Microsoft launches free preview of Office for Mac 2016

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has announced that the next major update to Office for Mac, and the first such update in five years, is now available to download and test for free as a Preview version.

The Office for Mac 2016 Preview comes with refreshed and revamped versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneNote and Outlook. The apps retain their Mac-like style, but come with refined and less cluttered ribbon-style interfaces that look newer and cleaner.

Office for Mac 2016 includes largely the same feature set as you get with the current Windows edition, including the full suite of collaborative editing tools and deep integration with OneDrive. There are some OS X specific features to be found as well, such as support for Retina displays, app sandboxing and a full screen mode.

Anyone interested in checking out the Preview can download it right now. It's only supported on OS X Yosemite (10.10), and can be installed alongside Office 2011 just in case you come across a nasty bug and you need to revert back.

Microsoft will officially release Office for Mac 2016 in the second half of 2015, and anyone with an active Office 365 subscription will be able to download it immediately. Office for Mac 2011 was available as a standalone edition as well, but it's not clear if Microsoft will offer the same package for Office 2016.

Permalink to story.

Installer seems buggy, I was unable to specify the install location. I had seen a few people on another site say it installed over their 2011 installation so I wanted to avoid that by forcing it to install in /Applications/Office 2015 (I thought it was Office 2015 not 2016?..) and when I clicked change install location instead of popping up a window for me to choose, it just dumped me back one step in the installer process.

Next PC version of office is 2016 so not surprised this is the same.

Shame if it's not out before September as I'm imaging student labs for the start of the academic year. Would like to put a new version of office on, 2011 is long in the tooth

If anyone is interested... it's buggy af

If you're wondering why I say that, try doing Vlookups in Excel :)

Also, does anyone know of the smoothest way to remove it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is interested... it's buggy af

If you're wondering why I say that, try doing Vlookups in Excel :)

Also, does anyone know of the smoothest way to remove it?
Just drag to the trash. That was Microsoft's official answer on how to remove, and it is the general method to remove in OS X. If you don't think that is sufficient, then go to ~/Library/Preferences and find any .plist files that look like they are from it.

Back