Microsoft releases Office 2016, Skype for Business previews

Scorpus

Staff member

microsoft office skype business preview lync skype for business office 2016

Get ready for a new selection of preview software from Microsoft to test out: today the company launched both the Office 2016 IT Pro and Developer Preview, and the Skype for Business Preview.

After being in a private preview program for several months, Microsoft is now "ready to expand the (Office 2016 Preview) program to our commercial Office 365 customers, an important milestone that gives IT pros and developers an opportunity to start testing the upcoming release."

Some of the new features in Office 2016 include a refreshed, more colorful interface (seen above in a leaked version), improved search functionality, a wealth of technical and performance improvements to Outlook, expanded Data Loss Protection, and more. For business users, Microsoft hasn't made any changes to Add-ins or Macros, which should help with compatibility.

At this stage, the Office 2015 Preview doesn't come with the full selection of features that Microsoft expects to ship in the final version, although the company will continue to update the Preview monthly with new additions. Eager testers can join the Office 2016 Preview program here and download it today, ahead of the final version launching in the second half of this year.

microsoft office skype business preview lync skype for business office 2016

Alongside a preview of Office 2016, Microsoft is also launching the Skype for Business Preview. Replacing Microsoft Lync, Skype for Business features a familiar Skype interface and includes tight integration with Office for a cohesive productivity experience.

Anyone who is a current Lync customer can now download the Skype for Business Preview here through the TechNet Evaluation Center, with the final version set to roll out next month. The Skype for Business Preview is also included with the Office 2016 Preview, so if you want to test out both, you'll only need to download Office.

Permalink to story.

I still have Office 2013 which I haven't even bothered to install yet let alone use, 2010 I use on occasion so I won't be taking an interest in 2016 for a while yet.

I still have Office 2013 which I haven't even bothered to install yet let alone use, 2010 I use on occasion so I won't be taking an interest in 2016 for a while yet.

If you don't regularly use multiple MS Office programs, then you're not missing much with 2013. Even if you do, what you're getting here is a handful of extra content, a UI tweak, and more cloud nonsense than FF VII.

Microsoft can buy every person on the planet a steak meal, but it will always be someone that will complain. Their complaint is that something something M$, while getting spied on by Google or brutally raped by Apple.
/keeping it real here

Microsoft can buy every person on the planet a steak meal, but it will always be someone that will complain. Their complaint is that something something M$, while getting spied on by Google or brutally raped by Apple.
/keeping it real here

Yeah totally, "I'm a vegetarian, shove your steak dinner evil corporation!!"

I have to say I hate how MS heard from everyone and their dog that metro was bad and forced it on us anyway, but they do seem to be catching on now.

I have to say I hate how MS heard from everyone and their dog that metro was bad and forced it on us anyway, but they do seem to be catching on now.

I have to say, I hate all the rants about people that don't actually use software and they complain anyhow, specially when most of them use "free" copies.

Now as an office user, there is no alternative that could beat Microsoft solutions anytime soon, there is no spreadsheet software as powerful as excel, once you get the hang out of OneNote's great functions and shortcuts it's hard to compare, specially now that you have the whole mobility suite and integration with Android AND iOS, going a bit further with Sharepoint you can do some great and HUGE implementations...

But, for those who are using notepad, of course it won't hit you anytime soon.

Keep on hatin'!

Back