Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 isn't overheating but a fix is coming soon

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft surface overheating fix microsoft surface surface pro 3

A number of Surface Pro 3 owners have taken to Microsoft's support forum in recent weeks in search of answers as to why their devices are seemingly overheating. The issue appears to only be affecting higher-end slates equipped with Intel's Core i7 processor but according to Microsoft, there really isn't a problem - but they're working on a solution anyway.

In a statement sent to Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows, Microsoft noted that the i7 version of the Surface Pro 3 is a first-of-its-kind tablet delivering i7 processing power in a thin and light package. As such, this increased power calls for the system's cooling fan to spin more regularly and at higher speeds - and for the unit to run "slightly warmer."

Having said that, Microsoft added that the Surface Team is aware of a very small number of Surface Pro 3 Intel Core i7 devices that are temporarily restarting and incorrectly showing a thermometer gauge icon while attempting to reboot.

Their investigation revealed that the system is triggering this event sooner than it should for some. Microsoft concluded that they have an update in the works that will be ready as soon as possible.

Microsoft unveiled the Surface Pro 3 back in May at an event where most expected to see quite the opposite - a Surface Mini. That oft-rumored device was real but it has now been shelved by Microsoft.

Permalink to story.

You're using it wrong guys! That's all that's wrong, we're done looking for solutions. No need for fixes here, we found the problem. </sarcasm>

It's typical of MS's mentality, If it ain't broke, fix it - or - If it is broke (like Win 8) don't fix it.
This could very easily be a software bug. If it is a bug, then nothing is "broken". They will release a "fix" in the form of a patch. Since this advanced level techno lingo is too much for most people we have to dumb it down so the consumers understand(sort of) what's going on. This, however, leaves a very wide opening for trolls of all sorts to partake in bashing.

If it's not overheating, then what is there to 'fix?'
How about you read the article instead of just reading the headline? It might keep you from making pointless questions in the comments.

Must be like the OnePlus One...the screen isn't yellow at the bottom, the screen is "warm"

yRaz said:
could you please post you detailed info so we could suit you for discrimination by name?
btw name yRaz is not better than Guest so all your comments are invalid

"Overheating" is normal operating temperature for Surface 3, so no problems with it.

Back