Microsoft launches Windows 10 Preview build 10158

Scorpus

Staff member

About a month away from Windows 10's official launch, Microsoft has launched a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build that aims to fix bugs and increase the level of polish throughout the OS. The new preview version, build 10158, is now available to Insiders on the Fast Ring.

Most of the additions to Windows 10 in this build are fairly minor. Windows 10 build 10158 has ditched Project Spartan branding for their next generation browser in favor of Microsoft Edge, and that brings with it a new app ID and a subsequent loss of existing user data. A number of minor improvements have been made to the browser as well, including the addition of a home button and the ability to import bookmarks from other browsers.

General user experience improvements in build 10158 include updates to Continuum's Tablet mode, new gestures in the Start menu, navigation tweaks, and changes to the way the taskbar notifies users of file transfers and apps seeking attention.

Cortana has received a range of updates in build 10158 as well, including integration into Office 365, flight and parcel tracking support, email sending support (for those with their language set to US English), and the ability to receive notifications about going to and from work.

Microsoft has also updated the Photos app for this build, bringing support for animated GIFs among other improvements. The Snipping Tool has also received minor changes that allow you to add five second delays to your capture.

For those Insiders out there currently in the Fast Ring, Windows 10 Preview build 10158 is now available to download through the usual update process.

Permalink to story.

Just tell me one simple and logic reason for us to move to Windows 10 and leave Windows 7 behind. Other than having the latest thing, which is a virus today, I don't see one. The interface is clearly a downgrade. The quality of the experience seems worse to me. Cortana is just a gimmick and you have google audio search for that. So, it's just an upgrade for the sake of upgrading. In the ol' days there was a feel of finished/quality product in Microsoft's creations. Now, they look like a patched sort'of attempt, which is kinda normal, considering they release new versions of Windows faster than users can adapt to changes. Good!

Because its the last version of Windows, it'll continue to evolve to latest design UI and features just like Google Chrome.

Just tell me one simple and logic reason for us to move to Windows 10 and leave Windows 7 behind. Other than having the latest thing, which is a virus today, I don't see one. The interface is clearly a downgrade. The quality of the experience seems worse to me. Cortana is just a gimmick and you have google audio search for that. So, it's just an upgrade for the sake of upgrading. In the ol' days there was a feel of finished/quality product in Microsoft's creations. Now, they look like a patched sort'of attempt, which is kinda normal, considering they release new versions of Windows faster than users can adapt to changes. Good!

Then don't update, clear as day.

There is nothing groundbreaking about Windows 10 to make you want to upgrade. The reason I will is because of a small boost in performance and that's about it. If the UI annoys me I will switch back to 7 or 8.

The UI isn't a downgrade. Right now the win 10 UI is fully functional and it includes all of the bells and whistles that you get in win 7 with some changes.
you get better memory management, better SSD performance, faster and more snappier UI elements, better battery management, better high DPI support, DX 12 support, Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.0, native drivers for 3G, VR and other devices, better touchscreen support, faster boot times, less services eating up memory and CPU resources, updated "Windows Update", apps support, Cortana, notifications, multi desktops, new command prompt window, better file transfer window, better task manager and many more under the hood improvements.

windows 7 works great, but it doesn't mean that it's better than win 10.

Microsoft spies on you and windows has backdoors, don't use it, you don't need it.

The UI isn't a downgrade. Right now the win 10 UI is fully functional and it includes all of the bells and whistles that you get in win 7 with some changes.
you get better memory management, better SSD performance, faster and more snappier UI elements, better battery management, better high DPI support, DX 12 support, Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 2.0, native drivers for 3G, VR and other devices, better touchscreen support, faster boot times, less services eating up memory and CPU resources, updated "Windows Update", apps support, Cortana, notifications, multi desktops, new command prompt window, better file transfer window, better task manager and many more under the hood improvements.

I think his statement about the UI being a downgrade went completely over your head. Beginning with Windows 8, the UI was targeted more at mobile devices more than anything. Concessions have, slowly, been made over the past 3 years but the UI still "reeks" of mobile devices everywhere you look. That's the dumbing down, or "downgrade" aspect of the Windows 10 UI.

Your last sentence is way too generalized. "The Windows 7 UI *IS* better than the Windows 10 UI on desktops".

I love the upgrade/install screen for Windows 10. It's a big beautiful circle that goes around itself while completing upgrades/new installs. Maybe it's because its one of the few places in the operating system you get to see something that isn't a square.

I say if they would just kill off the square corners it would be a decent OS once again. I've been using Windows 10 now for over a month. And I just can't get over the squareness of it all. Maybe I am being too anxious. Maybe if I give it another 10 years, I'll ...get used to it....*sigh*.

