TechSpot

Microsoft renames SkyDrive to OneDrive following trademark dispute

By Jos
Jan 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft has announced it is renaming its SkyDrive cloud service to OneDrive, after losing a trademark dispute with British Sky Broadcasting Group over the "Sky" name in July 2013.  The transition will happen in the coming weeks with no interruptions...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,684   +86

Wow really I had thought they did that change. So all current Skydrive apps and Windows 8 Smartphone, Windows 8.1 Tablet and Windows 8.1 Desktop/Laptop going to see a new upgrade to OneDrive. (MS must got the name from OneNote)

3. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Enthusiast Posts: 319   +83

"OneDrive is everything you love about SkyDrive and more."
    But I don't love SkyDrive
    “Why OneDrive? We know that increasingly you will have many devices in your life, but you really want only one place for your most important stuff." Yes I do, and I have it, on MY computer.
    To modify the infamous David Allen Coe song line, "they can take this cloud and shove it"

4. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +27

Sucks to see, OneDrive doesn't quite sound as well. But I can see the reason for the name. Xbox One, One Microsoft, One Exeperience for all on of your devices...Microsoft is really pushing this "One" idea.

treeski likes this.
  5. Teko03

Teko03 TS Enthusiast Posts: 124   +27

Microsoft really needs to fix the sync issue, when I don't have acess to the script floating around that forces One/SkyDrive to sync, I some times have to wait 10+ minutes to see my data appear on another device. They also need to add some features to One/SkyDrive (streaming media for starters).

6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,684   +86

In time, I don't see anything on there as of yet. Newer PCs I have had that feature installed. All the Windows 8 Smartphone and Windows 8.1 I've installed have it smack in your face when you have system ready after the installation. I am still using Box.com. I had stopped using dropbox. Box.com is easy the support is great. More for online business programmers like my self is what I use it for though. Store thing on there too. Or use iBrother WiFi Network Scanning of doc and photo. Still If OneDrive can do that and more would use it more.

7. VrsTech

VrsTech TS Rookie

They got it from Xbox One

8. VrsTech

VrsTech TS Rookie

Next up Windows ONe LOL

9. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 880   +130

Exactly my thoughts. OneDrive doesn't sound exciting or anything, but it makes sense considering their direction and other products.

10. Boy I'd love it if they would let me stream my cloud files on my smartphone... come on Microsoft...

11. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,262   +541

If they are going to start naming things ONE, they need to do it in full force. I want to See Windows ONE, XBOX ONE, ONEdrive, ONE Office, etc. Then at least we would have some consistency and stuff in all of this.

12. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

Well most of us already know, Win7 to Win8 was a step backward from the number one spot. Lets jump straight to where we want to be at Win1, no more MS games please.

13. One drive to rule them all...

dennis777 likes this.
  14. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,020   +912

Doesnt flow. I hate it.

15. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

I think pretty much every cloud storage name sucks... Google Drive? iCould? OneDrive? Dropbox and SkyDrive were pretty much the only ones that sounded good. Oh well though, it's the quality of service that actually matters.

16. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

The should have just called it the abyss. "MS Abyss"

17. All cloud drives should be named as such:

iCloud - brought to you by the NSA
    OneCloud - brought to you by the NSA

etc.etc.........

18. Codehackerzane

Codehackerzane TS Rookie

Whats in a name. lol j/k

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.