Microsoft shows HP Slate tablet during CES keynote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has pulled back the curtain on an HP-crafted tablet computer during its CES 2010 keynote. The HP Slate, as shown by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, looks to offer a portable computing package that is oddly nestled between the functionality of a smartphone and netbook.

The Slate will run Windows 7, and reportedly sports a multitouch display, an accelerometer, and speculation suggests that it's powered by an x86-based processor. The prototype shown during Microsoft's keynote was running the PC Kindle app, hinting that the Slate may try to take a bite out of the e-reader market -- much like Apple's "rumored" tablet is expected to.

Apart from press shots and a brief teaser video (which you can watch after the jump), very few details are available, except that it's due sometime later this year.

Permalink to story.

i don't want it to suck but i can't help feeling like it's going to suck.

For these ultra-portable 'slates' that can be used for media viewing, and as an ebook reader, the x86 processor platform is completely unsuitable.

People are going to use these things to read ebooks in bed. Do you want a computer mouse? No. Do you want a keyboard? No. Do you want power cables? No.

To be successful, it MUST run on an energy efficient processor, like the ARM family, and it must be multi-touch. That makes Microsoft's offerings useless.

See how this stacks up against the new Android SmartSlates coming to market, running on ARM, and getting 10-12 hours of battery usage on each charge. Now, if they also add a Pixel Qi screen to these devices, they could be getting days of battery usage.

Huh? What do mouse, keyboard and power cables have to do with the CPU? And how is multi-touch a limitation when Windows 7 supports it? Atom based notebooks are already in the 10 hour range, and when coupled with a Pixel Qi display will last even longer. So basically, you don't mention any real reason to prefer ARM.

While I could think of some minor benefits of ARM, I see a lot more downsides. In terms of flexibility I'd definitely prefer an x86 based device.

It makes me laugh to no end when they are proud to show the same gestures Apple commercialized on the iphone in summer of 2007.

They don't get that they are copy cats!!!!

how is it diffrent from my tablet pc which i have had for 5 years already? methinks they keep regurgitating the same things every few years and calling it something else.

they are trying to get a head start on apples pending announcement. It will be interesting to see what "innovations" apple brings to the table if any.

Can anyone say "giant iPhone"? Come on. Let's get an original idea.

EVERY company copies from each other and screws each other over by patent lawsuits

I pressume that HP Slate is the same as the Apple's iPad. I knew from one of the articles here that iPad lacks Flash. Well I hope the HP Slate has that feature since flash has always been needed in most applications not only on the web but also in offline activities. It would be an advantage if HP Slate enables Flash. :>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back