Microsoft slams Google for lack of Android security patches

Scorpus

Staff member

microsoft google android patch security patch

Speaking at Microsoft's Ignite conference in Chicago, Terry Myerson, Executive Vice President of Operating Systems, has slammed Google for their unacceptable Android update policy, claiming it leaves users exposed and insecure.

Myerson said that "Google ships a big pile of… code, with no commitment to update your device." He elaborated, saying that "Google takes no responsibility to update customer devices and refuses to take responsibility to update their devices, leaving end users and businesses increasingly exposed every day they use an Android device."

Microsoft has always maintained that frequent updates are the best way to keep a user safe and secure, which is why they release a collection of patches for Windows every month through 'Patch Tuesday'. But even that isn't frequent enough to keep users secure, which is why Windows 10 will move to a different patch distribution model.

Like with preview builds of Windows 10, users will be able to choose how frequently they receive patches by selecting either the fast or slow distribution rings. The slow ring is designed for those who like their build to be as stable as possible, while the fast ring will deliver the latest features the soonest, even if it might introduce minor bugs.

However Microsoft didn't reveal how they will update Windows 10 for phones, which might end up running into the same problems that Android has. With Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft could only update devices after updates had been approved by carriers, which is a slow process that frustrates those that want the latest features as soon as possible.

The company did introduce a developer preview program that would bypass carriers and deliver updates as they are released, but the opt-in program isn't really designed for everyday users. To one-up Android and deliver Windows 10 updates to all smartphones as they're released, Microsoft will have to pull some Apple-like magic  

Permalink to story.

Google does patch, and often. I'm using CM12.1 (Android 5.1) so I have the latest patches, which were just released barely a month ago. It's the 3rd parties that are to blame.

Google does patch, and often. I'm using CM12.1 (Android 5.1) so I have the latest patches, which were just released barely a month ago. It's the 3rd parties that are to blame.

I think the point is that Google should have taken control from the get go, and not allowed 3rd parties the choice of whether or not to push out security patches.

Microsoft doesn't really need to be wasting energy "slamming" anybody after releasing Windows 8. Seriously. . :)
Having easily fixable cosmetic issues is a completely different problem from having gaping security holes on the worlds most used mobile operating systems. Certainly this is a bit odd of Microsoft to just come out and say, but you're a little out of touch if you think W8's lack of a start menu justifies androids slow security release cycle.

Having easily fixable cosmetic issues is a completely different problem from having gaping security holes on the worlds most used mobile operating systems. Certainly this is a bit odd of Microsoft to just come out and say, but you're a little out of touch if you think W8's lack of a start menu justifies androids slow security release cycle.

Your a little out of touch if you think half of the world rejected Windows 8 because of the lack of a start menu. So were both out there in never never land. Nice to meet you!

Your a little out of touch if you think half of the world rejected Windows 8 because of the lack of a start menu. So were both out there in never never land. Nice to meet you!
I don't think half the world rejected windows 8 because of the start menu. I think the comments section rejected windows 8 because of the start menu

I didn't reject Windows 8 because of the Start Menu. I rejected Windows 8 because of the Start Screen. The Start Screen could have been made to look better and wouldn't have bothered me at all about the loss of the Start Menu. But then that was only a portion of my complaint.

Lets just say over the years that was the final straw. Windows 8 finally became an OS of which I wanted no part of, regardless of the enhancements everyone keeps talking about.

Everyone has different desires, they can not be molded in one OS design. Unless the OS can be customized to their liking. And continually taking features or effects away, MS is making a statement they don't want consumers to have options. It is statements like this, I was revolting against MS for Windows 8. And to be clear, I think this is the very reason everyone else shunned Windows 8.

People shun Windows 8 because it was a failed experiment in a universal touchscreen interface. Certainly it felt forced, but at no time were windows 7 users at any disadvantage or forced to switch and any problems people had with windows 8 could easily be fixed for free with third party programs. Windows 10 is just around the corner and seems to have fixed all of the problems people had with Windows 8.

People already install their own browsers, media players and other software over Microsoft's, what's the big deal about installing your own start screen?

Certainly it felt forced, but at no time were windows 7 users at any disadvantage or forced to switch
I hope you are not still telling that story to Windows XP users.

