Microsoft says no new version coming after Windows 10, only incremental updates

Jos

Staff

Over the past year Microsoft has already talked about how it’s moving away from big releases for Windows in favor of smaller incremental updates that continually evolve the operating system. And with Windows 10 around the corner, the company is going as far as calling it the last version of Windows. “Right now we’re releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we’re all still working on Windows 10,” said Jerry Nixon, a developer evangelist speaking at Microsoft’s Ignite conference this week.

Nixon was explaining how when releasing Windows 8.1 last year, Microsoft was already working on Windows 10 in the background. Such has usually been the case with all major launches. But now it’s all about Windows 10, which not only helps with focus, it also means employees can talk freely about future updates to Windows because there's no secret new version in the works.

"We aren’t speaking to future branding at this time, but customers can be confident Windows 10 will remain up-to-date and power a variety of devices from PCs to phones to Surface Hub to HoloLens and Xbox. We look forward to a long future of Windows innovations,” Microsoft added in a separate statement.

The change is reminiscent of how Apple handles its own operating system updates, retaining the OS X name for well over a decade now and delivering point releases to introduce new features and UI changes. These major updates used to be spaced out some 18 - 24 months apart up to 10.7 “Lion” and since 2012 Apple moved to a yearly release cycle similar to iOS.

Microsoft hasn’t gone as far as to discuss a schedule for major updates yet.

As far as security updates are concerned, the company recently announced that it would end its monthly security update release cycle, known as Patch Tuesday, and instead will deliver bug fixes as soon as they are ready.

Permalink to story.

Music to my ears! I still don't want to move forward away from Windows 7. But I will seeing as Windows 10 is a free update, and going to stick around for a longer time span.

This changing OS version every 2 years is for the dogs, or whatever else has a short lifespan.
As far as security updates are concerned, the company recently announced that it would <a href="https://www.techspot.com/news/60570-microsoft-slams-google-lack-android-security-patches.html">end its monthly security update</a> release cycle, known as Patch Tuesday, and instead will deliver bug fixes as soon as they are ready.
In other words IT can setup their own update schedule, when ever they see fit, not when MS dictates the world should update.

Now if I can turn off automatic updating. I'll kill the background process if I have to, to keep my machine from nagging to reboot. Or worse yet rebooting automatically, as well as updating. So far I've not seen the ability to turn automatic updating off.

Strange. What will happen after several years of updated when you have to reinstall the system from scratch? You will need week or two to update before use? Insane!!!

Strange. What will happen after several years of updated when you have to reinstall the system from scratch? You will need week or two to update before use? Insane!!!
Or they can still make service patches available that will roll up all updates at once. I mean they have years of Windows 7 updates now and it doesn't take forever if you already have SP1 installed, it does take a while but not a week or two.

Music to my ears! I still don't want to move forward away from Windows 7. But I will seeing as Windows 10 is a free update, and going to stick around for a longer time span.

This changing OS version every 2 years is for the dogs, or whatever else has a short lifespan.
As far as security updates are concerned, the company recently announced that it would <a href="https://www.techspot.com/news/60570-microsoft-slams-google-lack-android-security-patches.html">end its monthly security update</a> release cycle, known as Patch Tuesday, and instead will deliver bug fixes as soon as they are ready.
In other words IT can setup their own update schedule, when ever they see fit, not when MS dictates the world should update.

Now if I can turn off automatic updating. I'll kill the background process if I have to, to keep my machine from nagging to reboot. Or worse yet rebooting automatically, as well as updating. So far I've not seen the ability to turn automatic updating off.
So you're on 7. OK. Click on the start menu, in the search box on the menu that appears, type the following:
"Automatic updates" - without the quotes. Now click "Turn automatic updates on or off"
If the computer you are doing this on is a member of a domain at work and you do not have administrator privileges, then you might not be able to turn off automatic updates. However, if you have admin rights, then you should have no problem doing this. It is also available in 8.1.

Cheers!

So you're on 7. OK. Click on the start menu, in the search box on the menu that appears, type the following:
I do have automatic updates turned off on Windows 7. I have another machine with Windows 10 installed, where I can't turn automatic updates off. I was meaning after upgrading to Windows 10, being able to continue without automatic updates. Sorry for the confusion.

