TechSpot

Microsoft releases patch for an extremely critical Windows vulnerability, download it now

1. Microsoft has issued a critical patch, dubbed MS14-066, via Windows Update that aims to fix a security vulnerability which could be as scary as the infamous Heartbleed bug that surfaced earlier this year. The flaw affects almost every modern version of...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

Since the biggest majority of us do not run servers, the patch for this vulnerability is irrelevant to the majority?

3. It mentions Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 not just server operating systems.

4. This page: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-066 States the following:
    What systems are primarily at risk from the vulnerability?
    Server and workstation systems that are running an affected version of Schannel are primarily at risk.

So you will want it as well

5. Kezhen Gao

Kezhen Gao TS Member Posts: 21   +15

True, those running IIS with web/ftp sites that runs over SSL will require this patch. I have already started to patch our company servers.

6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,550   +852

agreed. this article seems to blow this out of proportion, that or it doesnt describe the issue in a way that makes it seem relevant to me.

7. ssimonds

ssimonds TS Rookie

wow, please read the article before posting. I know its early but damn.

8. What about XP, will they be patching that?

9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

And what makes you think I didn't?

Can you explain the sentence I quoted, and tell me why this vulnerability would effect me as a Windows 7 user that does not utilize server software?

10. S_Brideau

S_Brideau TS Rookie Posts: 65

Since Win XP support has ended April 8th, I don't think they'll even think about fixing it for it except for companies paying a premium to have these patches.

11. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

It's clear, those using server instances of windows, wether they are in 7, 8 or whatever.

Since most of us don't use server services (lol) most of us are unnaffected by this. It's clear.

Good lord please read, they never mention windows XP, and to clear it even more they talk about "MODERN VERSIONS OF WINDOWS". XP is under no definition modern.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  12. I did read, and all the other articles about this say it's a 19 year old bug affecting everything since Windows 95, see PC World or anywhere else really.

13. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

This patch is now available via Windows Update (KB2992611) marked as "Important".

14. Since Microsoft stopped updating Windows XP in April they probably won't be putting out an update for it to unsupported users.

15. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,506   +498

Well if this is the case, I would be amazed if you had an XP machine as a server.

You mean since they cut support for xp they probably won't update it?? It's more like THEY WONT, there is no probably in the middle, that's the whole deal in stop support for a product.

16. Checked for update, no mention thereof.............??