Microsoft showcases Cortana personal assistant for Windows Phone during Build conference

By Shawn Knight
Apr 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft on Tuesday unveiled Cortana, the company's own personal assistant for Windows Phone that's powered by Bing. As we learned early last month, the service is named after the artificial intelligence character from the Halo franchise which should be familiar...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Who does that guy remind you/me off? Also Cortana... to be honest these "Personal Assistants" are pretty useless unless you can go "Cortana pause music"(for when your on spotify) or "Cortana Deny all calls until I say so"(Say when your writing a text or something so you can multitask without loosing any time)

If a "Personal Assistant" can do as I have just said say whilst I am doing another thing so I dont need cortana open to talk to it then I can say it is perfect but until then its absolutely useless.
  3. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 954   +193

Yes and no. I agree it has limited use as a voice assistant unless it can be always listening (like the Kinect). But the idea of Cortana (akin to Google Now, I think) is to be an assistant in many aspects of the phone, like noticing flight information and letting you know about updates without you having to do anything at all. This is where these kinds of assistants can be useful.
  4. wastedkill

So like when you get a new text message?
  5. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +592

"Cortana, send me a warthog"
    spectrenad, Sniped_Ash and treeski like this.
  6. wastedkill

"Cortana, get me the location of the nearest prostitute"
    "Cortana, find me a girlfriend"
  7. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 344   +101

It's an assistant, but it can't help in any flaws you have. :p
  8. wastedkill

Thats what you think ;) ... Also who said assistants cant you know help you in some areas like stress relieving or kidnapping your next door neighbour.
  9. drjekel_mrhyde

drjekel_mrhyde TS Rookie Posts: 101   +7

I think you'll be getting the same search results as Siri since both are powered by Bing
  10. wastedkill

Really are you sure? and maybe Cortana will appear as a sexy nude blue girl with matrix flowing down her haha
  11. Echo to 4 19, there's a covenant banshee approaching from your 6
  12. kuroiei

kuroiei TS Enthusiast Posts: 93   +31

Siri, Cortana. Well. Maybe a name I can say out loud not sounding like I'm trying to use voodoo or saying random geographical locations next time?