Microsoft showers Build devs with gifts: Surface RT, Lumia 920, etc.

By Shawn Knight
Oct 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft, like other large companies, has a reputation of handing out some pretty awesome swag to conference-goers. Last year Redmond kicked off its Build conference by handing out tablets running Windows 8 to developers and members of the press.

Read more
  2. likedamaster

likedamaster Newcomer, in training Posts: 77   +12

Disgusting... the amount of so called "journalists" accepting these freebies. Part of the industry I guess, but still. How can you give a subjective view of the product if you're compromised?
  3. SantistaUSA

SantistaUSA Newcomer, in training Posts: 44

Why disgusting? They are not required to write anything good or bad about it, all companies do that, they want the publicity, wants people talking about it and getting to know the product. I've been working retail for over 10 years, I get special deals from Intel (Intel Retail Edge), got an i7 960 back in november of 2010 for $100, mainly for doing their training and learning about their products. It's great marketing and I'm not required to make this up or say good things about them! :)
  4. "Disgusting... the amount of so called "journalists" accepting these freebies. Part of the industry I guess, but still. How can you give a subjective view of the product if you're compromised?"

that's what we call 'marketing strategy', and like SantistaUSA's said, they (the industry) only want the publicity about their product being well-known to the public
  5. Actually press and analysts did not get a device as far as I know.
  6. I think you mean Oprah, not Opera.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.