Microsoft thinks you should be using Edge, not Firefox or Chrome, and will tell you why

dkpope

Staff

Microsoft has a history of "encouraging" their users into using a specific browser, and this is just the latest story. VentureBeat reports that the first time you search “Firefox” or “Chrome” in Bing on your Windows 10 device, you’ll get a banner over the search results that says “Microsoft recommends Edge for Windows 10.” A “Learn why” button links to a page filled with reasons to use Edge.

The Inquirer picked up the story, but added that they weren’t able to replicate the results because they’re in the UK. Unlike in the United States, Microsoft has gotten into trouble before with the European Commission in regard to its web browser. That led to a rule that users must be offered many different browser options -- a company can’t pre-choose the default for you. The Inquirer says the rule expired last year, but served to open the browser market to a more even competition.

A Microsoft spokesperson talked with VentureBeat and confirmed the messages, and made a case for Edge by saying it was “designed exclusively for Windows 10 with features and functionality that enhance the browsing experience.” The spokesperson said the intent of the banner messages, which don’t appear every time, is “to provide people with quick, easy information that can help them get to know these experiences better.” But Microsoft says that there is still the option to choose a different default browser and search engine if Edge isn't your favorite.

And thank goodness for that. Because if not, there would be pandemonium in the streets.

Permalink to story.

Edge is not bad, it's a decent alternative and I'd rather use it before Firefox or Opera but I don't like it as much as Chrome so I won't be making the switch permanently, if ever anytime soon.

Ms, go and stick that new ie a place the sun doesnt shine! and here is why: its still internet explorer!

Yeah microsoft can kiss my foot. I use mozilla and that`s final. It`s open source and less buggy. It`s a free country, they can`t tell me what browser to use and what not to use.

OMG microsoft putting their products first the EU will sue them just like they did every company who put their own products before their competitors.

Microsoft got sued because they used their monopolistic position to push IE.

Microsoft using only Windows 10 (far from the most used Windows version), only pushing Edge (only available on Windows 10, so no issue, at least not yet if anything) and only pushing it in Bing result (a far 2nd place searching engine compared to Google) makes the chances of Microsoft getting sued again a perfect 0%.

Google on the other hand, pushing Chrome on all platform when using a Google search and even BEFORE actually making a search, is just asking for a trial for actually using a monopolistic position for pushing their own product. How do you think Chrome became more popular than IE, Firefox or Opera in the span of just 7 years compared to ~2 decades for the rest of competitors ?

I fail to see any overwhelming reason to switch over to Edge. Oh, it's an OK product but I still think they have a long way to go and frankly, I just don't see much of a difference between it and the old explorer ... Granted it's not nearly as annoying as those constant attempts to get you to use their new Office Suite, but some things are annoying. I guess their marketing department is now trying to "sell the sizzle, not the steak".

I have always said it: what the EU did with Microsoft and his "monopoly" practices is far beyond leveling the playing field. Does Android ask you what browser you want, does iOS or Mac OS [in the EU]? Give me a break.

Edge is not bad, it's a decent alternative and I'd rather use it before Firefox or Opera but I don't like it as much as Chrome so I won't be making the switch permanently, if ever anytime soon.

It would be interesting to hear your reasons. Mozilla focuses a lot in true privacy and Microsoft in gathering more data so that Cortana can be more "useful".

OK first, I still think the "European Commission" levies fines to afford its member lavish vacations in exotic locations.

And "Edge", likely isn't any different than M$' other crap browsers (*).. An OS needs a browser, and this one gets installed to fill that obligation.. Those that are gullible or stupid enough, will accept it without question. People with "good sense", will come to Techspot and debate the relative merits of "browser X", vs "browser Y", incessantly, ad infinitum. The people who use "Edge" without question, would likely view that as, "not having a real life". But who cares what they think, we know better, don't we? Er, don't we?:confused:

(*) Although Internet Explorer with Active X controls was unquestionably, a stinker,:eek::D(n)

Last edited:
Google/Chrome are annoying with their selective search results and political agenda. I'd be using Edge right now if it had Plug-ins. I need AdBlocker and Dashlane.

Google/Chrome are annoying with their selective search results and political agenda. I'd be using Edge right now if it had Plug-ins. I need AdBlocker and Dashlane.
Well, who on earth told you to install "Chrome" in the first place? Or did you have installed for you, "free", by some other program?

Besides, I have this paranoid fantasy that whatever content blocker you install in Chrome, Google won't allow it to work on their BS anyway.

Well since I installed windows 10, I never used chrome again, thank God I found a second best Explorer to Opera, since chrome is horrible.

I attempted to use it 3 times for browsing, Twice it just crashed and once it was so slow it might have well have crashed. So it is relegated to PDF viewing and nothing more. Am I the only one with this problem ?

Don't really see it as a chrome replacement at this point.

Is this any different from chrome showing their "get chrome" buttons when a user searches with IE? I notice this a lot when fixing/ installing systems.

Edit: Actually just tried it out on edge and the popup actually is there still. "A better way to browse the web. Get Google Chrome". Why can't they do what their competitors do?

I attempted to use it 3 times for browsing, Twice it just crashed and once it was so slow it might have well have crashed. So it is relegated to PDF viewing and nothing more. Am I the only one with this problem ?

Don't really see it as a chrome replacement at this point.
Relax, M$ will have the bugs worked out by Windows 10, Service Pack 2, maybe even sooner.... (y)*nerd*

Well since I installed windows 10, I never used chrome again, thank God I found a second best Explorer to Opera, since chrome is horrible.

The omnibox turned me off Chrome, and the lack of a working ad blocker for IE left Firefox as my preferred web browser.

Edge is too spartan.

Back