And yes we (Windows 7 users) are feeling a bit of pressure now. DX12, Edge, and it's only a matter of time before updates stop. Stop making a statement that people don't feel the need to wear warm clothing, because "Winter is Coming!".

And no Windows 10 did not fix all the issues we had with Windows 8. How many times are you going to make that false claim!

I hope you are not still telling that story to Windows XP users.

And yes we (Windows 7 users) are feeling a bit of pressure now. DX12, Edge, and it's only a matter of time before updates stop. Stop making a statement that people don't feel the need to wear warm clothing, because "Winter is Coming!".

And no Windows 10 did not fix all the issues we had with Windows 8. How many times are you going to make that false claim!
I'm going to keep making that claim because windows 10 fixed all the issues I had with windows 8. As far as DX12 and edge are concerned, I'm probably not going to use either. They fixed all the major UI and usability issues and now it's basically down to cosmetic issues. Those cosmetic issues being "not windows 7".

I've been using windows 7 since beta and I'm just getting bored with it. I also don't get why people are saying windows 7 is the best windows. Aside from the UI, windows 8 and 8.1 are the better operating systems. They are more stable, secure and optimized.

What exactly is it you hate about windows 10?

I'm going to keep making that claim because windows 10 fixed all the issues I had with windows 8.
That is better. At least now we know it is a personal stand point. Not a statement that satisfied all.

What exactly is it you hate about windows 10?
Lets just say my issues with Windows 8 was not fully remedied. But I will admit Windows 10 is better and I'll manage to ignore those issues for the most part.

Microsoft doesn't really need to be wasting energy "slamming" anybody after releasing Windows 8. Seriously. . :)

Nawh... My computer have been hacked.. By a 13 year old boy. So, really, windows shouldn't talk. I can get in to the roots of windows, change everything in there if I wanted to. Great security. I can get viruses, trojan horses etc, Great Security. I've had adware, awesome security! Do you know what adware can do?

It's able to collect data and send it somewhere, where you live, your IP etc.
Did you also know that adware is hardly trackable within the system? meaning that you mostly need to clean install it? It can also render your PC useless. taking everything over.

Did you know you can even get viruses by just using interwebs? not downloading a program whatsoever?
Did you know a program can have an thingy that sends your information to who ever the person that made it. And installing a backdoor just incase,

Microsoft is stupid for saying they're fully protect you, and you're naïve to believer that.
If the military isn't fully safe to hackers.

What makes you think microsoft can?

Nawh... My computer have been hacked.. By a 13 year old boy. So, really, windows shouldn't talk. I can get in to the roots of windows, change everything in there if I wanted to. Great security. I can get viruses, trojan horses etc, Great Security. I've had adware, awesome security! Do you know what adware can do?

Did you also know that adware is hardly trackable within the system? meaning that you mostly need to clean install it? It can also render your PC useless. taking everything over.

Did you know you can even get viruses by just using interwebs? not downloading a program whatsoever?
Did you know a program can have an thingy that sends your information to who ever the person that made it. And installing a backdoor just incase,

Microsoft is stupid for saying they're fully protect you, and you're naïve to believer that.

I don't understand, is this a troll post?

Google DOES NOT UPDATE. You are just flashing the firmware yourself using Custom Roms made by others who are not Google. The only way to even upgrade Android now, is to throw away your phone and buy a new one, or pray that your phone gets an Android OS update from your phones manufacturer.

Odd of them to say indeed considering all Android devices get patched frequently through google play services,I suspect Microsoft is butthurt it has to figure out its own way to make Android Apps run while remaining secure on its own easily exploitable system.

That is better. At least now we know it is a personal stand point. Not a statement that satisfied all.

Lets just say my issues with Windows 8 was not fully remedied. But I will admit Windows 10 is better and I'll manage to ignore those issues for the most part.

I am liking Windows 10 more than Windows 8 because Microsoft has finally realized that they cannot ignore millions of unhappy consumers. However, I honestly still haven't invested enough time in exploring the latest and greatest OS to know whether it's an acceptable alternative to Windows 7 all together.

