Microsoft to kill free Xbox Music streaming this December

Scorpus

Staff member

Free music streaming destinations are getting more scarce, with Microsoft today announcing that from December 1st it will no longer be offering a free, ad-supported Xbox Music streaming option. Moving forwards, to access the streaming music service you will have to pay $9.99 per month for an Xbox Music Pass.

Microsoft isn't being too specific on why they're dropping the free music streaming option. In their FAQ on the matter, the company said they are focusing their efforts on delivering the "ultimate music purchase and subscription service experience for our customers". It appears that switching to a paid-only model is part of their plans.

Free music streaming was an option through Xbox Music on Windows 8.1 and on the web; to stream on mobile devices you had to purchase the Xbox Music Pass anyway. People who have purchased an Xbox Music Pass, or have purchased individual tracks or albums through the service, will be unaffected by the changes.

Dropping free streaming brings the feature set of Xbox Music closer to some of its competitors, such as Google Play Music. However, streaming music big guns Spotify still offer free streaming through their desktop, web and mobile apps, so if you really want to continue listening for free you'll have to switch services.

Permalink to story.

I think $10 is too much for such a service, especially when most of the music I have, I have already bought, it was a nice service to see what new stuff was coming out. Guess I'll either stop using it or just switch services.

I think $10 is too much for such a service, especially when most of the music I have, I have already bought, it was a nice service to see what new stuff was coming out. Guess I'll either stop using it or just switch services.

I made a mistake in the comment, I was going to say "most of the music I listen to", not sure why I wrote something else.

I made a mistake in the comment, I was going to say "most of the music I listen to", not sure why I wrote something else.

FYI, you can jump to "forum mode" on the bottom link to edit you post.

Back