Microsoft is reportedly building a brand-new web browser for Windows 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sources microsoft spartan windows internet explorer browser ie web browser internet explorer 11 windows 10

As Microsoft continues to put the finishing touches on Windows 10, many have speculated as to the direction the Redmond-based company will take with regard to Internet Explorer.

Word around the water cooler up to this point is that Microsoft is developing a new version of Internet Explorer, codenamed Spartan, that’ll eventually debut as Internet Explorer 12. That intelligence no longer appears to be accurate according to ZDNet’s Mary Jo Foley.

Based on information from a couple of sources, Foley now believes that Spartan isn’t simply the codename for Internet Explorer 12 but an entirely new and lightweight browser for Microsoft.

Sources tell Foley that Spartan will still use Microsoft’s Chakra JavaScript engine as well as its Trident rendering engine instead of WebKit. And as Neowin pointed out a few months ago, the UI will resemble what Google and Mozilla currently offer with Chrome and Firefox, respectively.

What's more, Microsoft Student Partner and VLC lead developer, Thomas Nigro, mentioned on Twitter earlier this month that he heard Microsoft was building a new web browser.

With Spartan on the horizon, it may seem as though Microsoft is preparing to retire Internet Explorer but that doesn’t appear to be in the cards. Instead, Windows 10 will reportedly ship with both Spartan and Internet Explorer 11.

Spartan could be one of the new features that Microsoft is planning to show off at its Windows 10 preview event scheduled for just after CES on January 21.

No word yet on whether or not Microsoft has finalized a name for the new browser (Spartan is just the codename and won’t be the name attached when it ships).

Permalink to story.

"instead of WebKit"
And just who thought that they would switch to it? Why did that option come up at all?

They need to make it lite, block all ads, malware, load pages super duper quick. But if they don't do all of that I won't be using it.

After horrible Vista II. must rerevolutionary renew everything includes the good parts too.

I kind of hope that it and IE12 (if it will even exist in the first place) get released for Windows 7. It's highly unlikely, but I really hope they do.

I think current IE is not bad at all. I don't use it because I have everything on Chrome but it seems lighter than Chrome which is not that hard actually. Anyhow, I hope this new IE gets that dirt off it's shoulders.

Last time they said something along these lines, windows 8 was released.

Knowing Microsoft, it will be a tablet friendly browser with no option for a "Classic" mode that works well with a mouse.

And as with Internet Explorer, it will serve the same function...
To download Google Chrome with.

It's probably just going to be a carbon copy of Firefox, with a Windows-esque UI and going to be generally as lightweight as Chrome or Firefox. I just hope it's still as customisable as IE.

I've been using Firefox and Chrome for so long now, that I don't even know what Internet Explorer is meant to be used for....

Last time they said something along these lines, windows 8 was released.

Knowing Microsoft, it will be a tablet friendly browser with no option for a "Classic" mode that works well with a mouse.

Yeah because right now metro apps "don't work well" with a mouse, little too biased don't you think? Since in my experience they work perfectly and the same with both a mouse and touchscreens. Also for those who like or don't like, it's just an alt-tab away or simply not to be used, that freakingly simple.

Considering how badly the 'dual mode' OS that is Windows 8 backfired, its a little surprising to hear them say they want to launch with two browsers...
I understand having IE11 to fall back on but that browser is awful; just give me Spartan and if I don't like it I am downloading Chrome.
Having a built in browser is ok with me as it helps from a troubleshooting standpoint, but two?

...Knowing Microsoft, it will be a tablet friendly browser with no option for a "Classic" mode that works well with a mouse.

This is my guess, mostly likely killing of the 'Modern IE" in favor of a touch-friendly browser that looks and feels appropiate in the desktop.

Yeah because right now metro apps "don't work well" with a mouse, little too biased don't you think? Since in my experience they work perfectly and the same with both a mouse and touchscreens. Also for those who like or don't like, it's just an alt-tab away or simply not to be used, that freakingly simple.

It's really funny when someone calls you a bit too biased and then goes on to admit their own.

I'm going to give you three facts that prove metro isn't as good for mice.

1. No close, minimize, and to tray in the upper right corner
2. Apps take up the entire screen
3. Buttons are larger. Why? So fingers can hit them.

IE is a favorite for spam-ware software install and when you uninstall those software like to open-up IE to their site. For you to give them a reason why you uninstall their software on you PC. I use Windows 7 firewall companion to stop IE run starting up. I don't use IE but let me say 1% where Chrome would act up on certain sites that requires IE, Chrome 64-bit, PaleMoon 64-bit (replaces firefox). Maxthon Browser is really good but again I don't run personal info through-it nor would I do with PaleMoon.

I don't see why MS hasn't put so much effort into IE. Metro IE simple enough. MS lost it's way with IE.

1. No close, minimize, and to tray in the upper right corner
2. Apps take up the entire screen
3. Buttons are larger. Why? So fingers can hit them.

1. Yes there is, you have to hover the mouse and it will show.
2. Again, nothing an alt+tab won't fix, or again, hover the border of the screen with your mouse to minimize, or swipe it over with your mouse, or use it as half, quarter or 3/4 of your screen, or, again, don't use it at all! Windows 8 is not JUST Metro.
3. So?? Does that mean that it doesn't "works well with a mouse"? I don't think so.

You could simply say you hate Metro and I will totally and completely understand that, but saying that WINDOWS 8 AS A WHOLE doesn't work on classic, nor that the mouse interface with metro doesn't work well, well my friend that is simply false.

IE is a favorite for spam-ware software install and when you uninstall those software like to open-up IE to their site. For you to give them a reason why you uninstall their software on you PC.

The same happens with firefox and chrome, havent tried out opera or other browsers so I couldn't say. You are just blamming the explorer for the users lack of a couple of good eyes. I don't even like IE, although have to use it on the office due to corporate measures and it's not THAAAAT bad but still, preffer Firefox for daily home usage.

Back