TechSpot

Microsoft pulls Windows 8.1 update for Surface RT following BSOD reports

By Shawn Knight
Oct 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft recently pulled its Windows RT 8.1 update from the Windows Store after a number of Surface owners reported seeing the infamous Blue Screen of Death after installing the update. An accompanying error message notified users that their PC needed...

Read more

2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

My 8 pro x64 install failed. No idea on which part, because the PC was just hung. Gonna try again now.

3. ...and everyone switched to Ubuntu. The End. :)

4. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 655   +95

MS cannot use their normal get out of jail free card as RT is a closed system!

5. ... but after realizing Ubuntu graphics drivers suck, they quickly switched back to the good old Windows 7.

backo likes this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

I wonder when MS will realize they're flogging a dead horse with RT...

7. nazartp

nazartp TS Enthusiast Posts: 205   +10

Mine went without hitch. Took about 25-30 minutes altogether without my participation.

8. BMfan

BMfan TS Guru Posts: 481   +49

Left mine over night(for about 6hrs while I slept),when I woke up it was still busy installing,I just restarted then it installed properly.
    Then when updating the sata ahci drivers in the afternoon,it wouldn't boot back into windows,8 said I must restore or use the disc to do a repair,so I said screw this crap and went back to 7,never had problems with 7 when updating sata drivers and MS still think that people don't use auto dial vpn anymore.

9. Seventh Reign

Seventh Reign TS Rookie Posts: 92   +33

Until they noticed that the current Windows 7 drivers are far more buggy than even the Ubuntu ones, and decided to do what they should have done in the first place. Switch to Arch. And everyone lived happily ever after. Without having to format and re-install every 6 months.

10. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

11. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +27

I would have to disagree. For the moment, the RT OS does serve a purpose for casual users who want to do just a little extra "work"....just as the iPad does. IMO, the Bay Trail tablets really aren't useful for producivity given the fact that they are still underpowered, less battery life than ARM, some lack a kick stand & an attractive keyboard accessory. Where's the benefit of Windows 8.1 Pro on a device that is 8-inches, meant for vertical orientation and has no keyboard?

12. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Haha, thanks for the laugh buddy. Really brightened my morning.

13. coppersloane

coppersloane TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

Been using 8.1 on my Surface RT for 3 days straight, no problems. Guess I got lucky.

14. If you have yet to go tin foil hat mode, Windows 8(.1) on a tablet is great. Same as Windows 7 on a desktop is great. At least until the Open Source revolution goes full swing. :p

15. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

You fell into the RT trap! xD

16. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

MS has just shown Apple who is the real BSOD king. take that copy-cat Apple!

JC713 and St1ckM4n like this.
  17. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Cool, my PC updated after the third attempt. It conveniently lost my wifi settings. How lousy can you get at an update to lose that?!

18. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,021   +913

It is funny because they probably changed nothing under the hood really xD.

19. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 634   +60

Not to be one upped by Apple.

20. coppersloane

coppersloane TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

The only drawback in falling into the "trap" is app selection pales in comparison to Apple/Android, the inevitable result of no one buying the damn thing. Otherwise, I've written dozens of essays, as well as two whole novels on this thing. It's a success for me because I do a lot of work on my portable devices. The only entertainment I require is Netflix, which it has, and I do my PC gaming on my desktop. I'm the perfect example of Microsoft's target audience for the Surface.

21. Unfortunately, their happiness were short-lived when they found out they can't play their favorite PC games, run Photoshop, and it is not compatible with most hardware (e.g. printers, sound cards, etc). Fortunately, they didn't throw away their Windows Product key. They switched back to good ol' windows once again and everyone lived happily ever after.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.