Although, I have a system powerful enough to draw round corners. So, if have to give up 3 fps to get those round corners, It's a concession I am willing to make.

Just tell me one simple and logic reason for us to move to Windows 10 and leave Windows 7 behind. Other than having the latest thing, which is a virus today, I don't see one. The interface is clearly a downgrade.
It's faster (and boots faster), lighter, more secure, and has access to newer APIs like DirectX 12. It is indeed better than Windows 7 in every possible way. You just personally don't like it, which is fine, just don't pretend that it's anything beyond your personal tastes or that there is anthing inherently wrong with the OS.

I think his statement about the UI being a downgrade went completely over your head. Beginning with Windows 8, the UI was targeted more at mobile devices more than anything. Concessions have, slowly, been made over the past 3 years but the UI still "reeks" of mobile devices everywhere you look. That's the dumbing down, or "downgrade" aspect of the Windows 10 UI.
Your last sentence is way too generalized. "The Windows 7 UI *IS* better than the Windows 10 UI on desktops".
I love the upgrade/install screen for Windows 10. It's a big beautiful circle that goes around itself while completing upgrades/new installs. Maybe it's because its one of the few places in the operating system you get to see something that isn't a square.
I say if they would just kill off the square corners it would be a decent OS once again. I've been using Windows 10 now for over a month. And I just can't get over the squareness of it all. Maybe I am being too anxious. Maybe if I give it another 10 years, I'll ...get used to it....*sigh*.
Although, I have a system powerful enough to draw round corners. So, if have to give up 3 fps to get those round corners, It's a concession I am willing to make.
The exact same for you. You have absolutely nothing else to complain about besides "I don't like how it looks" or "I prefer rounded corners over squared ones". Let's not pretend it's not about your personal tastes. Windows 10 is an improvement in every way over Windows 7, including in the UI, since the removal of superfluous skeuomorphic elements was a huge step in the right direction in terms of visual and interface design.
You can dislike squared corners and prefer round ones instead, and you can even wish to get the objectively worse skeomorphic elements (like faux glass and reflection effects, drop shadows and so on) back. But saying an OS is bad because the corners don't have the shape you like is absolutely hilarious. And saying it's bad due to a huge improvement in UI that was the removal of skeumorphism is even more so.
The OS isn't bad by any means. Just say "I personally don't like the style" and stop pretending it's anything beyond that.

I really fail to understand how the win 7 UI is better than what win 10 offers. looks aside, the UI from win 10 is faster, has additional features and scales better on different displays. unlike the win 8 UI, it's good for power users, just like win 7

you don't like the look? just install a third party theme. I'm sure you'll find thousands soon, but let me tell you... simple designs are the trend right now. only a few people want a lot of details. I was using the win 98 look on win 7 just because I found it to be better. glass should never ever be used. it's laggy, ugly and just plain bad.

Last edited:
you don't like the look? just install a third party theme.
Nailed it. I don't understand how so many people are dimissing this OS entirely only because they don't like how it looks by default, when custom themes have existed since bitmap themes were introduced in Windows XP, and require minimal tinkering (today there's even automatic .dll patchers for that).
Microsoft has no obligation to satisfy everyone's personal tastes by default. People who don't like the new theme will find plenty of alternatives for all tastes on wincustomize, deviantart and similars.

I really fail to understand how the win 7 UI is better than what win 10 offers. looks aside, the UI from win 10 is faster, has additional features and scales better on different displays. unlike the win 8 UI, it's good for power users, just like win 7

you don't like the look? just install a third party theme. I'm sure you'll find thousands soon, but let me tell you... simple designs are the trend right now. only a few people want a lot of details. I was using the win 98 look on win 7 just because I found it to be better. glass should never ever be used. it's laggy, ugly and just plain bad.

Looks aside? :) But that was kinda my whole point.

And you very smoothly refocused the conversation on how Windows 10 is faster, more secure, yada yada yada. We know all that. But the UI still "reeks" of a tablet UI. A tablet UI with concessions, like the Frankenstein start menu. I stand by my points.

You can't understand how or why people complain when they can install themes? It's called the OOBE. Look it up on the internet with your search engine of choice. If someone who isn't a complete n3Rd doesn't like the look they will probably just pass.

Just because I can do something doesn't mean I am happy about having to jump through the extra hoops. It would be easier for Microsoft to offer the option to "Turn on soft corners for all windows" than forcing millions of users to go out and hunt down and install 3rd party software.

The start menu is back, transparency is back, blur is back. The people have spoken. The round corners will be back soon.

And you very smoothly refocused the conversation on how Windows 10 is faster, more secure, yada yada yada. We know all that. But the UI still "reeks" of a tablet UI. A tablet UI with concessions, like the Frankenstein start menu. I stand by my points.

