Microsoft Mouse and Trackball cables compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugsy

I just need to know if the USB cable in a Microsoft 5 button optical mouse ends in an internal plastic plug?

I have a Microsoft 5 button optical trackball with a broken wire than can't be repaired. When I looked online to buy a replacement, only then did I lean Microsoft stopped making/selling their optical trackball's (WTF?), so there are no replacement parts out there to be had. They are so rare now, even broken trackballs fetch a premium.

I opened it up to see if I could fix it, and the cable ends in a simple five-connector plug, so fixing my trackball couldn't be easier. If only I could find a replacement cable!

Microsoft still makes/sells their 5 button optical mice (but doesn't sell parts). If it uses the same cable, I figure I can buy a cheap one just for the cord and use it in my trackball.

Anyone out there ever open up their Microsoft 5 button optical mouse that can confirm for me if the cable just plugs in inside?

Go ahead and try the cable... I hope the wire color codes are the same. I use a wireless Logitech. Maybe it's time for you to switch to a wireless mouse

Don't already have the cable.

Tmagic650 said:
Go ahead and try the cable... I hope the wire color codes are the same. I use a wireless Logitech. Maybe it's time for you to switch to a wireless mouse
Unfortunately, I don't already have such a cable. I would have to buy an optical mouse and cannibalize it for the cable. I was hoping someone could confirm for me they are a match before spending the money to do so.

The trackball I bought to replace it is in fact the Logitech Wireless. Sux big time. I must use rechargeable batteries as it drains them every two weeks. A real pain. Likewise, the ball and buttons are badly positioned so it is difficult to use.

I much prefer my old MS trackball, which is why I'm looking to fix it.

Logitech makes many, many styles of wireless mice... some are better than others. I have a generic Logitech wireless mouse that performs very well and the batteries (2-AA's) last for 2 or 3 months before needing to be recharged. It just isn't practical to repair mice these days. As I said before, you can try the cable replacement. I doubt if anyone here can confirm if the replacement cable will work for sure

Are you reading me?

Tmagic650 said:
Logitech makes many, many styles of wireless mice...
Yes, but only ONE wIreless TRACKBALL.

Tmagic650 said:
I have a generic Logitech wireless mouse that performs very well and the batteries (2-AA's) last for 2 or 3 months before needing to be recharged. It just isn't practical to repair mice these days.
Again, this is a TRACKBALL, not a mouse. And since MS no longer makes it, "repair" is my only option.

I loved my Kensington TrackBall mouse. It cost $100 at the time. After it broke for the 2nd time, I switched to a standard Logitech wireless mouse... It's been 3 years now

Good luck with the repair

Microsoft Mouse and Trackball cables compatible? (fresh thread)

(I am reposting my question due to the previous thread becoming filled with inapplicable responses.)

I simply need to know if the USB cable of a Microsoft 5 button optical mouse is identical to the cord in the MS optical TRACKBALL (ie: ends in an internal plastic plug)?

Explanation:

I have a Microsoft 5 button optical trackball with a broken wire than can't be repaired (kitten bit threw it). When I looked online to buy a replacement, I discovered Microsoft stopped making/selling their optical trackball's (WTF?), so there are no replacement parts out there to be had. They are so rare now, even broken trackballs fetch a premium.

I opened it up to see if I could fix it, and the cable ends in a simple five-connector plastic plug, so fixing my trackball couldn't be easier. If only I could find a replacement cable!

So I'm thinking, Microsoft still makes/sells their 5 button optical mice (but doesn't sell parts). If it uses the same cable, I figure I can just buy a cheap one just for the cord and use it to fix my trackball.

Has anyone out there ever opened up their Microsoft 5 button optical mouse and can confirm if the cable just plugs in inside?

Thanks.

I am not sure, but I think Tmagic done his best to answer your same question in the other thread. So you are saying that MS does not make track ball mice anymore? I am also fairly sure the cable you are talking about will not simply plug in. Have you checked eBay maybe?

"I am reposting my question due to the previous thread becoming filled with inapplicable responses"...

So you think my responses are inapplicable huh...

You are looking for a direct replacement cable from a non-trackball mouse... I know no such thing exists. You say that your kitten bit though just one wire? Fix that wire. Strip a little insulation off each section and twist the ends together, using tape to protect the repair.

...and technically this is a double post, don't kid yourself

halo71 said:
So you are saying that MS does not make track ball mice anymore? I am also fairly sure the cable you are talking about will not simply plug in. Have you checked eBay maybe?
You shouldn't say "trackball mouse". Thats like saying a "sportscar truck". A trackball is not a mouse. You don't slide it around your desk like you do a mouse.

