Microsoft schedules Windows 10 hardware event for October 6, here's what to expect

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft has sent out media invites for an event it’s hosting on October 6 in New York City where it’ll share news regarding devices running Windows 10. The Redmond-based company didn’t let on as to what exactly it has in store although the rumor mill suggests the event will be loaded with new hardware across multiple product categories.

Many expect to see the unveiling of at least one – and perhaps two – new Surface tablets. This seems quite likely considering the Surface Pro 3 arrived more than a year ago. Look for Intel’s new Skylake family to power the Surface Pro 4 as it prepares to do battle with Apple’s upcoming iPad Pro in the enterprise sector.

Microsoft has struggled to find footing in the cutthroat wireless industry but it isn’t giving up as two Lumia smartphones are expected to break cover early next month. Codenamed Cityman and Talkman, the phones are said to be of the flagship nature with QHD displays, hexa- and octa-core processors, 3GB of RAM and more.

Something else we might see come October 6 is an update to the Microsoft Band, the company’s first wearable of the modern era.

Sources claim Microsoft may have a few surprises up its sleeve as well such as a slim version of its Xbox One. There’s even been chatter that a Surface Mini could make its long-awaited debut but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

The event, hosted at the Skylight at Moynihan Station, gets under way sharply at 10 a.m. EDT. We’re also told Microsoft will stream the event live over the web for those that can’t make it or aren’t credentialed.

What are you looking forward to most from the event? Let us know in the comments section below!

Lead image via Ron Wurzer, Associated Press

Permalink to story.

Too little too late. Moving to the Nexus 5x at the end of the month. I really wanted to believe in Windows Phone, but it has just been stagnant for too long.

Too little too late. Moving to the Nexus 5x at the end of the month. I really wanted to believe in Windows Phone, but it has just been stagnant for too long.
So rather than, wait and see what goods they got, you want to jump off at the very last minute? Also, by stagnant too long, do you mean they aren't updating their flagship phones every 4 minutes like Samesung and that fruit phone?
To be honest, the Lumia 920 I have works pretty well as a daily runner despite being a mere 2 years old, and I'm not in the least bit hurried to replace it. I really don't understand this insatiable urge people have to upgrade at any cost when the phone they have is perfectly able, the only people that are really happy about that are the manufacturers who will gladly take your money, in fact they encourage it. When Microsoft finally releases a new phone in the next month or two for Windows 10 mobile it should live up to the hype, as I have been running the preview version on my 920. Its starting to look and feel pretty polished, so its your loss if you don't want to wait just a little longer and see for yourself. If its good enough, and I feel like it, I'll get one, if not, well the 920 is still a decent phone.

I too will probably get a new nexus 5 but rooted is essential to me so I can transfer goggle authenticator without any faff using tit Bup

I lost interest in Windows 10 Mobile/Phone when I learned it would indeed not have full desktop mode capability or be able to run standard x86 software. Yes I know it is a phone OS but M$ said "one OS, one platform". Lies.... I'm an advanced power user and fairly often need full desktop OS capabilities on the go. Right now I travel with a phone and a Surface Pro 3. I'd like to just travel with my phone and be able to use it like a PC every once in awhile. Sure it isn't ideal on a 5" screen but the hardware is capable so why the hell not?

So rather than, wait and see what goods they got, you want to jump off at the very last minute? Also, by stagnant too long, do you mean they aren't updating their flagship phones every 4 minutes like Samesung and that fruit phone?
To be honest, the Lumia 920 I have works pretty well as a daily runner despite being a mere 2 years old, and I'm not in the least bit hurried to replace it. I really don't understand this insatiable urge people have to upgrade at any cost when the phone they have is perfectly able, the only people that are really happy about that are the manufacturers who will gladly take your money, in fact they encourage it. When Microsoft finally releases a new phone in the next month or two for Windows 10 mobile it should live up to the hype, as I have been running the preview version on my 920. Its starting to look and feel pretty polished, so its your loss if you don't want to wait just a little longer and see for yourself. If its good enough, and I feel like it, I'll get one, if not, well the 920 is still a decent phone.

I'm using an S3 ATM (after dropping my m7 in the river) and it's almost usable but I well due for a new phone with a bit more pop.

My Microsoft windows phone is my best friend I have a Lumia 900 that is three years old. It is like a Timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking. It is too heavy but I would not trade it for an IPhone or an Android. I am waiting for the next Windows Phone and will purchase one of these new Lumia's with Windows 10. I want to extend a hardy Windows Rule!!! Patience is important in all that you do.

Oxymoron: Windows 10 vs Hardware event - - one IS hardware and the other IS clearly software. No wonder Surface never established a beach head; it's just schizophrenic (ie doesn't understand reality) :giggle:

Oxymoron: Windows 10 vs Hardware event - - one IS hardware and the other IS clearly software. No wonder Surface never established a beach head; it's just schizophrenic (ie doesn't understand reality) :giggle:
$713 million from Surface sales first quarter, is hardly nothing. Some people want a real computer experience instead of IOS limited experience. When Microsoft make hardware it's usually very good.

Back