You can't understand how or why people complain when they can install themes? It's called the OOBE. Look it up on the internet with your search engine of choice. If someone who isn't a complete n3Rd doesn't like the look they will probably just pass.

Just because I can do something doesn't mean I am happy about having to jump through the extra hoops. It would be easier for Microsoft to offer the option to "Turn on soft corners for all windows" than forcing millions of users to go out and hunt down and install 3rd party software.

The start menu is back, transparency is back, blur is back. The people have spoken. The round corners will be back soon.

Uh, what tablet OS are you using that you are comparing it to? O.o
It doesn't look or act like iOS, it doesn't look or act like Android. Is there some secret "tablet OS" that only YOU know about?

Uh, what tablet OS are you using that you are comparing it to? O.o
It doesn't look or act like iOS, it doesn't look or act like Android. Is there some secret "tablet OS" that only YOU know about?

If he is talking about Windows tablets like the surface/surface pros, that's simply windows on a tablet. And Microsoft makes tablets that will work as a PC... Which makes a lot of sense.

let me tell you again: the ones who like more how win 7 looks compared to win 10 are the minority. it's called following a "trend". they aren't making win 10 look like that because they have a hunch that it will be liked better, it's all numbers and statistics. every decision they make is calculated.
in every thread of "I don't like how it looks" you'll find 2-3 that keep reposting the same thing, but you'll always find many more who defend win 10 and they are always new people.

just to end this: win 10 looks better and works better. yad yada yada. deal with it.

Not sure why you would have to "upgrade" to Windows 10? Then wait a bit. The upgrade to Windows 10 will be free for one year, so there is no rush to upgrade straight away. Then when Windows 10 has been around for a couple of months, check reviews and user experiences. There is no reason to upgrade on July 29th or to reserve your upgrade. Remember, I said it before, the early bird may get the worm, but the early adopter gets the bugs.

Not sure why you would have to "upgrade" to Windows 10? Then wait a bit. The upgrade to Windows 10 will be free for one year, so there is no rush to upgrade straight away. Then when Windows 10 has been around for a couple of months, check reviews and user experiences. There is no reason to upgrade on July 29th or to reserve your upgrade. Remember, I said it before, the early bird may get the worm, but the early adopter gets the bugs.

Yes, but 300 less bugs in Build 10159 versus 10158... :)
And I have two computers. One running Windows 7 and one running Windows 10. So, it's no big deal for me personally. I'll run them side-by-side...so to speak.

The Windows 8 UI was a deal breaker. The UI in Windows 10 isn't a deal breaker. I imagine it still won't win any high praises from tech geeks and power users like myself but it's become tolerable.

Still, running these two operating systems side by side, I still don't have any compelling reasons to choose Windows 10 over my Windows 7 machine. I do like the fact that the boot up and log on is very fast but most of that is attributable to the Windows 10 machine having an SSD. If I put one in my Windows 7 machine(got one but been lazy about it) I probably couldn't tell the difference.

We can sit here and rattle off bullet points about why Windows 10 is better than Windows 7 but theory is not reality in terms of day to day practical use.

I do like the fact that Windows 10 File Explorer treats .ISO containers almost like regular files. But thats just one of those cases where Microsoft decided, "You know what, lets not make the user have to go hunt down a virtual drive installation. Let's make it work out out-of-the-box". And thats kinda nice.

Still, using either computer day to day, I can almost play eenie-meenie-miney-mo and not care which system I end up on from a functionality point of view.

Last edited:
There is nothing groundbreaking about Windows 10 to make you want to upgrade. The reason I will is because of a small boost in performance and that's about it. If the UI annoys me I will switch back to 7 or 8.
How about Direct X 12, that's a pretty serious update if you are a gamer.

Not going to rehash what's been said above, but for more stuff over 7 - better task manager, graphical file transfer window boxes and ability to pause file transfers. I'm sure most people don't need to be able to pause a transfer or even see speed over time, but I like it. Many many times over the years I've been transferring data over various drives/partitions and accidentally started a transfer from another partition on the same drive and had the speed drop and hdd thrashing begin. Instead of having some of the files transfer and then needing to delete them or start over later and have to skip a bunch of duplicates, I can just recognize what is going on and pause one.

Every move they make is calculated huh? Including the release of Windows 8? LOL. Ouch!!!

Just because I have a DVD in my room sitting on a shelf that I haven't watched for 3 years doesn't mean I want you coming in my room, stealing it off the shelf, and setting it on fire because you mistakenly decided I wasn't using it and made my decision for me that I would never use it again.

Microsoft's practice of collecting and using telemetry data this way on the features people use in Windows is about as "smart"(read as stupid) as you coming to my house and taking away a DVD I haven't watched for 3 years.

It's pointless, its ridiculous, and frankly its none of anyone's business.

