Microsoft OneDrive to offer 8GB bonus free storage and folder sharing feature

Himanshu Arora

Staff

A couple of weeks ago, Microsoft renamed SkyDrive to OneDrive after losing a trademark dispute with British Sky Broadcasting Group over the "Sky" name. Although OneDrive is yet to make its debut, it looks like the service will provide some added features compared to SkyDrive. According to a LiveSlide report, Microsoft's cloud storage service will offer folder sharing, as well as 8GB bonus free storage for referrals and syncing your mobile device's camera roll to the service.

For every friend you invite and actually joins OneDrive, both you and your friend will get an extra 500 MB of storage, up to a maximum of 5GB free storage or 10 friends. Another 3GB free storage can be earned by syncing photos from your camera roll to OneDrive using the OneDrive app for iOS, Android, or the built-in Windows Phone function.

The bonus 8GB free storage does not expire, and would be in addition to the 7GB free storage (25GB for those who were one of the early SkyDrive adopters) that every new user gets.

OneDrive will also let you share folders. Dubbed 'co-owned folders', the feature would let you add, edit, and delete files, and invite people to a folder. Co-owned folders work just like any other personal folders within OneDrive, and you can sync them with any of your devices -- no offline access to shared content was one of the biggest limitations of SkyDrive over the past few years.

Permalink to story.

So if I understand this article correctly, it'll work exactly like Google Drive with 15Gb free storage (if you include 7Gb you already get free with Sky Drive) and automatic uploading of photos to that space if you also happen to use a Windows blower...

I hate it just because it's integrated into the system, it's a bandwidth hog and you can't easily find the settings, I actually found out how to disable it at least. Liked it more when you had the icon open, if you didnt like it close it on the tray and voila, no net usage.

So if I understand this article correctly, it'll work exactly like Google Drive with 15Gb free storage (if you include 7Gb you already get free with Sky Drive) and automatic uploading of photos to that space if you also happen to use a Windows blower...

Auto upload has been available since Window Phone 8 debut 1.5 years ago. The only thing new here is the 8GB of free space (that you have to earn), and co-owning folders. Previously, user was already able to share folders to the public.

Auto upload has been available since Window Phone 8 debut 1.5 years ago. The only thing new here is the 8GB of free space (that you have to earn), and co-owning folders. Previously, user was already able to share folders to the public.
Even though I have Sky Drive but I've never bothered it. All I was aware of was that it offered a measly 7Gb gigs of free storage. I suppose some will find it handy but I'd rather store my files myself, I'm not in the business of sharing my files.

Box gives 50GB free to new members once a year during the Black Friday. I don't use the skydrive or onedrive. More on Box then these lesser ones.

Back