Microsoft quietly unveils 'Modern Keyboard' with integrated fingerprint sensor

Jos

Staff

It’s been little over six month since Microsoft launched the Surface Keyboard but the company is already planning a successor. A new Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID was spotted in the Microsoft Store, listed as “coming soon”, and appears to be nearly identical to its predecessor save for a couple of updates: it has a fingerprint reader integrated into the second Windows key on the right-hand side of the keyboard, and it offers the ability to use a cable for a wired connection instead of wireless.

The keyboard matches the latest Surface models in design, with a silver and gray finish, "Chiclet"-style keys and aluminum frame that's heavy and "virtually indestructible" according to Microsoft.

It ships with two AAA batteries that can last up to two months when used wirelessly over a Bluetooth 4.0 connection, and are recharged if used over a wired connection.

While it’s optimized to work with Windows 10, it also works with Windows 8.x, Android, iOS and macOS. Microsoft specifically calls out Windows 7 as being incompatible. The biometric functionality is likely Windows 10 only, however. It can be used to log into Windows 10 or websites using Windows Hello.

The Modern keyboard will be priced at $129.99 when it becomes available, slightly higher than the $99.99 Surface Keyboard. Microsoft will also be selling a $50 Modern Mouse, which appears to be a rebranded version of the existing Surface Mouse.

Permalink to story.

The keyboard looks cool, though that mouse looks super uncomfortable. Not as bad as their arc mouse tho xD

"While it’s optimized to work with Windows 10, it also works with Windows 8.x, Android, iOS and macOS. Microsoft specifically calls out Windows 7 as being incompatible".

So basically at the end of the day, this is simply another attempt by M$, to force Windows 10 on unsuspecting passersby/typists.

I like and continue to use, M$' "Comfort Curve" series of keyboards. That grotesque obscenity's plan-form, looks exactly like a keyboard I can buy for $3.99 on sale, and $5.99, day in, day out, at "Microcenter".

0466221_081141.jpg

But, for a free sample of this thing which offends my eyes, I would be willing to find out if it could endure the, "Cranky's Coffee, Coca-Cola. and typing in Confined Corners Challenge".

Last edited:
Can support Android and iOS, two independent operating systems that are also COMPLETELY different from Windows, and yet no Windows 7 support (specifically). Yeah it doesn't get any more transparent than that. Even those who are resistant to conspiracy theories can see what's really going on here.

Protip Microsoft: You know an operating system is good when people flock to it of their own free will. There hasn't been an OS as successful as Windows 7 since Windows 95 (relatively).

Integrated fingerprint sensor on device that is full of fingerprints seems like the last place to put one. Seems like one of the worst ideas ever if you stop to think about security for one second. No surprise this was invented by microsoft.

Apple has forgotten how to innovate so somebody has to try.
Here's the thing, I'd call the aesthetic design of that keyboard, "Scandinavian post modern". And the simple facts of the matter are, the keyboard was invented a long, long, time ago, and you could have gotten electronic equipment styled along those lines for the past 40 years at least, from "Bang & Olufsen".

So take a deep breath and explain to me, exactly to what "innovation" are you referring? :confused:

Here's the thing, I'd call the aesthetic design of that keyboard, "Scandinavian post modern". And the simple facts of the matter are, the keyboard was invented a long, long, time ago, and you could have gotten electronic equipment styled along those lines for the past 40 years at least, from "Bang & Olufsen".

So take a deep breath and explain to me, exactly to what "innovation" are you referring? :confused:
I'm not talking about the keyboard but the surface line of products

I've got your "Apple doesn't innovate any more", Take this:

Mac-Pro-Security-Lock-Adapter-image-001-340x500.jpeg

On second thought, maybe you're right...:D
form over function counts for nothing in the long run. The Joke un-upgradable mac pro, though a very clever design, has been deemed even by apple a mistake.

form over function counts for nothing in the long run. The Joke un-upgradable mac pro, though a very clever design, has been deemed even by apple a mistake.
You don't really have much in the way of a sense vof humor, do you? Or is it that you don't understand mine?

I take it you don't play well with other people, RUDE.
I take it you don't understand that you can edit a post, instead of serially adding on sentences, a post at a time.

And BTW, I researched "the Mac Trash Can", before I posted. So, to me all this is doing is stating the known and obvious:

And the mac Pro was upgradeable, you just had to do it at the time of purchase, at Apple's astronomical prices..

The keyboard look cool, I like the look of the metal finish but the mouse, it does look uncomfortable. The bigger concern I have is the pricing, I hope they don't overprice them like Apple, don't get me wrong, I'm an Apple user too but it's just really expensive.

The keyboard look cool, I like the look of the metal finish but the mouse, it does look uncomfortable. The bigger concern I have is the pricing, I hope they don't overprice them like Apple, don't get me wrong, I'm an Apple user too but it's just really expensive.
Well, if you read the article, it says $129,95 for the keyboard, an $50.00 for the mouse.

Beyond that, are you suggesting that M$ should charge less, because you're broke from buying Apple's garbage?

Wouldn't a 'modern' keyboard be ergonomic as well?

Their Sculpt keyboards are more modern IMO. Although an aluminum frame is always nice...

Back