsoft has partnered with well-known crafters Razzleberry Fox, Noxcrew, Polymaps, BlockWorks, Qwertyuiop The Pie, Sphax, Blockception, Eneija Silverleaf and Imagiverse to build a launch catalog consisting of things like texture packs, mini-games, maps and more although anyone with a registered business can apply to join the Minecraft Partner Program and peddle their own digital goods.

The marketplace will be powered by a new virtual currency called Minecraft Coins which users can buy via in-app purchases. Microsoft says creators will get “the majority” of a 70 percent cut of sales (after the platform takes its 30 percent haul).

It’s worth noting that gamers will still be able to download and use free content found on the Internet.

The beloved sandbox building game, which Microsoft purchased as part of its acquisition of developer Mojang in 2014 for $2.5 billion, has sold more than 121 million copies worldwide and currently has 55 million unique monthly players.

Those with questions or comments are encouraged to join the Reddit AMA on April 20 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. PDT.

Permalink to story.

About time they made the rest of us hate minecraft... now lets pay for something we've been getting free for years!

About time they made the rest of us hate minecraft... now lets pay for something we've been getting free for years!
You can still do so, it's stated in the article, free content that's available won't be charged. If that is a reason for you to hate it, you are free to do so, on my end I think it's a pretty illogical "I hate Microsoft" hate-wagon male-cow-feces.

I shall not shell out. Everybody who shells out for a skin pack is an *****. I grew up with Winamp, skins are supposed to be free.

Back