I feel like Microsof's statement with Windows 8 was...."Your no longer an individual person. Your just another brick in the wall. A number to us. Your going to use the color purple and white for everything because we have arbitrarily decided that you will. We are not going to let you use a start menu anymore because we have arbitrarily decided that you should be browsing our Metro interface shopping and spending money, not looking to launch productive software. You are no longer an individual. You are a brick, a sheep, a cow in a herd that we will lead down one linear path."

I think Julie Larson said it best. "We didn't want the user to have to make ANY choices!".
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/508311/the-woman-charged-with-making-windows-8-succeed/
"We didn’t want you to have to make a choice."

No Julie Larson, truth be told, you didn't want to allow us, the consumers, to do what WE WANT with the operating system license that WE paid for.

THAT is why Windows 8 was rejected the world over. Not because of a lack of a ^#%^#^ start menu for peters sake. At least thats why I rejected it. Theft of my choices, my flexibility and my power because Microsoft single-handedly decided so.

Windows 8 could have succeeded if it had been handled differently. If touch had been marketed as an option to the operating system and not forced down people's throats. "Bu...bu...bu....but nobody forced you to buy Windows 8." That's right. They didn't. And I didn't. :)

If I wanted to be treated like a cattle I'd buy an iPhone!!!

Last edited:
Windows Security patches a month is more than enough I think sometimes.

They aren't going to make any system 100% secure from Hackers Microsoft have messed up numbers of times and so has Google, they're all similar, and those patches will help a fraction, the rest of Security is common sense as well as keeping things up to date.

Microsoft's biggest insult thrown at them, is no doubt Windows 8, no one seems to like it, the mistakes they made was to run Windows 8 on everything including non touch, which Is stupid, touch is what its designed for.

They should have axed the familiar Desktop on Windows tablets, it was very confusing at the time.
They should have had just a Metro GUI.

At the Time Microsoft were fighting a battle to stay in the competition,

Literally Microsoft were like "OMG, people are beginning to stop using Windows and buy Tablets and Phones instead, this means we're going to lose money, and Market Share eventually.
I know we'll release a new operating system it'll run on phones, and Tablets, but we're Microsoft, the king of PCs, we'll put Windows 8 on everything they'll have no choice but to use it, to convince them, we'll chuck in the familiar Desktop,

If I worked for Microsoft, there would be 7 sp2 not a Windows 8. I would have kept all the features in 7, not removed anything. I would've got made an announcement to end sp1 support, helped users update to the free sp2 then made sp2 a critical update, which says support is ending for your current Sp1, don't worry, here's sp2, which we'll continue to support, I would have assured them nothings changed its exactly the same, just a massive new feature added, and more support.

New feature
A folder called Apps, so when you open the Menu, unlike Windows 8 the user isn't bombarded with tiles, they just click Apps, and the tiles are revealed in a neat order, the user can pin the tiles where they want on their Desktop, or in the Menu, and customise them how they want, and if they don't like the apps I would have allowed them to hide them.

Hi

No company would be in their right mind to tell you or promise you that their Security. Always will be better and you'll never be hacked, it's true you can get a Virus on Android, simply because you can roam elsewhere from their store and could accidentally Download the wrong App.

Android is more popular than any of the operating systems on devices, so there will be Hackers 90.9% of the time will attempt to break through.

Windows, Is no better, they know that, they've admitted it, but they aren't.going to always b er there for people all the time, they've got more things to do.

90% of viruses and hijacking is caused by the user being careless, the computer will never download something unless someone tells it to. They're the most popular Desktop Operating system, server Operating system, Hackers will target Microsoft 99.9% of the time.

Google is not to blame, look at the "google play" devices, they get updates alot earlier than "non-google play" ones

all the nexus devices gets updates when they are released

you can think of android as a linux distro, there are many forks like samsung fork, sony fork, huwai fork, oneplus one fork

some forks are faster than others

I think the point is that Google should have taken control from the get go, and not allowed 3rd parties the choice of whether or not to push out security patches.

Oh please don't you dare say that specially when microsoft is in no position what so ever to give advice about patches or security, they are the worst I mean come on a security hole from windows 95/98 is also in windows up to 8(if its actually been patched).. is still here... I mean... seriously... lecture google go on...

Microsoft slams google for lack of security patches but fails to mention that they are far better at actually making a platform secure, Quality over Quantity & microsoft fails horribly at this

Back