Many more that defend Windows 10? LOL. Yeah, because Windows 8 sucked so damn hard Windows 10 looks like a nerd wet dream. Why else do you think they boosted the number to 10 over 9? To get Windows 8 out of peoples heads. That's all.

Microsoft has pulled off one of the most masterful psychological ploys of this decade in my own opinion. People are so gullible.

Half of what Windows 10 is basically what was ripped out of Windows 7 and put back and we're all giddy over it. :)
Oh Except for the Media Center that has been killed off and native DVD playback.

Last edited:

Good reply Puiu... all those points gets me salivating, I WANT Windows 10 NOW! hehe
I like Win 8.1, but Win 8 was a disaster...The new OS is made for desktop users & touchscreen users alike.

Good reply Puiu... all those points gets me salivating, I WANT Windows 10 NOW! hehe
I like Win 8.1, but Win 8 was a disaster...The new OS is made for desktop users & touchscreen users alike.

Getting excited over a list of superficial bullet points, that when translated into the real world, don't really alter your experience over Windows 7 all that much?

You may want to talk to a doctor about getting prescription meds. You excite too easily.

"Win 10 UI is fully 'functional'" - Oh you mean, it isn't broken then? Good news!!!
"Better memory management" - And this translates into what exactly? Memory is so cheap these days there isn't really any need for silly built-in memory hacks. I am running Windows 7 with 16.0GB of memory and do not have any issues. Why get excited about something that doesn't tranlsate to anything tangible in the real world?

"DirectX 12" support. No games even released that target this yet that I am aware of.
"Better battery life" - for desktop users, who cares? For Windows 10 desktop users, who cares? My phone OS is Android.

"Apps support"?? You mean I can run a half-assed version of a full-blown application on my quad-core PC?? "Gee Wally. That sounds swell". *banging head against the wall in disbelief*.

"Cortana"?? That's a benefit? Only if it falls under the category of "accessibility" for those have typing issues or if it's used on a mobile device. I don't foresee ever using it on the desktop.

"Multi-desktops" - a feature that has been in Linux since the beginning of time and available in Windows as a 3rd party software addition for a long while. I personally think Microsofts native implementation sucks. It's not very intuitive or easy to figure out.

"Notifications" - thats a bullet point? They're in windows 7 for God sake. But if you like little system messages "jacking" the far right half of your screen to tell you about every little update that the OS is doing or has done then I can see your excitement. I think the notification system is obnoxious and over-sized on Windows 10. Its painfully obvious the desktop notification system on the Windows 10 desktop are "leftovers" from the mobile UI or drop-in substitutions for a true desktop notification system. One that doesn't hijack your screen from top to bottom to make much ado about ...well...nothing most of the time.

"Better touch-screen support" - for phones good. For desktops, who cares? This is why I never even acknowledged Windows 8 as a true operating system. the mix'n'mash approach causes both of the UI's to suffer. Windows 10 is still drowning in "leftovers" from Windows 8 as far the UI goes. Putting a crappy start menu back didn't make Windows 10 "magically" better. It simply stopped the bleeding.

I will say Windows 10 is an improvement over Windows 8 but let's not get overly excited. Windows 10 is as Microsoft rightfully claims. A work in progress. I am not sure if I like the fact that Windows 10 will "never be finished". I don't know if that's good or bad. But I am thinking its bad.

Edit: Oh one last thing, which has been the origin of most of the Windows 8 hate. The square windows gotta go. At the very least, add the ability for round window corners to be turned on as an option. My Intel CPUs can handle it.

I feel confident this will be implemented in a future patch/update/whatever hip word they're using now akin to "apps". Maybe they will be called "ups" soon, yeah, thats hip. Damn, I feel hip now. Apps and ups. Sweet!

Why am I so confident round-corners will make a return to a future Windows?
Because like a dripping faucet I will keep bitching about it until they do. Plus, they'll have an extra bullet to use when the time comes.

Last edited:
Getting excited over a list of superficial bullet points, that when translated into the real world, don't really alter your experience over Windows 7 all that much?
I don't understand. you are a tech-savvy dude right? then why in the world do you think a desktop PC is more important than laptops, tablets or other mobile devices?
you do realise that not every laptop or even PC comes with 16GB of RAM? 4Gb is actually the norm for pre built PCs or laptops. and the average Joe don't even know what ram is and that you can upgrade it.
as for battery life, it's THE most important optimisation of them all. Win7 is just utter crap when it comes to this. I'll continue enjoying games and using the internet as I travel while you'll be playing flappy bird on your phone because you can't take your PC with you.
wake up, you are not living in an age where big tower PCs are the bulk of the sales.

PS: the round corners... I'm so glad they removed them. same as aero.
PS2: not everybody has your crappy, high end, Intel cpu.

Back