TechSpot

Microsoft planning TV subscription service for Xbox

By Emil
Nov 29, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has engaged in talks with cable networks and media companies to bring a subscription television service to the Xbox 360 game console, according to "two people familiar with the plans" cited by Reuters. The reported discussions include more than the big broadcast networks; like the ESPN service already available on Xbox Live, there could be content from premium providers such as HBO and Showtime.

Read the whole story

2. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 972   +52

Considering the 360s massive userbase compared to AppleTV and GoogleTV, if this is even remotely successful It'll easily rival the two, especially if they allow Zune/Win7Phone integration to some extent.

3. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

Sounds interesting, hopefully if they do go ahead with this they will offer service beyond the US.

4. I hope this works out and they have great content. I would love to "cut the cable" completely, if it weren't for my wife I would have done this long ago. I watch maybe 3-5 channels on cable .

5. Xero07

Xero07 TS Rookie Posts: 93

Wow the related stories go all the way back to the zune hd release.

On topic, I kinda like this idea if its pricing is competitive to cable and satellite networks.

6. edison5do

edison5do TS Rookie Posts: 239

just like you It will be good to have TV servise over the internet with a good price, even if that mean buy 2 X360 (1 tv, 1 Gaming) jeje that way my family would not be saying,,... pliease put the movie in the middle of my game..... -) but as im on PC now...with kinet on the way. ok I´ll pass.

7. 360 already delivers IPTV. If you have have AT&T Uverse you can use your 360 as a set top box for a one time fee of $99. In the UK you can use Sky player

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.