Microsoft is working on a Google Glass competitor, says WSJ

By Jos
Oct 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is reportedly testing prototypes for Internet-connected eyewear similar to Google Glass. The Wall Street Journal's unnamed sources "familiar with the matter" offered no further details about  the prototypes but noted the company’s ambition to compete with Google, Samsung, and...

Read more
  2. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TechSpot Booster Posts: 147   +19

I doubt Microsoft will bring such a device in competition with Google Glass after what android did to their mobile os ! lol
    wastedkill likes this.
  3. mosu

mosu TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 296

Au contraire, mon ami! Now Microsoft has it's own mobile division (former Nokia )so I would expect lot of gizmos attached to smartphones and Xbox and between.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,012   +683

This is about the only really cool feature of a Glass like product I've heard so far. Imagine being able to see stats superimposed over the players on the field. Or playing golf and having wind speed and distance show up for you. These obviously have limited markets, and would be really hard to pull off, but it's a light-year ahead of "OK Glass, start recording everyone in the restaurant."
    spectrenad and Chazz like this.
  5. Alvin7

Alvin7 Newcomer, in training

Suprisingly, Microsoft may actually have a shot at this. Keep in mind they came up with the Kinect Sensor and they have a small presence in robotics. It should be interesting to see how MS envisions glass. Hope they can avoid the viruses. I can imagine hackers sending all sorts of crazy images while you are walking down the street.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,806   +702

I'd be surprised if they weren't working on something similar. I think MS has realised by now that they can't afford to loose anymore ground to the competition if they want to remain relevant. Just look at the mauling WP has taken from Android & iOS, whether they can claw back some market share is anybodies guess.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.