I have checked eBay. As I already noted, even broken MS trackballs go for lots of money (over $25). But MS optical 5-btn mice sell for under $10. If the cable is a match, I can buy one, open it up and pilfer the usb cable.

Tmagic650 said:
So you think my responses are inapplicable huh...

You are looking for a direct replacement cable from a non-trackball mouse... I know no such thing exists. You say that your kitten bit though just one wire? Fix that wire.
No offense intended, but you don't seem to understand the problem, and threads with too many unhelpful posts quickly get ignored.

While some companies make mice with a built-in trackball in the top ("trackball mouse"), that is NOT what I have. This is purely a trackball. Trackballs are great for people with little or no desk space to move a mouse around.

The USB cord on the trackball is six wires thick... one for each button plus ball. The wire was completely bitten in two, so not just "one" wire was cut, but six. It is a copper "shielded" wire, so you can't just splice the broken ends together and have it work again. If it were that simple, I wouldn't be here asking this question.

Please don't make me start a THIRD thread.

I guess you were wrong.

howard_hopkinso said:
Threads merged.

I don`t see ny need to open a new thread for this subject.

Regards Howard :)
Since you merged the threads, I have not received a single reply.

A new thread was started for a reason. People tend to ignore questions when they see there have already been 27 other replies, thinking the matter is being taken care of.

A fresh thread with few or no responses is more likely to be read and responded to.

As has already been said, it`s very doubtful whether anyone here will be able to confirm or otherwise whether the cable from the mouse would work with the trackball.

That`s probably the reason for the lack of suggestions, rather than the number of replies.

It really is a case of you trying and seeing if it works. If it doesn`t, I don`t see any other alternative than to purchase a new trackball or see if you can find a second hand(Microsoft) trackball on E-Bay for example.

Or, you could try searching through these results.

As for this thread having 27 replies, up to me merging your threads, it only had 9 replies. ;)

Let's see.

howard_hopkinso said:
As has already been said, it`s very doubtful whether anyone here will be able to confirm or otherwise
Let's test that theory out, shall we?

Mugsy, loosen up a bit here.
Get yourself a ball mouse, turn upside down so it's legs are in the air and stick it to the mousemat with playdough or bluetack.
Now you have a trackball mouse!

Anyone ever open their MS mouse?

I need to know if the cable inside of a Microsoft 5-button optical mouse ends in a "plug" so it can be easily switched out?

Dumb.

AlbertLionheart said:
Mugsy, loosen up a bit here.
Get yourself a ball mouse, turn upside down so it's legs are in the air and stick it to the mousemat with playdough or bluetack.
Now you have a trackball mouse!
Okay, I hope you are just being silly, because no one makes an Optical mouse with a ball. If I wanted a "non-optical" trackball, I could just buy one.

And turning a ball mouse upside down: up would be down and left would move right.

"Since you merged the threads, I have not received a single reply"...

Since there is only one wire damaged in the cable, take it to someone who is good with a soldering and have them fix the damaged cable.

Everythig has been said regarding your post, so it's logical that no further replies are necessary

Standard on most mice - probably so that the USB and PS2 versions can be made the same with different cables

Just need some confirmation before I blow $10 on a perfectly useless mouse. :)

Are you providing *confirmation*?

I don`t know why you found it necessary to open yet another new thread for this subject?

I have merged your thread into your existing one.

Please don`t open any new threads for this subject.

Argh.

howard_hopkinso said:
I don`t know why you found it necessary to open yet another new thread for this subject?
Okay, I know you don't mean to be a pain, but I'm getting ticked.

I posted my question, and rather than receive helpful responses, I get one person that can't seem to grasp that the problem is more complicated than splicing a single wire.

Then you declare my problem as "answered" or "assume" that no one can probably help because you keep merging my threads to the point where no one helpful replies anymore.

I'm a tech of more than 25 years experience. Do you REALLY think I'd be wasting my time reposting this question if it was a simple matter of splicing a single wire?

I'm going to start a FOURTH thread. You are NOT going to merge it back in with this endless string of unhelpful nonsense. Are we clear?

Try #4: Anyone ever open their MS mouse?

Simple question, needs a simple answer. I want to know if the USB cord inside a Microsoft 5-button Optical mouse simply plugs into its circuit board.

If so, it will provide me with a way to purchase a replacement cord for my trackball whose cord was bitten in two by a curious kitten. :)

Just buy a wireless mouse as your kitten can't bite it's cord!

I think there's a joke in here somewhere (cat biting a mouse! juk! juk!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back