TechSpot

Microsoft sweetens XP upgrade offers as support deadline nears

By Shawn Knight
Mar 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is sweetening the pot in hopes of getting holdouts to switch from their dated Windows XP machine to something a bit more modern. Last week, the Redmond-based company offered a $50 gift card to those purchasing a Windows 8.1...

Read more

2. I have april 9th circled on my calendar so I can start releasing the kraken viruses!

hopgop1 likes this.
  3. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

Imagine the deals when the time comes to wean us from Win 7...

wastedkill likes this.
  4. You can not pay me to use Windows.

5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,557   +2,900

They will need something better than Windows 8, that is for sure! I'd go back to WinXP, before I moved forward with Win8. And if Win9 still has those ugly squares and dull frame borders, I will not be moving forward with Win9 either. I'm not gonna rely on third party apps, for something that should be built into the OS.

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

We're quite safe with 7 for the moment. Only when or 10 or whatever gets released will we possibly know our fate.

7. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

Do everyone a favour and offer a support package, we pay 30$ for continued support. I own windows 7 personally.

8. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Guru Posts: 410   +88

Offer me a discounted upgrade and I'll take it. I like my hardware just fine.

9. jacques

jacques TS Rookie Posts: 22

Watch them extending the deadline lol

10. To bad they will not let people upgrade Windows XP to Windows 7 instead of downgrade Windows XP to Windows 8.

11. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 285   +33

I wish they made the discount online, I still have an old capable PC with license windows XP. I dont see a good reason to buy a new system just to use Windows8.

Tanstar likes this.
  12. Tanstar

Tanstar TS Guru Posts: 410   +88

Exactly! Make that a $100 discount on the software and I'd do it for security reasons.