Microsoft ordered to rename SkyDrive over trademark infringement

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft skydrive trademark

Microsoft is being forced to rename its cloud storage service following an unfavorable ruling in the English High Court which found SkyDrive infringed on a trademark owned by BSkyB. Microsoft planned to appeal the decision which was handed down last month but has since opted against that move in exchange for temporary use of the SkyDrive name.

How long Microsoft will be able to continue to use the SkyDrive name, however, is unknown at this hour.

In a statement on the matter, Sky said they were pleased to have reached a settlement after Microsoft agreed not to appeal the earlier judgment. The company said they will remain vigilant in protecting the Sky brand and will continue to take action against those that seek to use their trademark without consent.

Naturally, Microsoft wasn’t as cheery about the outcome. A published statement from Microsoft said they were glad to have resolution of the naming dispute and will continue to deliver the great service that hundreds of millions of customers expect by providing the best way to always have access to files.

Having to rename the cloud storage service certainly won’t be a deal-breaker for Microsoft although it must be rather bothersome having to do so after it got off to such a strong start. Either way, we have no idea what Microsoft plans to rename the service to. A spokesperson for Redmond noted the scope of the changes won’t be limited to one specific region which means it’ll be a global name change whenever it takes place.

Permalink to story.

Since when did sky have a product called "SkyDrive" ? As what I understand you cant say x/y/z infringes on my trademark if you dont have a product or trademark of the same name right?

SkyDrive is one of the few products from Microsoft that is actually superior to its competitors. I'd hate to see it change, as it has a nice ring to it.

Since when did sky have a product called "SkyDrive" ? As what I understand you cant say x/y/z infringes on my trademark if you dont have a product or trademark of the same name right?

It doesn't have to have a product of the same name, it just has to be a case where consumers could be confused. From what I understand, Sky had some cloud services in the past, and also releases products as Sky ____, Sky ____.

Why doesn't apple change their name then as some people could be confused with the word apple as in the food apple. lol or microsoft for micro windows where you would have it on nano-robots.

They're going to have to change a lot of documentation now with Windows 8, 8.1 and everything else that uses the word Skydrive in it'. Office 2013 has SkyDrive Pro. They should have called it something else.

They're going to have to change a lot of documentation now with Windows 8, 8.1 and everything else that uses the word Skydrive in it'. Office 2013 has SkyDrive Pro. They should have called it something else.
"Ctrl + F" "Replace All" ;)

Poor old M$. They've been taking a lot of kicks to the nuts lately. I wonder how many more are in store for them...

SOB!! We are gonna have so many trademark names, there will not be any vacancies left for new names. What in hell will we do then?

Edit:
Lets all sue each other for having the same personal names. The oldest wins the lawsuit as proof they carried the name the longest.

SOB!! We are gonna have so many trademark names, there will not be any vacancies left for new names. What in hell will we do then?

Edit:
Lets all sue each other for having the same personal names. The oldest wins the lawsuit as proof they carried the name the longest.

I agree, at this point were already having trouble naming movies, games, services, really everything. Everyone is playing the lawsuit game with words and its getting real old real fast. I mean game companies get sued for using a word in their games name that happens to be one word used in another game (For instance, Mojang got hit for making a game called scroll by Bethesda for their game the Elder Scrolls). I don't know what this world is going to come to in the near future, im actually surprised sony has not sued Microsoft for calling its console the Xbox ONE (Because of the PSONE lol). I wish society would just grow up and make games and stuff and the names just not be a concern for lawsuits and cease and desist orders. I would not mind as much if it was a suit over Someone naming something like where the names are almost identical, but one word should not be enough for a suit.

What a crock of ****, how many ppl have seen the name sky drive and been confused thinking it had any sort of relation to Sky. Infact isnt the word sky and infringement :>D

Back