TechSpot

Microsoft reportedly implementing stronger encryption to combat NSA spying

By Justin Kahn
Nov 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is now beginning to heighten its internet traffic security measures based on concerns that the NSA may already be spying on its network, according to a report from the Washington Post. The Post says that high level Microsoft executives...

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,324   +711

"While there are some previously unreleased documents that mention Microsoft's Hotmail service, Windows Live Messenger and even Microsoft Passport, there has been no specific information pointing at Microsoft being an NSA target."

Microsoft was never a target because they *VOLUNTARILY* gave the NSA direct server access, at least briefly (and under protest according to some accounts). How could Techspot be unaware of this? The US now has semi-secret and totally unconstitutional laws giving the government carte blanche in terms of spying, warrentless search and seizure, arrest powers and *indefinite* detainment of anyone it chooses, for ANY reason. There are also secret courts where anyone who doesn't cooperate can be tried and convicted without meaningful counsel. Apparently no one bothered to read the last major defense bill - it essentially shredded the Bill of Rights.

3. "accused of secretly collecting data"

Interesting choice of words for what should be 'stealing'.

4. What a load of crap! They are all part of the problem. Microsoft, Google and the rest are good little corporate citizens now are they?

I've just had my 14 year old son come to me and tell me how he's going to ditch Xbox because they are wanting too much information and want control over everything!! Thanks MS, I've been trying to get him off it for years!

Even PS4 sounds like its a no go too. If his generation is saying this then looks like these corporations my just be shooting themselves in the foot! Your games being rumbled, literally!!

5. Chazz

Chazz TS Evangelist Posts: 671   +73

You know they all "voluntarily" gave up data right?

6. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,457   +606

Microsoft saying they are deploying stronger encryption is on par with monkey's throwing poo at cars driving by to warn them of speeding.

7. I believe all this, reeeeallyyy.

8. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,682   +86

Indeed, and it is same for Google & Yahoo and the rest.

9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,559   +2,900

At least they are calling it rain, when they piss on you now.

mosu and bielius like this.
  10. bielius

bielius TS Booster Posts: 211   +14

Don't expect warning signs when the hurricanes come bearing **** inside.

/shitstorm

cliffordcooley likes this.
  11. Holotus

Holotus TS Enthusiast Posts: 68   +9

Mega corporations might as well be government agencies designed to collect and control our lives from the very technology we're highly dependent on.

12. "Microsoft reportedly implementing stronger encryption to combat NSA spying"
    right.

13. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 317   +41

I thought Microsoft were openly helping the NSA spy on its customers.