Microsoft reportedly considers bringing Android apps to Windows

1. One of the biggest challenges Microsoft faces today is the widening app deficit. The company's app stores, both on Windows and Windows Phone, are lacking popular titles. The situation can be gauged from the fact that it took three years...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,020   +683

Great idea! reminds of that expression though... A day late and a dollar short.

Why? Are there some awesome windows only apps out there that would be lost forever? No, there aren't. The only thing that would happen by Windows phones running Android apps that people would have one less reason NOT to buy a windows phone. Right now the app library is a big reason people leave Windows on the shelf. Getting rid of that reason would help the platform, not kill it.

Remember in the 80s when Apple didn't let anyone make computers that ran Apple's software? They wanted Macs to be pure and special.. and they were. they were also forgotten and doomed to the history of technology in the section of 'biggest mistakes ever'.
  3. treeski

treeski TechSpot Guru Posts: 867   +128

I think the argument is that it would further reduce any interest developers have in making native Windows Phone apps. Why bother making a WP app when an Android one already exists that will work?
    spectrenad likes this.
  4. Heihachi1337

Heihachi1337 Newcomer, in training Posts: 43   +11

Maybe Microsoft will learn from past mistakes this time under new leadership. It seems Steve Balmer was bent on destroying them with the bad publicity the Xbox One got initially before they did a 180 on it. That and Windows 8 being terrible.
    I use an Android phone for two reasons:
    1) I hate Apple and their entire user base
    2) Microsoft has ZERO apps for me that I find essential. I'm a gamer, I play certain online games and MS does not have apps for those games.

I find it interesting that there is no end to the games I can add to my library for my PC yet I can't get a friggin' app for a Microsoft Windows phone for popular games.
  5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,020   +683

Yeah I see... I thought they meant the entire Windows Phone OS. I think letting the apps die would be ok though. Although allowing android apps would mean people would want to use gmail/google drive etc, and not MS's services of Sky drive and hotmail.
  6. This would be great if they started to allow android apps... I 100% loved my Surface tab, but the App store was useless
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,773   +1,429

The new CEO must have a brain. (y) Can't say that I care, but I approve of the concept.

It is my understanding that there is no reason why an x86-64 OS can't run RISC applications.
  8. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,580   +76

But Android apps always in update mode. But those are Java base. Why can't MS get programmer to build Metro App what we have not most are nonsense. Free Android apps have more ads in there. Google block Adfree you can get it from Adfree web site.
  9. gamoniac

gamoniac TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 215   +46

Due to that reason, I think MS will not go this route -- the whole Win AppStore would be forsaken. The alternative would be to make a tool that facilitate the conversion of apps from Android to WP. If WebOS can do it, MS can probably do it too. I just don't know if it would be beneficial to the MS ecosystem. Maybe.
  10. kissx

kissx TechSpot Member Posts: 37

Microsoft is always a step behind. Remember Zune?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.