Microsoft patents used in Android licensing deals revealed by Chinese government

By Jos
Jun 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has been using its extensive patent portfolio to extract licensing deals with a long list of Android and Chrome OS manufacturers, entitling them to an undisclosed fee per device sold. So far the strategy has been a success for...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +683

Does MS make 'millions' from Android? Perhaps, we don't really know, it's all speculation. Either way, I really doubt the millions from Android either can, or are needed to cover any losses from mobile and gaming. MSFT had 78 Billion in revenue, that's 78 thousand million... which means Android patents fees are a very small percentage. MSFT makes so much money on Office and Windows they can afford to lose plenty on mobile and gaming.
    Gaming isn't a money maker in the console market anymore. Devs are getting laid off...and unless you can pull off a Candy Crush you're not going to make much on a game.

I think these patents help MSFT at least make something in the mobile market... I don't think they're needed to balance out a gaming loss. Half the reason to make a console is to get your box in the living room for content delivery.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,043   +218

Wow... So basically microsoft is a patent troll that bought patents then used them to force legit companies to pay money to them because they are with the corrupt american system...
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,010   +683

If by patent troll, you mean conducting business just like everyone else in the arcane and obsolete American patent law environment, then yes, you're right.
  5. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,195   +69

As soon as I read the title I knew I would read "someone" writting patent troll... patent troll... patent troll...

Good lord with wastedposts, don't even try Milwaukee it's futile.
  6. wastedkill

wastedkill TechSpot Maniac Posts: 1,043   +218

Hence why I am currently making a license deal with the world leaders to pay me $10 per person born as I have just patented "Birth" Which it is possible thanks to the great 100% working legit patent system :)
  7. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,195   +69

Good to know it's a 100% working legit patent system.

All I can say is when you do, sue me for those $10 ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.