Microsoft renames SkyDrive to OneDrive following trademark dispute

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has announced it is renaming its SkyDrive cloud service to OneDrive, after losing a trademark dispute with British Sky Broadcasting Group over the "Sky" name in July 2013.  The transition will happen in the coming weeks with no interruptions to the service whatsoever. But the company promises that this is more than just a cosmetic change, saying OneDrive is everything you love about SkyDrive and more.

Microsoft General Manager for Consumer Apps and Services Ryan Gavin announced the move in a blog post this morning. Though he admitted changing the name of a product isn’t easy, he also played it down making the case for the new name: “Why OneDrive? We know that increasingly you will have many devices in your life, but you really want only one place for your most important stuff. One place for all of your photos and videos. One place for all of your documents. One place that is seamlessly connected across all the devices you use.”

Current SkyDrive and SkyDrive Pro users will have all their content available on OneDrive and OneDrive for Business respectively as the new name is rolled out across the portfolio. Microsoft has set up a preview page for anyone who wants to be notified when OneDrive launches as well as a relocated OneDrive blog.

Microsoft had claimed it wasn’t easy to confuse its cloud-based SkyDrive services with BSkyB’s pay-TV, mobile and online services. Furthermore the ban only applied to the European Union. Nevertheless, after initially planning to appeal the court’s decision, the company backed down in exchange for a reasonable period of time to switch its branding over to something different and on a global scale to ensure consistency.

Permalink to story.

Wow really I had thought they did that change. So all current Skydrive apps and Windows 8 Smartphone, Windows 8.1 Tablet and Windows 8.1 Desktop/Laptop going to see a new upgrade to OneDrive. (MS must got the name from OneNote)

"OneDrive is everything you love about SkyDrive and more."
But I don't love SkyDrive
“Why OneDrive? We know that increasingly you will have many devices in your life, but you really want only one place for your most important stuff." Yes I do, and I have it, on MY computer.
To modify the infamous David Allen Coe song line, "they can take this cloud and shove it"

Sucks to see, OneDrive doesn't quite sound as well. But I can see the reason for the name. Xbox One, One Microsoft, One Exeperience for all on of your devices...Microsoft is really pushing this "One" idea.

Microsoft really needs to fix the sync issue, when I don't have acess to the script floating around that forces One/SkyDrive to sync, I some times have to wait 10+ minutes to see my data appear on another device. They also need to add some features to One/SkyDrive (streaming media for starters).

Microsoft really needs to fix the sync issue, when I don't have acess to the script floating around that forces One/SkyDrive to sync, I some times have to wait 10+ minutes to see my data appear on another device. They also need to add some features to One/SkyDrive (streaming media for starters).

In time, I don't see anything on there as of yet. Newer PCs I have had that feature installed. All the Windows 8 Smartphone and Windows 8.1 I've installed have it smack in your face when you have system ready after the installation. I am still using Box.com. I had stopped using dropbox. Box.com is easy the support is great. More for online business programmers like my self is what I use it for though. Store thing on there too. Or use iBrother WiFi Network Scanning of doc and photo. Still If OneDrive can do that and more would use it more.

Sucks to see, OneDrive doesn't quite sound as well. But I can see the reason for the name. Xbox One, One Microsoft, One Exeperience for all on of your devices...Microsoft is really pushing this "One" idea.

Exactly my thoughts. OneDrive doesn't sound exciting or anything, but it makes sense considering their direction and other products.

Boy I'd love it if they would let me stream my cloud files on my smartphone... come on Microsoft...

If they are going to start naming things ONE, they need to do it in full force. I want to See Windows ONE, XBOX ONE, ONEdrive, ONE Office, etc. Then at least we would have some consistency and stuff in all of this.

I think pretty much every cloud storage name sucks... Google Drive? iCould? OneDrive? Dropbox and SkyDrive were pretty much the only ones that sounded good. Oh well though, it's the quality of service that actually matters.

All cloud drives should be named as such:

iCloud - brought to you by the NSA
OneCloud - brought to you by the NSA

etc.etc.........

Back