Microsoft Outlook 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazza

HI,

I have a serious problem with Microsoft Outlook 2003. It wont stop receiving mail
.Once it downloads the mail from the mail server. It doesnt stop, it just continues to download mail(the same mail) over and over again.

Odd. In your POP3 settings for the account, click the Advanced button. Move to the Advanced tab and see if "keep a copy of messages on server" is ticked.

Even if it is, Outlook shouldn't behave in this way as the message on the server should be flagged as read... but it's worth a look.

Nope, I have checked that setting. It is unchecked. It does not leave messages on the server. So I am still receiving duplicate emails

HELP please please

Perhaps the problem is at the mail server? Try setting up a dummy free email account somewhere (if you do not have another) and test Outlook with that. If it works OK it could be the mail server.

If not, perhaps your account info in Outlook may be corrupt in some way, Try removing all accounts and re-adding them.

I have just reinstalled outlook and added my mail accounts again. Seems to be working correctly. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the help

Normally, this is a symptom of a corrupt or stuck email at the server end, but can also indicate corrupt account settings at the client. What happens is that the POP3 client issues the receive command 1st and when complete issues the delete. If server or client disconnects early, the delete never happens, and you download the same emails over & over again.

Deleting the email account and re-adding will only resolve if the issue was on the client end. If that doesn't fix it, check the web-based interface against your downloaded emails, and remove the first one you haven't downloaded from the queue - this normally means read and delete.

If this happens a lot, ask your host if they filter out email that doesn't comply to the appropriate RFCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back