Along with what Camikazi said I think we will probably be able to just download the very latest version when you need to reinstall so it shouldn't be a big issue.

You can turn off automatic updates in windows 10. Go to services, disable windows update, then go to task scheduler and there disable everything about windows update.

You can turn off automatic updates in windows 10. Go to services, disable windows update, then go to task scheduler and there disable everything about windows update.
That's what I meant by killing the background process. Editing services is not something I want to do but since MS doesn't want us to have choices I'll have to start.

I do have automatic updates turned off on Windows 7. I have another machine with Windows 10 installed, where I can't turn automatic updates off. I was meaning after upgrading to Windows 10, being able to continue without automatic updates. Sorry for the confusion.
If remember right windows 8 prereleases were like that, they want to be able to deploy the newest builds to everyone so we can test it and have our crashes and bugs to have the info sent back. Hence why they claim it's not a suitable replacement OS for your main computer when they release them. If it remains the same way after full launch then I might have a bone to pick, but I really don't find auto updates too obtrusive in windows 8/8.1 but I know some do.

I like this system have always liked it in linux and was the only feature of OS X I thought was better then windows. The irony being they chose windows 10 to do this on just like OS X(10) for apple lol.

Many common members of the rodentia family live about 2 years.

Digitalis lives almost two years to the day, (It's a "biennial"). It is tough to work, "it's for the foxglove", into your schtick though.

Anyway M$ is giving away its OS to tablet OEMs (free or dirt cheap, not sure?). And M$ Office is showing up free as well, here and there.

If they're claiming Windows desktop ISN'T going to go subscription, it does give one pause to wonder what they're going to have left to make their money on...Prima facia, it sounds like they're going to turn Windows 10, into another XP forever thing. They wouldn't let that happen again, would they?

In any event, if they were to start charging for service packs, it would almost be a direct rip of the Apple way of doing things. "We just changed the cat name, that will be forty bucks please....I've often wondered what Apple will do when they run out of ferocious cat names. Face it, monikers like Serval, Caracal, Marguay, and fishing cat aren't exactly household names. I hope they'll get all the way to, "Otocolobus Manul", (Palla's Cat), before they give up and call their next version, "OS 11".

Last edited:
And if down the road your machine crashes and you need to reinstall, how will MS handle that? Is that where the charges come in?

As many others, I wonder how are they going to charge you for Windows when you build your own PC and what will happen when you have to reinstall Windows...

As many others, I wonder how are they going to charge you for Windows when you build your own PC and what will happen when you have to reinstall Windows...
A Windows license will not be free for a new machine. Even after the first year upgrade license will no longer be free for upgrading Windows 7 or Windows 8. So our best bet is to upgrade for free (if we currently have Windows 7 or 8) during the first year or be charged for Windows 10 after the first year.

Kind of a nobrainer, unless you are the type that just loves burning money for something that was once free.

As for the question about re-installation, you should know your license key before wiping the current system. That key will be needed for re-activation of the new installation.

That's what I meant by killing the background process. Editing services is not something I want to do but since MS doesn't want us to have choices I'll have to start.
as far as I know only the preview will have automatic updates on 24/7 (although you can delay the updates for quite a long time). you should be able to configure windows 10 how you want in the final version, otherwise admins for businesses would have big problems.

And if down the road your machine crashes and you need to reinstall, how will MS handle that? Is that where the charges come in?
you can install windows on at least 3 PCs with a single key as long as you don't use it simultaneously and you prove that the key is yours. (at least that's how it's been until now - I don't know if they changed the policy)

Microsoft account would be the first thing that comes to mind, it's already how MS manages your office keys and windows keys you buy through them digitally.

This makes sense from a marketing view and won't change their business model. As it is, Microsoft continually has a super secret new OS in development and everybody holding their breath hoping it won't suck. And worse, a lot of people holding out on not upgrading until other users are satisfied. After a few years they will simply drop the 10 and call it Windows.

I like the OS X system of incremental updates yearly... hey, maybe it may also work for MS. Only time will tell. What I would hate though is if Windows becomes a paid service like 365.

Back