Microsoft reportedly narrows down the list of CEO candidates to five

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft ceo report microsoft ceo

Microsoft is in the process of narrowing down potential candidates to fill the soon-to-be vacant role of CEO when Steve Ballmer steps down. That list, which initially stood at 40, currently contains about five names including some we’ve heard before like Ford chief Alan Mulally and ex-Nokia CEO Stephen Elop according to a report from Reuters.

As we’ve outlined in the past, Mulally has served as the CEO of Ford since 2006 and recently advised Ballmer on Microsoft’s corporate reorganization plans that went into effect this past summer. Elop, meanwhile, was the head of Microsoft’s business division through 2010 when he took over as CEO of Nokia. If you recall, Microsoft revealed plans to purchase Nokia’s handset business a few months ago which prompted Elop to take a lesser role as executive vice president of devices and services.

Microsoft is also said to be considering at least three people from within the company for the position including head of the Cloud and Enterprise group Satya Nadella and former Skype chief Tony Bates. The identity of the third party went unreported.

Ballmer announced intentions to retire within a year this past August although he isn’t planning to do so until a successor is named. How long that might take, however, is unclear. Today’s report mentioned it could take a few more months before Microsoft makes the pick. Previous reports, however, suggested Redmond wanted to wrap the search up before the end of the year.

Permalink to story.

How aoubt you don't try to force feed us a metro UI.

1. Come out with a desktop version of windows 8.1 with not metro UI and no and a fully functionall start button.
Or for the future come out with windows 2015 catering to desktop users.

2. Don't come out with a freaking tabblet that's 700 dollars. That arm table BS does not count. I want a tablet pro for a minimum of 399 dollars with a better version of metro ui.

3. Keep up the good work with microsoft office.

4. Don't be evil with the xbox console.

5. Make your nitche in the mobile OS businness. Not to restrictive like ios and not to open liek android. And make it native c/c++ not that Java BS android uses.

6. Spend money on stores like apple. My g/f and mom, dad are not computer savy. They beneffit from stores like apple they can go and have so one to talk to.

Do this and you will rock.

Really don't need to run MS Office you got Kingsoft Office Free does a great job plus non-impact on the system. I've ditch all MS Office for Kingsoft Office Free.

Microsoft got to big and was the king of the hill but now they're not the king. Android and Apple are trying to be the king. Microsoft fallen down the hill. Windows 8 or 8.1 needs to be remove put back Windows 7 and wait a couple of years for Windows 10 128-bit OS and wait for hardware to play catch-up for such OS.

Keep building new tablets but have some low cost ones so everyone can have one. Otherwise Android will steal the tablet share. Apple sticking around no matter what. Those that don't fuss with they computer gear will tend to go for Apple. The rest of us will sort it out some how.

Smart Desktop PC will be all touch Screen and all-in-one with a female or male or even kid voices and your system will talk back to you telling you there is another Service Pack for your current Windows again. It will tell what's new this time. System will tell you when your hardware is failing also. It will keep your system running at peak performance. It will tell you when you must clear out the dust off the CPU, GPU, PSU fans.

These would sell more than what out there today. More of the same old tech. Make these system sleek looking just like new car dealers do with their new SUV crops. To compete in the years to come you have to think out of the box with the intent to make your customers happy otherwise they'll leave your Windows Nest for good!

I don't see my name on the list, it must be an oversight. Oh well when they offer me the position I'll politely decline it because of this simple oversight... and because of Win 8 for the desktop.

Back