TechSpot

Microsoft ordered to rename SkyDrive over trademark infringement

By Shawn Knight
Jul 31, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is being forced to rename its cloud storage service following an unfavorable ruling in the English High Court which found SkyDrive infringed on a trademark owned by BSkyB. Microsoft planned to appeal the decision which was handed down last...

Read more

2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,189   +244

Since when did sky have a product called "SkyDrive" ? As what I understand you cant say x/y/z infringes on my trademark if you dont have a product or trademark of the same name right?

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

SkyDrive is one of the few products from Microsoft that is actually superior to its competitors. I'd hate to see it change, as it has a nice ring to it.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,063   +919

SkyDrive was never a good name. I dont mind seeing a new name.

5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 892   +133

It doesn't have to have a product of the same name, it just has to be a case where consumers could be confused. From what I understand, Sky had some cloud services in the past, and also releases products as Sky ____, Sky ____.

6. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Maniac Posts: 1,189   +244

Why doesn't apple change their name then as some people could be confused with the word apple as in the food apple. lol or microsoft for micro windows where you would have it on nano-robots.

7. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,715   +89

They're going to have to change a lot of documentation now with Windows 8, 8.1 and everything else that uses the word Skydrive in it'. Office 2013 has SkyDrive Pro. They should have called it something else.

8. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 549   +149

"Ctrl + F" "Replace All" ;)

St1ckM4n likes this.
  9. backo

backo TS Member Posts: 58   +8

I like SkyDrive - the name and service... hope they come up with a good new name.

treeski likes this.
  10. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Rookie Posts: 66   +12

They should call it "up yours Murdoch".

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,352   +807

Poor old M$. They've been taking a lot of kicks to the nuts lately. I wonder how many more are in store for them...

12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,260   +1,551

SOB!! We are gonna have so many trademark names, there will not be any vacancies left for new names. What in hell will we do then?

Edit:
    Lets all sue each other for having the same personal names. The oldest wins the lawsuit as proof they carried the name the longest.

GhostRyder likes this.
  13. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,294   +547

I agree, at this point were already having trouble naming movies, games, services, really everything. Everyone is playing the lawsuit game with words and its getting real old real fast. I mean game companies get sued for using a word in their games name that happens to be one word used in another game (For instance, Mojang got hit for making a game called scroll by Bethesda for their game the Elder Scrolls). I don't know what this world is going to come to in the near future, im actually surprised sony has not sued Microsoft for calling its console the Xbox ONE (Because of the PSONE lol). I wish society would just grow up and make games and stuff and the names just not be a concern for lawsuits and cease and desist orders. I would not mind as much if it was a suit over Someone naming something like where the names are almost identical, but one word should not be enough for a suit.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  14. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

15. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Enthusiast Posts: 233   +7

What a crock of ****, how many ppl have seen the name sky drive and been confused thinking it had any sort of relation to Sky. Infact isnt the word sky and infringement :>D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.