Microsoft showcases 'Windows in the Car' concept to rival CarPlay

By Shawn Knight
Apr 7, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is no stranger when it comes to in-car entertainment. A number of companies including BMW, Fiat, Ford, Kia and Nissan have all used modified versions of Windows to power their entertainment systems in the past. But Microsoft has also...

Read more
  2. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

Looks cool but I seriously hope the consumer can choose which OS to have in the car as if its just a bunch of cars are gonna have 1 OS only then the car business will become useless and hackers will hopefully mod this or a good company will allow you to choose.

It would seriously suck not being able to choose specially if you want a car and it has windows and you want androids or ios then you will not only loose out on some features you might want or need but it would mean having to learn a new OS yet again....
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I agree. But if you think about it, the fact that big companies like MS and Apple are invading the car space could drive small in-car infotainment/entertainment system creators/developers out of business. The little details put into car infotainment systems are very crucial and these big company OSes could ruin that.
    wastedkill likes this.
  4. Asok Asus

Asok Asus TS Rookie

Great. Now instead of getting so angry I want to throw my POS Windows 8 PC out the window because repeatedly swiping corners and sides only randomly works sometimes to make hidden magic menus appear, now I'll be so pissed off I'll just want to smash my whole car into the nearest telephone pole.

For god's sake car makers, DON'T PUT WINDOWS 8 on ANYTHING in a car! If you do, you'll have invented a whole new category of road rage!
  5. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

My car RROD again.
    My car BSOD again.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

So if I'm no longer happy with the OS my cars running, must I flog it and buy another car? No problem. And when the OS gets upgraded do I punch in my credit card number and download the new one while steaming along at 100 mph? Again no problem especially if the 'new and improved' Windows 37 costs more than what my car is worth.
    I don't want to read emails and chat on FB & Twitter while I'm busy driving, the roads are bad enough as it is without having more distractions.
  7. GhostRyder

GhostRyder You know, that one guy with the PC Posts: 2,189   +589

My car already has Windows in it because its a Ford. I have Microsoft Sync system which is essentially built on the windows interface.

I don't think having multiple OS's for cars should matter though just because its a car lawlz.