TechSpot

Microsoft now accepting pre-orders for Sharks Cove development board

By Shawn Knight
Jul 29, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Arduino, Raspberry Pi and similar hobby boards have proven incredibly successful among enthusiasts and educational institutions which is why Intel and Microsoft have joined forces to create a board of their own.

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,561   +862

Lol no

Wendig0 likes this.
  3. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

Wait... $300 and they can't even manage to put a freakin ethernet port on this thing? But it's no problem on a $40 R-Pi?

Wow... just... wow...

Littleczr, Darkshadoe and Wendig0 like this.
  4. If you read the linked MS article you will find this isn't actually meant to compete with the Raspberry Pi or similar boards. It's meant to facilitate Windows driver develop and other things but it seems their intended audience is experienced developers not tinkerers or students.

VitalyT likes this.
  5. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 494   +126

Cool board I have wanted like a intel nuc with the quad core atoms from the tablets not the crap dual core celerons they have been putting in them, this is kinda close.

6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,558   +2,900

All I can say is for $300, I'm not interested. And the fact it comes with an image of Windows 8.1 makes it even less interesting for me. I'd rather spend the $300 on a Raspberry Pi out of spite.

Darkshadoe likes this.
  7. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,392   +329

They have to be trolling to stick a 8.1 image on something like that.... and for $300... might as well get a decent system lol

8. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,155   +1,431

Another product for no market - well done! :) Inventing one - I don't think so, not with this...

9. ikesmasher

experienced developers are using workstations and a wide variety of testing grounds not just one slow and small board...especially for DEVEOPMENT.

10. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

I dare say you can purchase a laptop with better specs for $300. Is this intended for commercial applications?

ikesmasher likes this.
  11. I never said they weren't.

12. ikesmasher

Whats the point of a crappy board not used by consumers to developers? if its for testing, why not get a $300 piece of equipment that consumers actually use?